Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UPDATED] 2 die in Tesla crash - NHTSA reports driver seat occupied

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that is practically impossible, at least for the side windows, since they are too strong. You might have better luck with the windshield, but still difficult.

About 30 years ago, a friend and I happened upon a car that had driven off the road and through a parking lot, only to run into the side of a brick building. The driver was slumped over the wheel. I ran to call 911 at a business down the road (no cell phones). My friend tried to break the window and extricate the guy. He found a brick and hurled it at the window 8 times, but it did not break. Ultimately the police arrived and got the guy out. I think the conclusion was that he died of a heart attack while at the wheel.

If you need to break a window, you need to use something hard and pointy to apply force to a small area of the glass, causing it to fracture. That is why glass hammers and the like all have pointy bits. (Here I'm referring to the tempered glass typically found on side windows, as opposed to the laminated glass of the windshield.)

or we can call Franz von Holzhausen.

I wondered if we knew that. Since the A and C pillars burned away, I'd be surprised if there was anything left of the seat to know its position.

I saw that it was the rear seats in the S. I'm just pointing to that as an example of Tesla being called out in the past for their poor choices materials or safety engineering compromises.
Hmm. Sounds like you're trying to come to a conclusion unsupported by evidence by associating it with totally unrelated, previously resolved issues.

Do you have proof that materials used in Teslas resulted in any collisions with morbidity or mortality of occupants, or are you speculating? Unless you do, repeating that Tesla has been called out for "poor choices materials or safety engineering compromises" is laughable.

I would rather be in a Tesla in a collision than any other car. Statistics bear this out.

Wow! That is rich!
So, key evidence is being withheld to protect the reputation of a constable, WHILE the entire media plus some senators publicly SMEAR the reputation of Tesla causing $billions in harm to investors with FAKE news that would be discredited by existing evidence. The untouchable constable whose reputation is more precious than anyone can ever imagine!

don’t believe everything that gets tweeted. Is that dude a reputable source or just a dude on the internet. Because I have an eye witness from inside the car that swears it was on autopilot

Biggest problem with the tweet is that tries to throw shade at the Cop dude too hard. Sure he seems to be a imbecile, but how would the CI know what his motive is? And if he is going to be proved wrong and some point, and he knows it, why is he worried about his reputation when he knows it’s ****ed already?

• Disagree
Reactions: Demonofelru
I think it probably depends on a lot of factors. Original window strength, coatings/tinting, window age, amount of force, surface area of pressure, compressibility of impact object, etc etc. I know of side windows surviving multiple multiple blows of a mini sledge being throw a them (in a junk yard), and I'm sure some also break easily. I think it just depends. That all being said, given the men were in their 60-70's, they might not have had the strength to break a window, especially after a violent crash.
Fair enough. I imagine my Edge was a fair bit cheaper than my M3 so possibly Ford cheaped out on the windows. I don’t know.

Maybe it’s my relative “youth” and inexperience vs these two but my first thought if I can’t open the door would be do whatever it takes to get out the window. These theories of going through the trunk?... no way I would be in a state of mind to even think ok that. Door first, then window

Biggest problem with the tweet is that tries to throw shade at the Cop dude too hard. Sure he seems to be a imbecile, but how would the CI know what his motive is? And if he is going to be proved wrong and some point, and he knows it, why is he worried about his reputation when he knows it’s ****ed already?
Has that ever stopped politicians from trying to hide / suppress stuff ?

I think that is practically impossible, at least for the side windows, since they are too strong. You might have better luck with the windshield, but still difficult.

It's very possible that you would not be able to break out a side window by kicking it. To add one more case, when I was a teen, I was hiking with some friends and we found an old car in the woods. It had one rear window intact. We tried kicking it out with no luck. After determining our shoes absorbed too much impact and we needed a sharper impact, we tried a fist sized rock. It took 3 tries but we did get it to break by throwing the rock as hard as we could. I imagine it would have been nearly impossible to try to kick it out from inside where you can't even "wind up" as much as from the outside. We didn't even try that since the car was really rotted out from sitting in the woods for years: lots of rusted bits inside.

Edit: by "one rear window", I meant the rear side window (driver's side).

Mike

Last edited:
Hmm. Sounds like you're trying to come to a conclusion unsupported by evidence
You mean like the majority of the speculation in this thread?

The photo posted in response to my comment shows clearly shows the seat was upright so that discounts my speculation.

You may feel safer in your Tesla than any other vehicle. I don't.

Avoidance of an accident vs survivability of an accident are two different things. Personally, I'm not sure where my Tesla falls in either of those categories. As an older driver I find the reliance on me touching the screen accurately for a number of important driving functions is a major distraction and distracted drivers have more accidents.

As for surviving in a crash, I am not convinced of the superiority of my Tesla over my old Prius V which at least had curtain airbag rear seat protection in a side-impact collision. That is something that is important to not only parents but also to me because on long trips I travel in the back seat so I can work while not doing my turn at the wheel. The fact that my 'wonderful' Tesla has this safety engineering compromise and is a downgrade from my 2012 Prius is a major disappointment.

One of the reasons I've been reading this thread so closely is concern about my ability to get out of my car in an emergency (stemminf from my belief that the driver moved to the back seat when unable to exit from the front doors.) At least now I know where the hidden back seat door release is in my ModelY and will modify that to make it more accessible. The odds are much greater than zero that I'll be in that backseat in an accident.

As an older driver I find the reliance on me touching the screen accurately for a number of important driving functions is a major distraction and distracted drivers have more accidents.
Aside: What specific important driving functions? Have you tried the many voice commands? Seems like that would help. I use AP in most places (suburban driving and highway) so that makes me a lot more comfortable being distracted for a few extra seconds while I find a new station or nav route or whatever.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16 and EVNow
Yep, it’s 100 percent fake. His only twits are about the wreck and he predetermined Tesla was innocent
As the tweeter says it was created to post anonymous account to post specifically this information about this accident.

So, duh, it is new and posts about this info. Its a burner account.

This in itself doesn't make it either fake or genuine.

No, but this tweet is still fake.

Nah. As I said - assume this is a 15 year old kid (perhaps a fan of Musk) - who gets this information from his friend who lives in that lane. He is angry with the police for *not* disclosing this information to the press - and makes some assumptions about intentions of the constable.

Aside: What specific important driving functions? Have you tried the many voice commands? Seems like that would help. I use AP in most places (suburban driving and highway) so that makes me a lot more comfortable being distracted for a few extra seconds while I find a new station or nav route or whatever.

I was going to say the same thing. There are MANY voice commands I didn’t even realize were there. Even like “split vent air” will split the air for you on the driver side. There really is no need to touch the screen. If people are that concerned about safety using the touch screen, they don’t know how to properly use the car. And if for whatever reason they “do” need to use the touch screen, turn on lane keeping for a few seconds.

As the tweeter says it was created to post anonymous account to post specifically this information about this accident.

So, duh, it is new and posts about this info. Its a burner account.

This in itself doesn't make it either fake or genuine.

Nah. As I said - assume this is a 15 year old kid (perhaps a fan of Musk) - who gets this information from his friend who lives in that lane. He is angry with the police for *not* disclosing this information to the press - and makes some assumptions about intentions of the constable.

plausible, but I follow the kiss method for most things....the guys drove the car into the tree and this twitter account is fake.