Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UPDATED] 2 die in Tesla crash - NHTSA reports driver seat occupied

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can somebody give a map where the accident append because they say accident append at high speed normally you can't go at high speed on local road only 10 km/h and now autopilot on others roads detect speed limit for me this accident is not on autopilot.

I saw plenty of accident with m3 cars rarely they caught on fire , this accident certainly append at very high speed !
Are the drivers are drunk ? Normally yo have a emergency open door manual open door no need energy for that why on the rear seat they not use it ???

Do we know if this was a Model 3 or a Model S.

If its the Model 3 the rear doors are the ones that are a bit of a death trap. But, the front doors have mechanical door switches so one is better of using those to get out of the car in an emergency situation. They probably didn't know about them though.

Edit - It was a Model S.

It definitely checks the seatbelt as it won't let me take off my coat while driving with AP enabled.

I simply can't see how AP was engaged in this incident due to the high rate of speed in a neighborhood cul-de-sac. Supposedly they crashed within a few hundred yards of where they started.
Do we know if this was a Model 3 or a Model S.

If its the Model 3 the rear doors are the ones that are a bit of a death trap. But, the front doors have mechanical door switches so one is better of using those to get out of the car in an emergency situation. They probably didn't know about them though.

Edit - It was a Model S.
2019 S supposedly not 100%. red calipers.

What do we know?

The Vehicle was a 2019 Model S
One of the victims was 59 years old, and the other was 69 years old.
Neither victim owned the car or was that familiar with it
One victim was found in the passenger seat, and the other victim was found in the rear seat.
Was a high speed crash into a tree in a neighborhood not far from the owner of the car

Given what we know I think its highly unlikely it was on AP due to the requirements AP has for the seatbelt, and the seat weight sensor. Instead its more likely that it was a tragic misengagement of the throttle at the wrong time, and they simply couldn't get out of the vehicle for some reason.

Here is the article that I got some of the "what we know" information from.

What makes the story interesting is that investigators are certain no one was driving the car.
... they are 100% certain that no one was in the driver seat driving that vehicle at the time of impact. They are positive," Herman said. "And again, the height from the back seat to the front seat, that would be almost impossible, but again our investigators are trained to handle collisions. Several of our folks are reconstructionist, but they feel very confident just with the positioning of the bodies after the impact that there was no one driving that vehicle.”

What makes the story interesting is that investigators are certain no one was driving the car.

Doesn't sound like they know a whole lot about the vehicle, and the fact that there is a rather large opening between the two front seats to crawl to the back.

Or the fact that people have been burned alive in a Model S before after high speed crashes.

I would certainly rank moving from the front to the rear as being more plausible than two people who are unfamiliar with the vehicle going through everything required to engage AP.

As soon as you shift your weight off the seat a Model S will stop. People have had this happen when backing up when they lift their butts.

It looks about 400ft from the end of the cul de sac to the fire hydrant, not much slope to the road. No road markings or centre line as it's residential.

Can anyone tell if that street is properly mapped?

If the two occupants were not familiar with the car it seems unlikely they were using AP or FSD beta, and it does seem unlikely they could have reached high speed in 400ft on AP anyway.

It also implies they did not survive the crash before the fire, the rear occupant found upright rather than attempting to open a door. The seats appear vertical so I can't imagine the driver was thrown into the back. Just how did they get to high speed then? Very odd.

Last edited:
Does anyone have that type of car? Could you enable Ludicrous (or not), set AP to 60 and see how long it takes to go 400ft. Or does AP not work that way from a stop?

It's got to be barely a couple of seconds, not enough time to start driving, engage AP and crawl into the back seat (maybe the passenger seat though).

Assuming no one was in the driver's seat then, through defeating safety systems, perhaps the owner set it up and has done this before. Passenger engages AP or steps on accelerator until AP can be engaged. Either is unsuccessful in engaging AP while still pressing the accelerator or does engage AP but knocks the wheel or otherwise disengages AP. Or does engage AP but AP falls to make the turn.

Possibly passenger was the driver and rear passenger was always rear passenger.

I'll bet the owner knows what they did because he's done it before. Just when they decided to try it, it didn't work.

There has to be a better way to put out these fires.

4 hours of firefighters’ time and 30,000 gallons of water? What a complete and unnecessary waste of resources.
[Not related to thread but interesting]

Now try that in the Vegas Loop. (With no tunnel sprinklers)

8.1.1 Automatic Sprinkler Systems
Tunnels:
NFPA 130 does not require automatic sprinkler protection in guideway tunnels per NFPA 130 Section 6.
Refer to Appendix F – Segmental Tunnel Lining Calculations, which addresses fire-resistance of tunnel structure.

8.1.2 Standpipe Systems
Tunnels:
A subsurface automatic wet standpipe system will be provided in the tunnels for use by the CCFD as per NFPA 130, Sections 6.4.5.1 and 6.4.5.4. The standpipe will be C900 PVC or an approved equivalent and located beneath the drive surface; an Alternative Materials and Methods Request (AMMR) for the use of C900 PVC or an approved equivalent has been provided to CCFP.
As per CCFD request, 2.5” hose connections will be provided at 164 ft spacing, and they will be located in the road surface.

The system will be sized for 250 gpm as per system geometry, fire testing and CCFD request. 250 gpm is based on the use of one hose valve for the suppression of a vehicle fire. The use of two hose outlets is not anticipated due to the tunnel geometry and the use of the emergency ventilation system, which only allows firefighting on one side of the incident vehicle.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: daktari
Would be interesting to find out if they died because of the crash for not wearing seat belts or because of the fire.

If it's first one - I feel more sorry for the firefighters for having wasted their time and potentially delayed saving someone else...

If it's the second - what's the purpose of the titanium plate in the Model S if it can't buy enough time to get out?

Either way, more details are needed...

Reactions: Ulmo