Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UPDATED] 2 die in Tesla crash - NHTSA reports driver seat occupied

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One has to prove that:
1. AP can be enabled in that street starting from that same exact point where they started driving
2. AP can be enabled without a weight on the driver seat (100% not possible)
3. AP can be enabled without seat belt being buckled (100% not possible)
5. AP had wrong speed data for that road
6. AP will can race to 50 mph or above on that street

All of these has to be proved. Even of one of them is cannot be proved, then it completely absolves AP

#7 - AP can be enabled from a stop (100% not possible without a car in front of it).

Could the Tesla records about the owner not buying FSD wrong? It happened to me. I did not order my car (T3) with FSD but paid $3000 for FSD when I took delivery and they amended the invoice. I received all the FSD updates just like others and FSD seem to have worked for me. As this car is mostly driven by my wife I did not get to drive that much. Finally I put out a Service call to upgrade my computer. Then they came back saying I have to pay $5000 or so for that. I sent them the copy of my invoice (strangely it was on their website too) and they replaced my computer for free and now I do have FSD. So Musk saying they did not buy FSD could be wrong.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Could the Tesla records about the owner not buying FSD wrong? It happened to me. I did not order my car (T3) with FSD but paid $3000 for FSD when I took delivery and they amended the invoice. I received all the FSD updates just like others and FSD seem to have worked for me. As this car is mostly driven by my wife I did not get to drive that much. Finally I put out a Service call to upgrade my computer. Then they came back saying I have to pay $5000 or so for that. I sent them the copy of my invoice (strangely it was on their website too) and they replaced my computer for free and now I do have FSD. So Musk saying they did not buy FSD could be wrong.

It's entirely possible, but FSD wouldn't have made any difference.

There could be MANY things wrong with this whole story. At least, I can say that the AP in my M3 doesn't let me to accelerate to a faster speed than some 35mph over the distance of 400ft.

Reactions: Big Earl and Yuri_G
The only way I can see the driver being mistaken for a rear passenger is if he maneuvered to the rear and then sat like normal pulling on the door handle while shoulder ramming the door? Then fumes or a heart attack? How fast do you have to be going, or to come to a stop, for two people to be knocked unconscious?

This is a quote from a NYTimes article “Texas Police Investigate Fatal Tesla Crash Near Houston” today, 4/20. Think we’ll see little further information coming out now.

“Constable investigators were working with the N.T.S.B., the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and Tesla, which was “helping with our investigation,” Constable Herman said in a statement. “At this time, we will refrain from making any additional statements as the investigation continues to progress,” he said.”

• Informative
Reactions: alexgr
This is a quote from a NYTimes article “Texas Police Investigate Fatal Tesla Crash Near Houston” today, 4/20. Think we’ll see little further information coming out now.

“Constable investigators were working with the N.T.S.B., the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and Tesla, which was “helping with our investigation,” Constable Herman said in a statement. “At this time, we will refrain from making any additional statements as the investigation continues to progress,” he said.”
Oh, that - refraining from stupid statements - would be great to exercise from the beginning, Constable Herman. BTW, Constable is a political position in Texas. Herman, a republican, was reelected last year. That explains why he tried to catch his couple days of fame giving interviews left and right.

...“Constable investigators were working with the N.T.S.B., the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and Tesla, which was “helping with our investigation,” Constable Herman said in a statement. “At this time, we will refrain from making any additional statements as the investigation continues to progress,” he said.”

All parties to the investigation are gagged by NTSB. If they are talkative, the penalty is they would no longer be a party to the investigation.

It is desirable to be a party to the investigation because you can input and make correction requests all behind the scene if you don't approve NTSB findings prior to the public announcement.

Tesla is being penalized right now because it's being shut out of what NTSB is finding, thinking, planning... To know all that, Tesla has to wait for NTSB to make an announcement to the public.

The advantage of being penalized is Tesla is free to disclose the car logs to the public without being gagged by the NTSB.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl and DanCar
Found this from an article in the Daily Beast. No direct source quoted.

“According to local police, the two men’s wives heard them discussing the Autopilot system when they left their homes earlier that day.”

The “earlier that day” was different than saying the guys were talking about it right before the took off. No additional info provided on what exactly was the nature or substance of their discussion.

All parties to the investigation are gagged by NTSB. If they are talkative, the penalty is they would no longer be a party to the investigation.

It is desirable to be a party to the investigation because you can input and make correction requests all behind the scene if you don't approve NTSB findings prior to the public announcement.

Tesla is being penalized right now because it's being shut out of what NTSB is finding, thinking, planning... To know all that, Tesla has to wait for NTSB to make an announcement to the public.

The advantage of being penalized is Tesla is free to disclose the car logs to the public without being gagged by the NTSB.
One of the articles I linked to above about the investigation had stated that Tesla was not made a party to this investigation.

Found this from an article in the Daily Beast. No direct source quoted.

“According to local police, the two men’s wives heard them discussing the Autopilot system when they left their homes earlier that day.”

The “earlier that day” was different than saying the guys were talking about it right before the took off. No additional info provided on what exactly was the nature or substance of their discussion.
Maybe they also discussed Russian hackers?

• Helpful
Reactions: ZsoZso and mrElbe

“We have witness statements from people that said they left to test drive the vehicle without a driver and to show the friend how it can drive itself,” Herman added.

Mark Herman, Harris County Constable Precinct 4, said evidence including witness statements clearly indicated there was nobody in the driver's seat of the Model S when it crashed into a tree, killing two people, on Saturday night.

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
“We have witness statements from people that said they left to test drive the vehicle without a driver and to show the friend how it can drive itself,” Herman added.

Mark Herman, Harris County Constable Precinct 4, said evidence including witness statements clearly indicated there was nobody in the driver's seat of the Model S when it crashed into a tree, killing two people, on Saturday night.
It's already been reported there were no witnesses to the crash itself, especially as the fire was called in as a 'forest fire'. The only eye witnesses to where the bodies were found would have been the firemen at least 2-3 minutes later.

"Witness" does not necessarily mean someone who witnessed the accident, the car driving along, or anything else that happened before , during and immediately after the crash.

Reactions: MP3Mike and Yuri_G
I'm more concerned how the battery supposedly exploded. From the burnt and melted wreckage, it appears that the frontal impact could not have reached the battery. You can still see the front motor that took some of the impact but appears to still be located in front of the battery pack.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS

People often make all sorts of dumb conclusions. If the driver simply said, "I'm going to show you how it can drive itself without needing me to drive"... it's a BIG leap to assume an experienced doctor and engineer meant by that statement: "I'm going to turn on autopilot and then get in the back seat"! But people make stipid assumptions like that all the time. The mere fact that they found out later no one was in the driver's seat makes them interpret "I'm going to show you how it self drives" differently.

Mike