Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UPDATED] 2 die in Tesla crash - NHTSA reports driver seat occupied

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm. I’m not sure about that. I have fsd and I can’t activate it on roads without lane markings...... I can activate tacc....

what are the differences?

I have FSD, but this isn't something I've ever tried.

I'm not questioning that its possible to engage AP on roads without lane marking as Elon is basically confirming that its possible with that tweet (why he specifically mentions standard Autopilot). We've also seen videos of it.

I'm simply questioning why Tesla thought it was a good idea to allow it to be activated in areas its going to do really badly in, and not just that but activation is going to be so hit and miss.

I'm sure that when I get around to trying it that it's going to take a bit of hunting around to find a road without lanes that it will activate on.

Do you have Basic AP, EAP, or FSD?

The problem with activating AP is that we either know or we have reason to believe that Basic AP has different requirements for activating AP. In Elons tweet he specifically said "standard Autopilot would require lane lines to turn on".

I'm not sure what point there is in being able to activate the current FSD on roads without lanes, but for some reason FSD allows for this at least in some cases.

I have basic AP. Which is what the subject vehicle had, according to Elon.

The Tesla Model S Emergency Response Guide for First and Second Responders gives this information:

Contact Us
First Responders and Second Responders with emergencies, call Tesla Roadside Assistance.
Refer to Roadside Assistance for the applicable number.
The Model S Owner’s Manual and first responder information can be found at www.tesla.com/firstresponders
First responders and training officers who have questions, contact [email protected].

www.tesla.com/support/roadside-assistance gets to this:
Roadside Assistance United States
Toll Free: 877 798 3752
This is pure FUD. Nowhere the manual for first responders directs them to call Tesla during the response. You are just making this look like it does. There is even no phone number in the manual.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyberGus
You mean silent asphyxiation by CO in the garage with the motor running?
Oh, wait, that might not work any more

Thankfully we live in a world where Google can answer most any question.

If you google how do anesthesiologist commit suicide you'll get the following entirely unsurprising answer.

"My registry also shows that most of these doctors kill themselves by overdose. Many have been found dead in hospital call rooms where they are supposed to be resting between cases."

This is pure FUD. Nowhere the manual for first responders directs them to call Tesla during the response. You are just making this look like it does. There is even no phone number in the manual.
What are you talking about. It's directly in the guide, "Model S Emergency Response Guide" page 28 "Contact Us"
Then the website link. Then if you click on the link you get the phone number. Tesla didn't include the phone number but they did include the website link.

Aside: Why would you downvote a direct quote from a Tesla Emergency Manual?

Do you have Basic AP, EAP, or FSD?

The problem with activating AP is that we either know or we have reason to believe that Basic AP has different requirements for activating AP. In Elons tweet he specifically said "standard Autopilot would require lane lines to turn on".

I'm not sure what point there is in being able to activate the current FSD on roads without lanes, but for some reason FSD allows for this at least in some cases.
I don't think there is a difference between standard AP and FSD (not the real FSD) activation. I have FSD and it doesn't let you activate without lines. Should one may find a glitch, but my guess is that such glitches will be equally treated by standard AP and FSD.

Reactions: jsmay311 and mrElbe
What are you talking about. It's directly in the guide, "Model S Emergency Response Guide" page 28 "Contact Us"
Then the website link. Then if you click on the link you get the phone number. Tesla didn't include the phone number but they did include the website link.

Because you gave it as a response to the claim that first responders are not directed to call roadside assistance [during response]. Do you call your car manufacturer every morning starting your car because the manual says Contact Us? AND, the responders manual does NOT provide a phone number.

• Love
Reactions: Dan D.
I'm not questioning that its possible to engage AP on roads without lane marking ... We've also seen videos of it.

I'm simply questioning why Tesla thought it was a good idea to allow it to be activated in areas its going to do really badly in, and not just that but activation is going to be so hit and miss.
Given that once AP is activated it will stay activated even if the lines on the road go away, at what point do you think AP should deactivate? Obviously they didn't want AP to keep deactivating while you're driving, but if the road degenerates to a point that AP would never activate at all why does it keep running then? Just curious, I'm not sure what I'd do in their position either.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200

Do you own a Tesla vehicle?

• Helpful
  • Disagree
Reactions: ZsoZso and jsmay311

Because the tinfoil hat is on too tight.

I don't think there is a difference between standard AP and FSD (not the real FSD) activation. I have FSD and it doesn't let you activate without lines. Should one may find a glitch, but my guess is that such glitches will be equally treated by standard AP and FSD.

We've seen numerous videos, and user reports that FSD equipped vehicles can activate on roads without lines. That it's at least possible in some cases.

In the comment section of the Arstechnica article one user reported:
"My partner and I both have M3's. His has the FSD package (not the Beta), mine only has the basic Autopilot. I drove both yesterday and can confirm the one with FSD will activate on roads without markers and the one with basic Autopilot will not."

The Houston Chronicle has an article this morning identifying the passenger. While we talk about the accident situation, I know we all mourn the loss of the two lives lost here and feel for their friends and family. I’m sure they both touched the lives of many around them. Regardless of how this happened we lost a Tesla owner and a good friend of his.

I think whether or not it is possible to activate AP on some streets where AP might see a seam or unpainted line in the center is of little interest. My main question remains: how does a 60 year old accelerate to an unsafe speed, activate AP, and get in the back seat, all within 300 feet of driving distance (~5 seconds or less)?

Mike

The Houston Chronicle has an article this morning identifying the passenger. While we talk about the accident situation, I know we all mourn the loss of the two lives lost here and feel for their friends and family. I’m sure they both touched the lives if many around them. Regardless of how this happened we lost a Tesla owner and a good friend of his.

The MOST important thing to remember.

What important is what Elon didn't say.

He only said you can't do Autopilot without lane markers but he DID NOT say you can't do that with TACC.

To be complete, he should say: No on Autopilot and yes on TACC for no lane markers.
I have tested TACC in my M3 and I don't think I can even get to 40mph with it over 400 ft distance they had. Please guys, go and really try to accelerate your car on TACC/AP/FSD over 400 ft before even suggesting that the car could hit the tree at a high (50+mph I guess) speed without somebody pushing on the accelerator.

The Houston Chronicle has an article this morning identifying the passenger. While we talk about the accident situation, I know we all mourn the loss of the two lives lost here and feel for their friends and family. I’m sure they both touched the lives of many around them. Regardless of how this happened we lost a Tesla owner and a good friend of his.

Hmmmm. Talbots back in my ancestor line. All of us are related somewhere up the line.

Reactions: T-Mom