Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 Drive Unit Failure Within 8 Days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree. Tesla should do a detailed investigation on this one to determine the cause of these failures. May be ask them to keep the car at least a few days extra and do additional tests to make sure the new motor is getting the power it needs at the correct times. May be ask them to do a full diagnostic of the electrical system and multipoint inspection too.
I guess I'm naive enough to think that this is automatically done any time there's a drive unit failure.

Reactions: ord3r
I can feel your pain. Same issue happened to us twice in our new 2023 MYLR in less than a week.

President's Day my wife and young daughter were driving in the vehicle on a winding road near our home. Vehicle came to a complete stop with the same error messages. They were stuck in a blind corner. Thankfully two Good Samaritans on motorcycles stopped to direct traffic till the Sheriffs showed up, otherwise it could have been a very bad situation.

Tesla Service Station said it was a defective RDU and Inverter and replaced them. We spoke with the Tech directly to gain comfort it wouldn't happen again. He said they ran full diagnostics and drove the vehicle and was confident it was fine. He also told us he sees RDU replacements about once a month (!!!) at the shop on new Ys and 3s.

Fast-forward to yesterday it happened again (same errors) with my wife, young daughter, and me in the vehicle near a major intersection. The vehicle almost got hit multiple times waiting for a tow. It's back in the shop and waiting to hear from the Service Manager on next steps.

This car is clearly a danger to the occupants and other drivers given how sudden it stops without any advanced warning and then sits there like a brick. The vehicle cannot be moved because the rear wheels lock up. It literally has to be dragged on and off the tow.

Let's see what they have to say....

• Informative
Reactions: GoVols!
I can feel your pain. Same issue happened to us twice in our new 2023 MYLR in less than a week.

President's Day my wife and young daughter were driving in the vehicle on a winding road near our home. Vehicle came to a complete stop with the same error messages. They were stuck in a blind corner. Thankfully two Good Samaritans on motorcycles stopped to direct traffic till the Sheriffs showed up, otherwise it could have been a very bad situation.

Tesla Service Station said it was a defective RDU and Inverter and replaced them. We spoke with the Tech directly to gain comfort it wouldn't happen again. He said they ran full diagnostics and drove the vehicle and was confident it was fine. He also told us he sees RDU replacements about once a month (!!!) at the shop on new Ys and 3s.

Fast-forward to yesterday it happened again (same errors) with my wife, young daughter, and me in the vehicle near a major intersection. The vehicle almost got hit multiple times waiting for a tow. It's back in the shop and waiting to hear from the Service Manager on next steps.

This car is clearly a danger to the occupants and other drivers given how sudden it stops without any advanced warning and then sits there like a brick. The vehicle cannot be moved because the rear wheels lock up. It literally has to be dragged on and off the tow.

Great, just thinking about ordering a MYP and between your comment and others with similar experience I have serious reservations. This has never happened to me in any car including crappy ones I've owned in the past. Why can't Tesla have a safety bypass to roll the car when all else fails and or allow the vehicle to slowly come to a stop to give the driver time to pull over. BMW and others have this, it's called "limp mode".

Great, just thinking about ordering a MYP and between your comment and others with similar experience I have serious reservations. This has never happened to me in any car including crappy ones I've owned in the past. Why can't Tesla have a safety bypass to roll the car when all else fails and or allow the vehicle to slowly come to a stop to give the driver time to pull over. BMW and others have this, it's called "limp mode".

It hasn't happened to 99% of MYP owners, only the select few that post here. It's extremely rare, buy your car without worry.

My truck did this when the transmission went out. All cars have some amount of danger.

The failures are unacceptable. It's really something they must address and the onus should not be on the customer.
Seems like Tesla is trying to do right by the feedback but it's really frustrating to read.

Not as an excuse but problems will show up. There are over 10million Teslas on the road.
Over 1million sold in 2022. That is a lot of vehicles. I've heard worse stories from luxury brands and commodity brands alike.

Reactions: Pianewman

Is there any protocol when this type of issue happens in a dangerous spot?

There is nothing a informed person could do to improve the situation in terms of positioning of the vehicle when possible/applicable?

To make it clear and simple, if you were on a slight hill and the RDU/FDU or inverter failed, is there any way to allow the vehical to roll or move with the assistance of gravity or even pushing/pulling?

Just enough to get you and the vehicle out of harms way? Seems like there should be a way to force the vehicle to creep at the minimum, even if it caused any/further mechanical damage to allow the user to get to a safe position. Maybe a better warning system to give more time to get to a safe place before the system stops or locks up.

Is there a thread that covers how to deal with that issue in more detail and what can be done?

Is there any protocol when this type of issue happens in a dangerous spot?

There is nothing a informed person could do to improve the situation in terms of positioning of the vehicle when possible/applicable?

To make it clear and simple, if you were on a slight hill and the RDU/FDU or inverter failed, is there any way to allow the vehical to roll or move with the assistance of gravity or even pushing/pulling?

Just enough to get you and the vehicle out of harms way? Seems like there should be a way to force the vehicle to creep at the minimum, even if it caused any/further mechanical damage to allow the user to get to a safe position. Maybe a better warning system to give more time to get to a safe place before the system stops or locks up.

Is there a thread that covers how to deal with that issue in more detail and what can be done?
Chock the tires (to prevent the car from rolling uncontrollably), and throw it into transport mode and it will unlock the parking brakes, so you can push the car to safety:
Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

The reason why the rear wheels lock up, is because the car automatically goes to park, so the rear parking brakes are applied (they are screw drive motors that apply the rear brakes).

The manual actually covers a lot of things, but people don't like to RTFM.

Chock the tires (to prevent the car from rolling uncontrollably), and throw it into transport mode and it will unlock the parking brakes, so you can push the car to safety:
Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

The reason why the rear wheels lock up, is because the car automatically goes to park, so the rear parking brakes are applied (they are screw drive motors that apply the rear brakes).

The manual actually covers a lot of things, but people don't like to RTFM.
Unfortunately, for the issue I faced that did not work. I did RTFM. Tesla Service Center said there was absolutely nothing I could have done on either occasion to unlock the rear wheels given the defect. Fortunately, Tesla has agreed to buyback the vehicle. Signing docs tomorrow.

• Informative
Reactions: stopcrazypp
Unfortunately, for the issue I faced that did not work. I did RTFM. Tesla Service Center said there was absolutely nothing I could have done on either occasion to unlock the rear wheels given the defect. Fortunately, Tesla has agreed to buyback the vehicle. Signing docs tomorrow.
Did the screen or 12V die, so you couldn't have selected it, or did it just refuse to go into Transport mode even though everything was still on?