Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 EV Household - what else you got?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back in 2018 I got fed-up waiting for the Model 3 so I bought myself a Kona Electric Premium SE. Unbelievable efficiency, 300 mile range, heated/ventilated leather seats, radar cruise control that also works in queueing traffic, lane follow assist, unlimited mileage warranty, etc.

I really like the Kona Electric and decided to keep it, ordering a Model Y LR AWD to replace the VW Sharan diesel.

the Tesla was out of the question and we felt it was best for him to learn in a manual

I wonder on that point ...

For a new learner driver it seems to me that you have to learn both the road-craft and also the clutch / gear-change thingie. If you take away the gear change that must be 50% of the stuff that is hard to do at the outset?

And will youngster's today ever drive a manual - yeah, for a year or two if they get lumbered with a cheap hand-me-down ... but:

I dunno about non Tesla EVs, but I suspect it will be the case with them too because I assume the benefit comes from "battery" in general

Tesla has held the top slot for safety for each model that it has made.

I would want to be putting my young sprogs in the safest car there is. They are far more likely to have a crash then someone experienced like "us adults"

Cost is an issue ... but so is fuel, so one way for parents to help children is to reduce their fuel cost.

So I think the Driving Test is easier to pass (i.e. fewer lessons / cost) with an automatics-only licence, and putting them in an EV will be safer.
2 EV Household - what else you got?

All the family member's cars are Teslas ...

That may change in future once other brands become more appealing - i.e. their drive-train proven, efficiency and charging infrastructure fully-sorted.

I wonder on that point ...

For a new learner driver it seems to me that you have to learn both the road-craft and also the clutch / gear-change thingie. If you take away the gear change that must be 50% of the stuff that is hard to do at the outset?

And will youngster's today ever drive a manual - yeah, for a year or two if they get lumbered with a cheap hand-me-down ... but:

I dunno about non Tesla EVs, but I suspect it will be the case with them too because I assume the benefit comes from "battery" in general

Tesla has held the top slot for safety for each model that it has made.

I would want to be putting my young sprogs in the safest car there is. They are far more likely to have a crash then someone experienced like "us adults"

Cost is an issue ... but so is fuel, so one way for parents to help children is to reduce their fuel cost.

So I think the Driving Test is easier to pass (i.e. fewer lessons / cost) with an automatics-only licence, and putting them in an EV will be safer.

All the family member's cars are Teslas ...

That may change in future once other brands become more appealing - i.e. their drive-train proven, efficiency and charging infrastructure fully-sorted.
As you said, for the next few years 'cheap' cars will be manual.

Reactions: bctomuk
Fiat 500 as a learner's car (nor passed, so we no longer need to supervise the driving to and from work), i10 to complete the set.

Taking gears out of the equation for learning seem to have made a big difference. Not just for the task loading coming up to junctions but also removing the challenge of properly matching revs and gears. Done about 10k miles in the last year, so I'm not sure that an EV lease is saving money on running an old manual - will be an interesting calculation to run in 2 years time.

Reactions: bctomuk
We are a FOUR EV household. I have an M3P, the wife has an EV6 AWD and my two daughters, who both still live at home at the moment, both drive Zoes. For long journeys I tend to use the EV6 because it’s so much quieter and more refined at motorway speeds than my M3.

We are all quite high mileage drivers but charging isn’t an issue. We have an Andersen 22KW charger, and it really helps that Zoes can utilise the full 22KW speed.

Got MG ZS EV on order, has been for a while! When did you order yours?
My wife ordered an MG ZS EV in first week of December with a ‘promised’ delivery of first week of March.

After getting minimal contact and then two emails a month apart (last one on the day I order my MY LR in early June) saying your car will be at least another 16 weeks, we cancelled.

We too were offered a different car if we acted fast but after realising how much they second car isn’t used, we decided to cancel it. They tried to charge us £200 admin fee from deposit but that only took one phone call from an unhappy wife to rectify that situation.

There is an MG forum with a lot of info on there around lengthy delivery delays.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
I was thinking about that mini but it has no blind spot detection - is that an issue for you - ?
No, but then neither of us had this previously. The visibility from the Mini is ace so a quick shoulder check is easy. Even with this in my Tesla I still do the “lifesaver” check before moving.
Winter range was 100miles and summer is about 130. It’s a great little runabout.

We have an ID.3 to keep the M3LR company.

(Oh, and the mandatory Ducati in the garage)

FA2E9229-B101-4F33-9A6B-D30E8A4A9676_1_105_c.jpeg

Reactions: Lord Farquad