Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 EV Household - what else you got?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We recently purchased a 2021 Vauxhall Corsa-E with just 2600 miles on it. My partner previously had a 15-year-old Ford Focus which finally died. The most surprising thing was that our Admiral multi-cover policy for the Model 3 LR, home insurance and 'new' Corsa-E increased by less than £10. First impressions after a week and a few hundred miles are very positive and oh how we wish the Tesla had Carplay. Despite that we have a Model Y on order for delivery in September (as things stand) and very much looking forward to that.

Our other EV is a 1.5 gen UK-built Nissan Leaf, which we purchased outright at the end of the PCP a few years back (see signature). When we started leasing the M3 we gifted a 2005 C-class Merc to our daughters, who are going to drive it into the ground (hopefully not quite literally) before getting an EV of their own.

Last edited:
M3P for me - soon to be a MYP when my order gets delivered.

Changed my wife's Range Rover Velar to a fiat 500e with the larger battery - she loves it & actually so do I! Fun to drive but I would estimate real world range is somewhere around 150miles (or maybe thats my lead foot!?)

20220416_114232.jpg
here is our daily driver. 17.5kWh of fun, good for 90+ miles in the summer top down. Honestly it's our go to car over the Model Y for 90% of journeys. Turns more heads than the Tesla as well.

20220421_202929~3.jpg

I wonder on that point ...

For a new learner driver it seems to me that you have to learn both the road-craft and also the clutch / gear-change thingie. If you take away the gear change that must be 50% of the stuff that is hard to do at the outset?

And will youngster's today ever drive a manual - yeah, for a year or two if they get lumbered with a cheap hand-me-down ... but:

I dunno about non Tesla EVs, but I suspect it will be the case with them too because I assume the benefit comes from "battery" in general

Tesla has held the top slot for safety for each model that it has made.

I would want to be putting my young sprogs in the safest car there is. They are far more likely to have a crash then someone experienced like "us adults"

Cost is an issue ... but so is fuel, so one way for parents to help children is to reduce their fuel cost.

So I think the Driving Test is easier to pass (i.e. fewer lessons / cost) with an automatics-only licence, and putting them in an EV will be safer.

All the family member's cars are Teslas ...

That may change in future once other brands become more appealing - i.e. their drive-train proven, efficiency and charging infrastructure fully-sorted.
Fully agree with these comments, it seems so backwards. I have an M3 LR and my daughter who is 17 is learning in a Toyota Aygo manual, like her elder sister in a VW Up before her.

The Aygo clutch is horrendous, I can’t pull away smoothly without wheel spin and more to the point kids are all taught in slightly more powerful instructors vehicles which can take off without any accelerator. They aren’t really taught to balance the clutch, it’s simply press power, release clutch🤷🏽‍♂️. When they switch cars they think they are all the same and they aren’t.

Anyhow, lost track the number of bunny hops and stalls on the round abouts where we live. I’m petrified!!

Then I take her out in my car (as a passenger) and it’s simply point and shoot.

Without any gear, clutch balance nonsense she be far safer on the road. Admittedly it’s a learning process, just seems unnecessary in 2022 if easier and possibly safer options exist?

Looking at a second hand Zoe…🤔. Insurance on the M3 is not an option obviously 🙄

PS. To complete this thread, MY coming for misses so 2 car EV family soon. No more motorbike, Thundercat sold many years ago but still have petrol mower😡

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Fully agree with these comments, it seems so backwards. I have an M3 LR and my daughter who is 17 is learning in a Toyota Aygo manual, like her elder sister in a VW Up before her.
😡
UK new vehicle sales automatic (I assume including xEVs):
2012: 20%
2017: 40%
2018: 43%
2019: 49%
2020: 55%

Based on my learning experience I suggest considering how well they'll take to clutch control.
Also consider whether when they'll actually have a car and their income at the time. Manual is also a cheaper way into car ownership, but the trend is to automatic and it's likely that over time, there'll be less financial advantage.

For uncoordinated me, I feel that starting in a manual just made it harder as it got in the way of learning driving fundamental and meant it took me longer to be ready to pass a test.
For somebody who'll be able to handle shifting well, I think that the decisions required in a manual can help encourage good habits.

Reactions: ElectricPolice
The Mini is great. It’s clearly heavier than an ICE one but that just helps keep it planted on the crappy roads by us. It’s properly quick (for a Mini) and still handles just like the others. It’s got a great interior and my better half loves it.
I believe there’s a new model due out next year, but who knows when we’d actually see deliveries (based on chip shortages).
If you want a sporty small car, I’d highly recommend the Mini.

Reactions: Maplepho
Another two EV household here. I have the M3 LR and my wife has an MG ZS. The MG is great for day to day use and as my wife is a wheelchair user there is plenty of space in the boot and it was easily adapted for hand controls. For the long range trips to my wife‘s family in SW Scotland plus my own work trips there is of course no arguments and the MG doesn’t even get a look in for those trips. A few snags with the MG along the way and it’s bodywork is iffy to say the least!

Reactions: bctomuk and btc1k
The Mini is great. It’s clearly heavier than an ICE one but that just helps keep it planted on the crappy roads by us. It’s properly quick (for a Mini) and still handles just like the others. It’s got a great interior and my better half loves it.
I believe there’s a new model due out next year, but who knows when we’d actually see deliveries (based on chip shortages).
If you want a sporty small car, I’d highly recommend the Mini.
Thanks, regarding to the new model, yep I saw the leaks online, looks less mini, but designed to be an ev from ground up.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
@Lord Farquad @Drew57

Both are looking awesome!

How is Mini electric and Fiat 500e compared to Tesla? driving & handling? we are thinking either of those cars, range isn't an issue as mostly just be used around town.
The Fiat is a beautifully finished car inside & out and the embossed cream 'leather' is simply stunning

The things that really impress us compared to the Tesla are efficiency around town - significantly lower consumption from its 37kW usable battery than the Teslas 70Kw. On a round trip to my Daughters house the Fiat stays at 100% remaining SOC, the Tesla drops by 2%. It also holds its charge far longer than the Tesla when unplugged/unused - even in March-April, four or five days later SOC remained at 100% whereas the Tesla loses 1% per night regardless. The Tesla wins on long runs but there's no comparison with journeys involving 20-40mph local roads.

Secondly & an initial surprise when I first tried it on a motorway/dual carriageway, the La Prima TACC/autosteer system seems superior to Tesla. In my opinion it's smoother & far more user friendly. The Fiat allows you to change lanes with 'auto' still engaged, does not disconnect when indicating and automatically resumes once the car is positioned in the next lane (the binnacle indication changes from green to grey as you move into the next lane and once it detects you are there it simply changes to green again and takes over without snatching - effortless & silent). As we know with Autopilot in a Tesla, indicating cancels auto steering & needs to be manually re enabled once in the new lane, both actions accompanied with a 'bong' sound whereas the Fiat system is seamless and without distraction. I also deliberately tested indicating and moving across from lane two to lane one with a lorry a short (safe) distance ahead and the Fiat snatched the steering, slowed and gave screen & audible warnings in a far less alarming manner than the Tesla does. The only slight criticism I can find is with the 'cancel' button being located part way across the steering wheel whereas the Tesla simply requires up-down of the RH stalk to activate/disable but nevertheless I much prefer the system Fiat has developed.

Walk away lock requires a key press or the button on the door and start/stop when first using/exiting require pressing a button on the dash which is similar to an ICE car but in many other respects Fiat seem to have taken note and adapted Tesla features (& the Fiat has properly functioning wipers/lights). This is a ground-up EV not adapted in any way from an ICE platform - it's nippy and quite precise to drive, it has an incredibly small turning circle and the software is very responsive. A small annoyance for some is the lack of a rest for the drivers left foot next to the brake but we have no issue with the foot slightly below & to the left - regeneration in 'range' mode is virtually identical to Tesla so the brakes are hardly touched anyway.

Both the Fiat & Tesla have their quirks as do all cars. It's easy to explain our love for the Tesla whereas we both absolutely 'adore' the little Fiat for too many reasons to mention. Teslas are functional but rather bland whereas the little Fiat has a real personality & a soul.

500e.JPG

M.S. P90DL
M.Y. LR (hopefully picking up on the 30th).

We have 2 Tesla GEN3 wall chargers - on software load balancing on the same 32amp cable. Sadly its just a faff to run another cable as the garage is too far from the house.

Reactions: bctomuk
The Fiat allows you to change lanes with 'auto' still engaged, does not disconnect when indicating and automatically resumes once the car is positioned in the next lane (the binnacle indication changes from green to grey as you move into the next lane and once it detects you are there it simply changes to green again and takes over without snatching - effortless & silent)
That's exactly how I would like my Tesla to work! Unfortunately, this will probably never be implemented as it would make EAP almost redundant with loss of revenue for Tesla.
Maybe things will change when there is more competition from other brands but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Interesting read about the Fiat, thanks :)

Something not quite with your phantom drain I reckon - anything keeping the car awake?

I had a look for my most recent "2 days in a row when did nothing" as most days, at present, I get some solar top-up, and I have this:

View attachment 822521
The car is just over 2y old and has been like this pretty much since the beginning if I charge during the day (ie solar). If charging overnight then obviously I don't see any drain. None of this bothers me & on a couple of occasions I left the car for between 4-6 weeks with a total of 4-5% loss overall.

I never use Sentry, don't have any apps other than the Tesla one & rarely wake the car by checking - I also seem to recall reading somewhere (in the Tesla manual?) that around 1% loss is to be expected.

(by the way I would regard 'phantom drain' as something more significant than this. Batteries all gradually lose charge including the Pylontechs in my home storage if unused for a day or so)