Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 EV Household - what else you got?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We’ve got a Model 3 LR and our Mini SE will be arriving in September. The mini will be replacing old two fun ICE cars - a 15 year old Fiat Panda 100hp and a 26 year old supercharged mx5. The mini is the only small EV for the job really.

The MINI is a blast. It's a smaller FWD version of the Model 3 SR+ to me. I will be sad when the 2024 model year will be a Great Wall Motors variant and not built in Oxford.

I rarely drive my Tesla now.. lol.

Photo Jun 13, 4 20 52 PM.jpg

Reactions: Olibol
Not quite there yet. Second car is the dog wagon; an Outlander PHEV. Pre April 2017, zero car tax. The holy grail of Outlanders. Since the pandemic it doesn’t go far and engine is barely used. Has to have 60 litres of fresh petrol per year to keep it happy. It’s done 20,000 miles, over 17,500 on electric.
The pandemic has changed the way we live and we’re not sure that we really need two cars anymore but the M3 isn’t suitable for our dogs.
At the moment we’re just not sure what the best option is.
One other consideration is the need for a tow bar bike rack for our eBikes. The bikes plus a Thule rack are 80kgs. Neither Tesla nor Outlander can handle that. Wouldn’t dare have a roof rack. Couldn’t lift the bikes!

Nice, have you driven it? How’s it go?
I've driven it a few times. It's quite nippy but no where near as fast as a M3. It handles well enough and a bit like a 911 as it's rear wheel drive and rear engined! The ride on the I3S is a bit bouncy for my taste. Standard I3 is better. It's great for urban/town driving because it's relatively narrow and has a tight turning circle.

Reactions: Casss
Corsa-e was our first EV. I really like it, and so does my other half. We started to use it more for slightly longer trips but it has really little space in the back so decided to get our second EV, our Model 3. In the summer, Corsa gets really good miles/kwh but in the winter the efficiency really suffers. Lovely and very nippy though.

IMG_1489.jpeg

Other EV is a plug-in hybrid, a 2017 Prius. It gets better miles per KWh than the Tesla in winter, due to having a heat pump. But my commute is a 60-80 mile round trip and we still don't have chargers at work, so it's mainly used for more local trips now.

I have a BMW R1250GS TE which I sometimes commute on when I expect the traffic to be bad. Mainly this is Fridays because of holiday traffic. Given it now costs about £10 in petrol for the round trip, vs about £1 in the Tesla (or less if charged on solar) it's not getting so much use. I'm considering switching to an electric bike but I don't think they're quite there yet.

Other EV is a plug-in hybrid, a 2017 Prius. It gets better miles per KWh than the Tesla in winter, due to having a heat pump. But my commute is a 60-80 mile round trip and we still don't have chargers at work, so it's mainly used for more local trips now.

I have a BMW R1250GS TE which I sometimes commute on when I expect the traffic to be bad. Mainly this is Fridays because of holiday traffic. Given it now costs about £10 in petrol for the round trip, vs about £1 in the Tesla (or less if charged on solar) it's not getting so much use. I'm considering switching to an electric bike but I don't think they're quite there yet.
I have to say, I rode the Harley Livewire recently and loved it’s powertrain. But it could only do 90 odd miles to a charge. Which wouldn’t cut it for me. I’d want 150+ before making the switch. Particularly as the charging infrastructure in Wales is rubbish, and that’s where I often go.

Not quite there yet. Second car is the dog wagon; an Outlander PHEV. Pre April 2017, zero car tax. The holy grail of Outlanders. Since the pandemic it doesn’t go far and engine is barely used. Has to have 60 litres of fresh petrol per year to keep it happy. It’s done 20,000 miles, over 17,500 on electric.
The pandemic has changed the way we live and we’re not sure that we really need two cars anymore but the M3 isn’t suitable for our dogs.
At the moment we’re just not sure what the best option is.
One other consideration is the need for a tow bar bike rack for our eBikes. The bikes plus a Thule rack are 80kgs. Neither Tesla nor Outlander can handle that. Wouldn’t dare have a roof rack. Couldn’t lift the bikes!
Mmmmm. Talked that up! SWMBO has seen reviews for Peugeot’s e-Rifter. It’s pretty close to her old 807 which she loved and I must admit was incredibly versatile. Went on wild goose chase to test drive one yesterday. Did manage to look at a Vauxhall Combo which is similar and the signs are that it would be practical. Charge port is in the same place as my Tesla so that’s good. 2nd EV may come sooner than expected!

View attachment 822078here is our daily driver. 17.5kWh of fun, good for 90+ miles in the summer top down. Honestly it's our go to car over the Model Y for 90% of journeys. Turns more heads than the Tesla as well.

View attachment 822081
Snap, We have:

Tesla M3P red
Smart EQ ForTwo in crimson red like yours but a coupe and which has a 110 mile range in summer, but 70 miles in Winter. Both perfectly suit our driving patterns but in totally different ways.

Reactions: mdunc
Mmmmm. Talked that up! SWMBO has seen reviews for Peugeot’s e-Rifter. It’s pretty close to her old 807 which she loved and I must admit was incredibly versatile. Went on wild goose chase to test drive one yesterday. Did manage to look at a Vauxhall Combo which is similar and the signs are that it would be practical. Charge port is in the same place as my Tesla so that’s good. 2nd EV may come sooner than expected!
We will become a EV only household round about November. Order placed for a Peugeot e-Rifter today
ideal dog wagon, the Outlander dog cage fits with ease and with it out the e-bikes fit too.
anyone fancy an Outlander? One careful lady owner (and me 😂)

Resurrecting this to see how everyone is getting on with their second EV's? Are there any interesting smaller EV's coming in the next 6 months? I think its time to swap the old Suzuki swift for something more EV-ish.

Currently I think its between the e-corsa, 208e and possibly the Zoe for something super mini sized?