Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 factor authorization invalid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am using two factor authorization. I use the Microsoft Authenticator. I have a new mobile device (Pixel 6). My phone is connected to the car so no issue. I am trying to log in with my desktop computer and keep getting "invalid passcode, try again". Every single time. I log in with username and password with no issue. Then it asks to input my passcode. I go to the Authenticator, then to Tesla on it and tap it for the number. But it never works. I don't want to change anything because I'm worried my phone will no longer work with my car. Any thoughts?

Has it ever worked? Did you switch devices and the previous/old device was working?

Otherwise it doesn't sound like it's using the correct key to generate the passcode. FWIW, I do this pretty regularly, i.e., login to my Tesla account through the web (on a desktop), and generate the passcode with an an app on my iPhone (which C&Ps across the devices which is handy).

Reactions: jjrandorin
Has it ever worked? Did you switch devices and the previous/old device was working?

Otherwise it doesn't sound like it's using the correct key to generate the passcode.

+1

OP, you mention "new pixel 6 phone". What phone did you have before, and was the authenticator app setup on that phone? If so, you cant simply install the authenticator on the new phone and have it work. You are going to look into how to migrate your authenticator from one phone to another, if in fact it worked on the old phone.

If you never had it on an old phone, then you should set up 2 factor again, if you can.

I uninstalled the Microsoft Authenticator app on my phone. I reinstalled it. Now the Tesla account does not show up on it. No matter what i do i can't log in without putting in the authenticator code and of course i lost all the backup codes somehow (I don't remember where i stored them). I can't figure out how to remove 2FA either since it doesn't show up on my app and i can't get to the website account. Really stuck here.

Looking through other threads here, I saw a that some where able to contact tesla to get them to send them a reset link to turn off 2FA so they can set it back up again. The following is a copy from a post made in another 2FA thread here as to where someone called.

======================

1 (877) 798-3752 (option 4). Like others noted, check your spam/junk email folder after they send you an email, All Tesla email are landing in my inbox, but that one was in junk.

• Informative
Reactions: MaskedRacerX