Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 Fobs in car, MS picks wrong one for driver profile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this was asked somewhere else (could not find when searching).

Does anyone know how my MS picks which driver profile to use based off 2 key fobs? Recently, my wife and I have been riding together with me driving and both our keys in the car. It seems to randomly take her profile (more than mine it seems).
Is it based off the first person in the car or the first one it detects closest to some point on the car? There has been one time at least I got into the car before she did (car off) but it still picked her driver profile.
Finally, is there a way to tell the car to prefer mine if we are both in the car?

Any help or insight to this feature is appreciated.

The Driver Profile is supposed to be the first key that is detected within 3 feet of the driver's door. Of course, if your wife is sitting in the car, she was first, even though she entered in the passenger door. Apparently, be careful that only one key is anywhere near the car to link a driver profile to a key, then take it out of range and link the other key. If both keys are present during the linking, you will get unpredictable results. You can unlink and start over by going into driver profiles and clicking the X next to the one to delete.

Turned off that feature on our S. Seems to do a better job with our Model 3 via Phone.
Unrelated to profile...
Nice that 2020.40.3 allows setting priority so the wrong Bluetooth phone won’t connect as often.

So, the priority feature is for bluetooth connection (M3/MY), not for fobs. Which explains why I could not find it.

@DerbyDave , thanks. I know I linked the profiles to the fobs fine as they both work when it is only one of us.

Overall, not a big deal for us as both use the Easy Access profile and when I see it going to her setting, I just quickly change to mine. Thanks for confirming how it "should" work and I am not missing some setting.

I was really excited to use this feature. As I mentioned for me it is very reliable. Benefits are minimal. In fact I would say it’s counterproductive. The objective is for it to automatically change profiles so you don’t have to do it manually. I spent more time using the drop-down menu to change the profile with this feature activated than I did with it not activated.
Your experience may be different.

Here is the official text from the model S manual I’m managing this feature…

Linking a Driver Profile to a Key
You can link a driver profile to a specific key to allow Model S to automatically select the correct driver profile when the linked key is detected as you approach the vehicle and open the driver's door. To link a driver profile to a key, enter Model S with the key and touch the driver profile icon on the top of the touchscreen. Select the driver profile you would like to link to the key, then touch Link to Key Fob.
Note: Model S only detects one key at a time. The driver profile is linked to the key that is detected by the vehicle at that time. Therefore, if you want to link driver profiles to multiple keys, ensure that only the key that you would like to link the driver profile to is within detection range while performing the linking procedure. Move all other keys outside of the detection range (at least three feet (one meter) away from Model S).
Note: Model S can support up to three linked keys. However, a driver profile can only be linked to one key.
To remove the link between a driver profile and key, touch the driver profile icon on the top of the touchscreen. Select the driver profile, then touch the X next to Linked to Key Fob.

Reactions: JoeCW
EDIT: “for me it is very unreliable.”
I was really excited to use this feature. As I mentioned for me it is very reliable. Benefits are minimal. In fact I would say it’s counterproductive. The objective is for it to automatically change profiles so you don’t have to do it manually. I spent more time using the drop-down menu to change the profile with this feature activated than I did with it not activated.
Your experience may be different.

Here is the official text from the model S manual I’m managing this feature…

Linking a Driver Profile to a Key
You can link a driver profile to a specific key to allow Model S to automatically select the correct driver profile when the linked key is detected as you approach the vehicle and open the driver's door. To link a driver profile to a key, enter Model S with the key and touch the driver profile icon on the top of the touchscreen. Select the driver profile you would like to link to the key, then touch Link to Key Fob.
Note: Model S only detects one key at a time. The driver profile is linked to the key that is detected by the vehicle at that time. Therefore, if you want to link driver profiles to multiple keys, ensure that only the key that you would like to link the driver profile to is within detection range while performing the linking procedure. Move all other keys outside of the detection range (at least three feet (one meter) away from Model S).
Note: Model S can support up to three linked keys. However, a driver profile can only be linked to one key.
To remove the link between a driver profile and key, touch the driver profile icon on the top of the touchscreen. Select the driver profile, then touch the X next to Linked to Key Fob.

Sorry if this was asked somewhere else (could not find when searching).

Does anyone know how my MS picks which driver profile to use based off 2 key fobs? Recently, my wife and I have been riding together with me driving and both our keys in the car. It seems to randomly take her profile (more than mine it seems).
Is it based off the first person in the car or the first one it detects closest to some point on the car? There has been one time at least I got into the car before she did (car off) but it still picked her driver profile.
Finally, is there a way to tell the car to prefer mine if we are both in the car?

Any help or insight to this feature is appreciated.
If you're the main one driving, you could change the setting so that her fob is not linked to her profile. That was what I did to prevent my spouse's fob from affecting profile selection since I'm the one that drives the car.

Turned off that feature on our S. Seems to do a better job with our Model 3 via Phone.
Unrelated to profile...
Nice that 2020.40.3 allows setting priority so the wrong Bluetooth phone won’t connect as often.
This is something I've been asking for but it's implemented wrong. It should be under the driver profile where you select which phone goes with said profile. This way, when the car inevitably screws up who is driving (it does it all the time if both fobs are present) and manual selection of the profile also selects the proper phone for that driver. Instead, when it inevitably screws up who is driving I still have to manually select the proper profile as well as go into the phone and select the proper phone too. This latter portion is the part I always forget until I get a call or text and I'm already driving making this process much more tedious and dangerous than it should be. These phone profiles need to be tied to driver profiles through a simple software adjustment. They tried with putting it in the phone profile which I give props for but it's still the wrong way to implement this... incorrect fob detection aside.

This is something I've been asking for but it's implemented wrong. It should be under the driver profile where you select which phone goes with said profile. This way, when the car inevitably screws up who is driving (it does it all the time if both fobs are present) and manual selection of the profile also selects the proper phone for that driver. Instead, when it inevitably screws up who is driving I still have to manually select the proper profile as well as go into the phone and select the proper phone too. This latter portion is the part I always forget until I get a call or text and I'm already driving making this process much more tedious and dangerous than it should be. These phone profiles need to be tied to driver profiles through a simple software adjustment. They tried with putting it in the phone profile which I give props for but it's still the wrong way to implement this... incorrect fob detection aside.
Allowing option to link a Bluetooth device to a profile is a great idea.

Reactions: JoeCW
I thought about that but my wife is a little of a techy as well as a person of convenience so this option will probably not go over well o_O
That sounds like a good solution as long as she’s irritated with you and never get anywhere near the car when you’re in it and vice versa the system will work great

Allowing option to link a Bluetooth device to a profile is a great idea.

I feel like this would be the proper implementation of marking a primary Bluetooth device. It would make for much better interactions between car and driver for families like ours that each have phones, drastically different profile settings and Bluetooth devices... this probably isn't very uncommon either.

I'd like the ability to tie phone to profile since I drive my car and I drive my wife's car also at times. When we're together I driver her car almost 100% of the time but there are also lots of times where we'll drive our cars and be close to each other as well. This makes having my phone preferred in both cars a liability rather than an asset since her car can now "steal" my connection, if that makes sense.

It would also make it so that when she gets in her car in the garage my phone will connect to her car if it's set to the primary in her car whereas having her phone preferred in her profile would solve all of these issues and clean up the implementation of tying profile to device.

After all, that's what we really need is user profile connected to user's phone and not necessarily user's car which is how this recent change handles it.

This is something that's been terribly annoying for use having several Teslas with two drivers. It's almost as annoying as the car not recognizing the proper fob and cranking the seat all of the way forward for her profile as I'm getting in. This would still be an issue with what I'm talking about above but at least it's not compounding the issues the way we currently have it.

Reactions: cityhpper