Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 for 1 Model X 100D - Zero compromise? What's your story?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just ordered the X100D at a local Tesla store. Trading in both wife's Lexus IS350 and my 2017 Nissan Armada, 3.5L + 5.6L of ICE. A little nervous! Have a feeling we are losing flexibility & possibility of longer road trips in the future.

what's your story with your first Tesla as your main personal/family car? and how many of you have gone cold turkey like us? We wish we'd be able to afford a second X in the future just because of the accessibility for our kids with the big doors.

Is it truly zero compromise for you?

We only have one car and love it. No issues or regret. Definitely cant do a rushed trip you need to have 20-30 minutes every once in a while to charge.
There is a guy on twitter who just drove to NWT and then ottawa and is in Virginia now. Amazing!
You got super charger access for free?

...losing flexibility & possibility of longer road trips...

That depends on your route. Since I live in California, a cross country trip to New York (3,000 miles) or cross border to Vancouver (1,000 miles) is not a problem because of Supercharger coverage.

For you, a trip from Vancouver to Edmonton is well covered by Superchargers so I wouldn't worry about that.

However, if you want to go to Québec, you may want to make detour and use US Superchargers across the border.

I sold my ICE cold turkey once I got my Model S 85 in 2012 and never missed it ever for the past 6 years. It has allowed me to drive much more than I did with my ICE! My actual longest drive has bee 500 miles from San Diego to Sacramento which I used to take an airplane but it's much more fun with my Tesla!

What makes you think you are losing flexibility? These feelings are normal for any first time EV driver but they will soon pass.

The reason ICE cars have 500mi+ range is because nobody goes to a gas station everyday to fill their tank. its a waste of time and a pain. But with electric cars, you are "filling/charging" every night presumably at your house, so you leave home daily with a "full tank."

Yes, there are more gas stations than superchargers, but that's not really an issue unless you find yourself taking long road trips every week. With a 100D you have more range than most people drive in a week.

The more you read about and then own a Tesla the more you trust that they knew what they were doing with things. Things like size of batteries, locations and spacing of superchargers, so many little details. Sure FWDs are silly, but Elon admitted they were a mistake. But you will still appreciate them.

For you, a trip from Vancouver to Edmonton is well covered by Superchargers so I wouldn't worry about that.

However, if you want to go to Québec, you may want to make detour and use US Superchargers across the border.

I sold my ICE cold turkey once I got my Model S 85 in 2012 and never missed it ever for the past 6 years. It has allowed me to drive much more than I did with my ICE!

You know your Canadian geography & SC stops! Your story is very encouraging, and yes there're way more SC stops in the states than our west - east coasts route. we wish to do Canada-cross one day with the X!

The reason ICE cars have 500mi+ range is because nobody goes to a gas station everyday to fill their tank. its a waste of time and a pain. But with electric cars, you are "filling/charging" every night presumably at your house, so you leave home daily with a "full tank."

That's good thinking! I do love to think not having to go to gas stations anymore and pumping every week.

Our major concerns were not having 2 cars (now we're sharing one X) and maybe 5% of the year when we actually hit the road and go really far since we don't have as many SC stops as the states have, but as TAM pointed out we are covered from our area to Edmonton and south to California

The more you read about and then own a Tesla the more you trust that they knew what they were doing with things. Things like size of batteries, locations and spacing of superchargers, so many little details. Sure FWDs are silly, but Elon admitted they were a mistake. But you will still appreciate them.

Thanks for the careful insights, I believe im starting to notice the little details now, having spent hours in the showroom, the FWD was a turndown for us but after our kids climbing on the second/third rows we realized it's a win.

That's good thinking! I do love to think not having to go to gas stations anymore and pumping every week.

Our major concerns were not having 2 cars (now we're sharing one X) and maybe 5% of the year when we actually hit the road and go really far since we don't have as many SC stops as the states have, but as TAM pointed out we are covered from our area to Edmonton and south to California

I suspect within 12-18 months the trans-canada supercharger network will come online enabling you to drive to the east coast.

Just took delivery of my X 100D last month, loving it so far, especially the free super charger and home charging part. It’s really convenient to not have to stop by and charge at a gas station because your battery will always have enough juice for daily commute.

Just have to pay attention to the FWD opening every time I let the kid out the back, so I would say there’s a bit of compromise to pay more attention on opening the doors. Front driver and passenger doors are smart enough to detect stuff or the car next to you when opening, not always the case with the FWD. But I was amazed when the FWD was able to fully open in my garage, super convenient to get sleeping kids out or unloading stuff.

Also pay attention when carefully closing the “frunk” because the hood is aluminum so it’s soft, you will not want to slam it, it dents easily.

Storage space in my 7 seater with foldable seats is amazing. First time owning a car with such large usable interior space and storage space, so that was refreshing for our family.

Compromise wise, I am not expecting a perfect car, and new tech comes with new problems, so be aware that you may have to stop by the service center for small fixes once in a while. I’ve visited the service center 3 tines already for firmware upgrade failure, small part defect, and some plastic on the right FWD is slightly rubbing the paint off (could be worse looking at posts from older generation Xs). So it depend on your luck, but if anything I’d rather have them fix everything before my warranty runs out.

Overall, still very happy with our model X. Right after we got the X, our model 3 reservation was opened for customization a week for 2 after because we are a previous Tesla owner now and the reservation get priorotized. But we are waiting to see how it goes when the dual motor model 3 comes out. Model X is great as out main family car, but I think another model 3 will be nice for myself as a daily work commute vehicle.

I traded in my TDI Q7 for my Model X. I have had it now about a month. I definitely love the camaraderie of other Tesla owners, although a little lack at the Supercharger here in Austin, we all wave to each other on the road though. I do not have any other vehicle currently, although my oldest will be driving soon, so that will change.

The one thing that I do miss when doing my weekly fill ups at the gas station, was getting the car washed at that time. I definitely use the minutes saved to hand wash it though. I definitely enjoy it, and I think you will too!

I traded in my TDI Q7 for my Model X. I have had it now about a month. I definitely love the camaraderie of other Tesla owners, although a little lack at the Supercharger here in Austin, we all wave to each other on the road though. I do not have any other vehicle currently, although my oldest will be driving soon, so that will change.

The one thing that I do miss when doing my weekly fill ups at the gas station, was getting the car washed at that time. I definitely use the minutes saved to hand wash it though. I definitely enjoy it, and I think you will too!

Interesting you wave at each other. I have been thinking about when I had a motorcycle we would always wave to fellow riders. I wanted to start waving at tesla drivers.

We've had our X since February (UK based) and it's been amazing. A total revelation honestly. After all the reading up on forums I had low expectations regarding build quality and faults, but 3000 miles in it's all good and the fit and finish was fine on pick-up. I was nervous enough to keep our second ICE car as a back-up, but it now just sits around doing nothing and nobody wants to drive it! Talking about adding a second Tesla later on - probably wait for Model 3 or Model Y.

Reactions: gavine
...FWD was a turndown...

I love Falcon Wing Doors because they are just so much easier to get in and out as well as so much better to load boxes, luggage...

...don't have as many SC stops as the states have...

Some owners used to pick up their Tesla cars at the factory and drove back cross country to the east coast in early days prior to the age of Superchargers.

It just took them longer and they had to look up plug-share.com to see where the slow chargers were. Instead of today's speed of 2 days from California to New York with Superchargers, it took them a week or 2 with slow chargers.

You can do the same with trans-Canada road trip but it just takes longer. There are quite a few of fast DC chargers (buy your own CHAdeMO adapter) nowadays in Canada.

Green icon= Level 2, J1772 at about 6.6 kW.
Brown icons= Fast DC Chargers: CHAdeMO / CCS most are currently well below 50 kW, Tesla Superchargers at 120 kW.

upload_2018-5-1_9-39-22.png

We have an X100D for about ten months now. There were a couple of issues but I was expecting that. Tesla takes care of you and that matters.
I used to drive about 15000 km per year and the odometer now (after about ten months) is already at 33.000 km, In it ther was a road trip to San Fransisco, but still. Expect to drive more. If you bought the Tesla to save money, it really doesn't as you will spend it anyway. Like I said you will drive more and spend your money anyway at whatever place you are driving too.
Expect to get used to the brightness in the car, the fact that it has no engine sounds, the immediate reaction once you hit accelerator or let go of the acceleratior. You will learn to appreciate — you being "spoiled" with the Tesla experience — once you step into an ICE car again.
The fact that you never have to go to a gas station again is for me the biggest positive.

Reactions: Peteski and ztaylor
I was nervous enough to keep our second ICE car as a back-up, but it now just sits around doing nothing and nobody wants to drive it! Talking about adding a second Tesla later on

Same here but we have made the plunge one year ago.

Our "backup" ICE was standing still for more than one year after we buy our first Tesla. Then we realize we need a second car (more drivers) but simply using our ICE was not an option... everyone fighting to NOT drive it so we got an X.

Reactions: Peteski
You think so? any announcements of expanding the Canadian supercharger network?

its deff planned.
Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 11.31.23 PM.png

Just took delivery of my X 100D last month, loving it so far, especially the free super charger and home charging part. It’s really convenient to not have to stop by and charge at a gas station because your battery will always have enough juice for daily commute.

Just have to pay attention to the FWD opening every time I let the kid out the back, so I would say there’s a bit of compromise to pay more attention on opening the doors. Front driver and passenger doors are smart enough to detect stuff or the car next to you when opening, not always the case with the FWD. But I was amazed when the FWD was able to fully open in my garage, super convenient to get sleeping kids out or unloading stuff.

Also pay attention when carefully closing the “frunk” because the hood is aluminum so it’s soft, you will not want to slam it, it dents easily.

Storage space in my 7 seater with foldable seats is amazing. First time owning a car with such large usable interior space and storage space, so that was refreshing for our family.

Compromise wise, I am not expecting a perfect car, and new tech comes with new problems, so be aware that you may have to stop by the service center for small fixes once in a while. I’ve visited the service center 3 tines already for firmware upgrade failure, small part defect, and some plastic on the right FWD is slightly rubbing the paint off (could be worse looking at posts from older generation Xs). So it depend on your luck, but if anything I’d rather have them fix everything before my warranty runs out.

Overall, still very happy with our model X. Right after we got the X, our model 3 reservation was opened for customization a week for 2 after because we are a previous Tesla owner now and the reservation get priorotized. But we are waiting to see how it goes when the dual motor model 3 comes out. Model X is great as out main family car, but I think another model 3 will be nice for myself as a daily work commute vehicle.

Congratulations on your new X! your post is very reassuring as we found ourselves trying to work around (or change) old habits with ICEs to welcome our new model X.

I do worry a little if our garage's going to allow the FWDs fully extended and lifted. Also we're unsure if it's safe for our 2 year old when the FWD are closing since they're all electric and I'm afraid she might jam her hands. As well as operation at underground low ceiling parking.

Thanks for the reminder on the FRUNK I almost break it at the showroom...

I'm glad you found the Model 3 a great addition to your family, I mean for your personal use. Dual motor is a great option, since it'll become your daily commute would you get the long range option, or probably not?