Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 for 1 Model X 100D - Zero compromise? What's your story?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love Falcon Wing Doors because they are just so much easier to get in and out as well as so much better to load boxes, luggage...

Agreed. Now I can see cleaning interior of a car a pleasure!

You can do the same with trans-Canada road trip but it just takes longer. There are quite a few of fast DC chargers (buy your own CHAdeMO adapter) nowadays in Canada.

Green icon= Level 2, J1772 at about 6.6 kW.
Brown icons= Fast DC Chargers: CHAdeMO / CCS most are currently well below 50 kW, Tesla Superchargers at 120 kW.

View attachment 298100[/QUOTE]

I'm still learning to read all these EV maps and power ratings, and what's CHAdeMO? seeing it pops up from time to time, is it like a universal adapter thing?

OK, I need your help lol I'm assuming all the grey thunders are prospective Tesla superchargers?

yes. planned supercharger sites. You can see the map yourself on Tesla.com/findus

To answer your question, CHADEMO is a fast charging standard used by Nissan leafs (mostly). It is half the speed of a Tesla supercharger but still faster than your regular public EV charger. You need a special adapter to make it work with your Tesla though.

We have an X100D for about ten months now. There were a couple of issues but I was expecting that. Tesla takes care of you and that matters.
I used to drive about 15000 km per year and the odometer now (after about ten months) is already at 33.000 km, In it ther was a road trip to San Fransisco, but still. Expect to drive more. If you bought the Tesla to save money, it really doesn't as you will spend it anyway. Like I said you will drive more and spend your money anyway at whatever place you are driving too.
Expect to get used to the brightness in the car, the fact that it has no engine sounds, the immediate reaction once you hit accelerator or let go of the acceleratior. You will learn to appreciate — you being "spoiled" with the Tesla experience — once you step into an ICE car again.
The fact that you never have to go to a gas station again is for me the biggest positive.

All those things you mentioned I actually noticed during my brief test drive, it was actually quite unforgettable. 2 hours later I sat back in my huge Nissan Armada, I felt the interior cramped compared to the model X! how could that be? I must agree the Model X is quite a special SUV, the helicopter cockpit makes the whole interior seem so much bigger.

I average about 15000km yearly like you, let's see if we can beat your 33k 10-month record!

Reactions: Dutchie
yes. planned supercharger sites. You can see the map yourself on Tesla.com/findus

To answer your question, CHADEMO is a fast charging standard used by Nissan leafs (mostly). It is half the speed of a Tesla supercharger but still faster than your regular public EV charger. You need a special adapter to make it work with your Tesla though.

Thanks, so what you're saying is there's a "3rd" type of interface besides J-xxxxxx and Tesla's and it's used by Leaf mostly, but they are quite fast compare to J-standard but much slower than Tesla's 120?

do you have adapters for all types of chargers?

Same here but we have made the plunge one year ago.

Our "backup" ICE was standing still for more than one year after we buy our first Tesla. Then we realize we need a second car (more drivers) but simply using our ICE was not an option... everyone fighting to NOT drive it so we got an X.

Would you sell your "backup" ICE and maybe finance another Tesla? or there's no need for a second car in the household? we are in the same boat, 2 cars = convenient but not necessary, 1 model x = sharing or fighting who gets to drive :)

Thanks, so what you're saying is there's a "3rd" type of interface besides J-xxxxxx and Tesla's and it's used by Leaf mostly, but they are quite fast compare to J-standard but much slower than Tesla's 120?

do you have adapters for all types of chargers?

I do not have a CHADEMO adapter, I find it unnecessary since I live in the USA and there are superchargers left and right. A lot of CHADEMO stations are paid as well, and I wouldn't use that if I had the option of free supercharging.

There's also another fast charging standard (CCS) that is used by the Chevy Bolt and other newer EVs that Tesla doesn't use. A lot of those stations are paid as well. Honestly, Tesla's fast charging network is probably the best right now.

I do not have a CHADEMO adapter, I find it unnecessary since I live in the USA and there are superchargers left and right. A lot of CHADEMO stations are paid as well, and I wouldn't use that if I had the option of free supercharging.

There's also another fast charging standard (CCS) that is used by the Chevy Bolt and other newer EVs that Tesla doesn't use. A lot of those stations are paid as well. Honestly, Tesla's fast charging network is probably the best right now.

I agree with you, if we had a model 3 it'd be a different story (2nd car?). From what I understand with a model X/S, we just park and plug, it's an unlimited lifetime thing right?

...I do worry a little if our garage's going to allow the FWDs fully extended and lifted....

That's a healthy concern. Some owners are too technological reliant and didn't expect that those sensors may not detect obstacles in all scenarios.

Once you drove your Model X into your garage the first time, you might want to stand outside next to a Falcon Wing Doors and get your hand ready to stop them from hitting obstacles. From then on, the car would remember the GPS location to only extend its Falcon Wing Doors to such height.

It's the same precautions when you are ready to open Falcon Wing Doors in commercial garage structures that have beams that the sensor might miss and the doors might think that there's no ceiling beams and hit them. You might want to get out of the car and get your hands ready to stop the opening of Falcon Wing Doors as needed.

...jam her hands...

Someone tested and these Falcon Wing Doors would not stop closing for an obstacle made by carrot to simulate a hand/finger.

Just like wearing seat belts, I guess kids needs to be also trained to fold their hands to be clear from Falcon Wing Doors prior to closing.

I agree with you, if we had a model 3 it'd be a different story (2nd car?). From what I understand with a model X/S, we just park and plug, it's an unlimited lifetime thing right?

if you bought your car with referral (which 99% of people did) then yes free lifetime supercharging as long as you own the car. However, if the supercharger is 50% or more full, you'll incur idle fees as soon as your car finishes charging.

But even with a model 3, supercharging will still be cheaper than gas. Saw on youtube a guy drove from California to Florida in his model 3 and it only cost $110 in supercharging. It would cost a lot more in gas in any other car, even a hybrid would look at over $300+

I do worry a little if our garage's going to allow the FWDs fully extended and lifted. Also we're unsure if it's safe for our 2 year old when the FWD are closing since they're all electric and I'm afraid she might jam her hands. As well as operation at underground low ceiling parking.

The garage you will obviously have to test for yourself. I can extend them in ours, but I rarely do that anyway. As the other guy said, just be very careful while checking for clearance.

As for your 2 year old, as long as she's seated and belted when you close the door, I doubt she will be able to reach anywhere to trap her hands. The part of the door nearest to her side would simply push her hands out of the way rather than trap them. It's never been a problem with our 5 and 8 year old daughters. They do like to operate the closing buttons themselves though. Just make sure you switch on the child-locking option so they can't open the doors as you set off! Unless I'm 100% sure there is loads of space around I open the FWDs from the outside like you would with a normal door, so I can see and react as required. But it's nice being able to open and close them from the touchscreen when safe to do so. Like any car doors, you just need to pay attention. Our neighbour slammed her kid's hand in her car door once and the poor little thing ended up in A&E with broken fingers. It happens.

That's good thinking! I do love to think not having to go to gas stations anymore and pumping every week.
We’ve had EVs since 2010 but sold our last ICE car about 2 years ago. I have a 6 and 8 year old. Last year I was taking the kids to school and had put a couple empty Propane canisters in the back to get them filled. My younger daughter asked me what they were and why they were in the car. I told her I had to go to the gas station after I dropped them off so I could cook on the grill. She say “Oh okay... What’s a gas station?”

• Funny
Reactions: ztaylor and Need
Once you drove your Model X into your garage the first time, you might want to stand outside next to a Falcon Wing Doors and get your hand ready to stop them from hitting obstacles. From then on, the car would remember the GPS location to only extend its Falcon Wing Doors to such height.

Wait, you're saying at certain location with limited height ceiling the X would remember the height setting if I were to stop the FWD by hands? and it remembers and recalls the height every time it's back in the same location? I've never seen this feature on youtube or discussion. Neat!

if you bought your car with referral (which 99% of people did) then yes free lifetime supercharging as long as you own the car. However, if the supercharger is 50% or more full, you'll incur idle fees as soon as your car finishes charging.

But even with a model 3, supercharging will still be cheaper than gas. Saw on youtube a guy drove from California to Florida in his model 3 and it only cost $110 in supercharging. It would cost a lot more in gas in any other car, even a hybrid would look at over $300+

this is all great information! what happens if you were to park at the supercharging stations overnight but not plugged? $110 from California to Florida it's cheaper than taking Greyhound! Just did a quick google search the fare is $208!

It's never been a problem with our 5 and 8 year old daughters. They do like to operate the closing buttons themselves though. Just make sure you switch on the child-locking option so they can't open the doors as you set off! Unless I'm 100% sure there is loads of space around I open the FWDs from the outside like you would with a normal door, so I can see and react as required. But it's nice being able to open and close them from the touchscreen when safe to do so. Like any car doors, you just need to pay attention. Our neighbour slammed her kid's hand in her car door once and the poor little thing ended up in A&E with broken fingers. It happens.

True, with any car we're supposed to train our little ones with any types of doors. My wife found her thumb in the door once she almost crushed it, it happens. From my limited experience with the X in both showrooms I remember all 4 doors being quite "gentle" in terms of their weight and motorized closing.