Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 Hairline Cracks in Windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I woke up this morning to discover that there are two hairline cracks in my windshield. One on the right lower side and another halfway to the middle of the right lower side. Was not there yesterday and there doesn't seem to be any rock chip points or impact points. Both sentry and my dashcam did not record any impact events that could have caused this.

Only thing I can think of is that I used the high heat setting yesterday evening to melt off the snow build up on the car.

Anyone else experience this?

tesla_windshield_2.jpg tesla_windshield_1.jpg

I woke up this morning to discover that there are two hairline cracks in my windshield. One on the right lower side and another halfway to the middle of the right lower side. Was not there yesterday and there doesn't seem to be any rock chip points or impact points. Both sentry and my dashcam did not record any impact events that could have caused this.

Only thing I can think of is that I used the high heat setting yesterday evening to melt off the snow build up on the car.

Anyone else experience this?

View attachment 638318 View attachment 638319

Ok... super bizarre. I just woke to a huge crack in my windshield. I came to search if people had it in the past and didn't expect to see a similar result just from yesterday.

I too checked my security cameras but it doesn't look like an impact crack to me either.

Mine is a Model X though... so, not entirely the same.

Cracked Windshield Model X.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: artx55
Could be a coincidence but wow. Did you both also use the mobile app to preheat your car to melt off snow/ice?

I didn't preheat the car this particular morning. Having said that, I had packed down the snow into the lower windshield section the night before. I didn't properly brush my windshield and the wipers compacted the snow down low there. I had the wiper heaters on as a result to melt it while I was driving and that would turn off overnight obviously. Maybe that led to a temperature change at some point.

We haven't had this happen in any of our Teslas yet but I did have a similar issue years ago in a Honda CR-V. I had a tiny rock chip that I had replaced 3 weeks after getting the car. Nine months later, the windshield cracked all the way across and I could see it went right through the repaired section of the windshield. I figure it was due to the snow/ice on the outside of the windshield and the defrosters running inside the car. If you look closely, you might be able to find a small chip in the windshield that you didn't previously notice.