Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2" hitch receiver for $410. Rip off from Torklift?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A typical 2" hitch receiver is about $150 for other vehicle.
The 2" hitch receiver for model X is about $170.
Torklift wants their Ecohitch Stealth hitch for model S for $410.
What so special about it that they can ask for more than twice of a typical one?
Just because, as of today, they are the only one making them, so that they can gouge?

How would u be willing to spend $400+ when u see one "EATEN ALIVE" by rust in 3 yrs like this?

Tesla Model S hitch by Torklift (3 year update): Eaten alive

When will there be better one at a reasonable price?
Draw-tite makes only 1-1/4" version? When will they make the 2"?

R&D costs need to be recovered, smaller sales pool means those costs are spread across fewer sales.
Then you may have costs associated with periodically retooling for a production run.
They setup for a run of Silverado hitches the setup costs can be spread across thousands. For a S more like dozens.

$410 likely does include some "Tesla tax" but is always going cost more for a low production item vs. a like item that is sold in the thousands.

Reactions: robby
Rusty stuff:
There is a product made for rusty steel, it claims to chemically convert rust to a paintable surface.

It works. I had a hitch on a Ford van, the whole thing had surface rust. After treatment it was a dull black and for the 5 years I had the van there wasn’t a spec of rust. I had a wheelbarrow with steel square tubular handles. It was kept outside. Those tubes and some other steel parts started to rust. I sprayed them as well, now at least 10 years later, there is still no rust.

Anyway for those parts which do rust, that rust converting stuff works very well.

Hmmm, this is the reason why Torklift charges more than double? S is not rated for towing but they still make the 2" version for it?

It is all $.
Maybe I can get the 1-1/4" version and weld on a 2" tube.

There is the fact they are making a towing product for non-tow rated vehicle.
Being they are making a product that the vehicle is not supposed to use it results in some legal risk exposure, sure you can make a case the operator is at fault and a lawsuit would be tossed but they still have to make a buck to cover legal fees to argue for tossing a case.

When I was 20yo I thought the cost of a product should be time and materials only, now that I am an adult that has spent my career in manufacturing I can see so many other costs.

Heck maybe in testing the 2" hitch they damaged a car and are trying to recoup those costs.

The upcharge is for the stealth-ness. The receiver is removable when not in use, giving you the best of both worlds - a hitch only when you need it.
No “ugly” protruding receiver when you don’t. If you don’t care about that, then yes, Drawtite, Curt, etc. will work fine and save you money.
Corrosion issues are def alarming and are hopefully now addressed, but that’s a side issue that isn’t related to the price discussion. Since it’s a steel/aluminum mating issue, wouldn’t other hitches suffer the same fate without a mating pad?
There are only two stealth hitch companies out there - Torklift and Execuhitch. Both charge a premium for aesthetics.
I have no affiliation with Torklift, btw. I purchased one for my X5, but hit a snag due to uncertainty over exact fitment for my MSport bumper so had to return it and go with Drawtite due to time constraints. I would rather not see the receiver when it’s not in use, but alas, there are bigger things to worry about in the world. Customer service was great (paid for shipping back) and they prob used my case to update their product and/or confirm fitment for future buyers.