Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 kids - S versus X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just test drove the model X and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth a trade in considering the seats don't fold down and it seems to be hotter in the X compared to S.

Monthly would be $300 more per month and trade in is only $48k, I owe $54ish.

I love auto pilot and self presenting doors, but it feels like I'm just trying to convince myself to do it to do it, versus it being the right move. Leaning towards waiting 2-3 years for more competition in the electric market.

Anyone have thoughts to convince me otherwise?

It's a non-financial reason, but for what it's worth, we did the X because of 2 kids, plus friends and grandparents. The S (or any car, really) is fine when it's only the 4 of us. However, with 5 seats vs. 6, only one kid can take a friend if we want to go somewhere. Also, we live close to the grandparents and frequently end up taking two cars places because we can't fit all 6 of us in a car with only 5 seats.

Reactions: FarmerDave
For 2 Kids I find the 2+2+2 in the X to be great (and the 2 boys love it). No issues without the folding seats,, lots of space and the boys move to the back if we take 2 grandparents out or friends (and still have frunk and undertrunk)

The thermal gain in the X is a valid concern. I have only had a brand new P90DL S with the pano roof as a loaner to compare to our MX, but it still seemed considerably cooler inside with less A/C use. We live in a temperate climate and still find that the A/C is needed most of the time to be comfortable, which isn't doing good things for our range (we are averaging something close to 400Wh/mi). I wish there was a "fan only" mode for this car like we have in our Leaf, but if there is I have yet to find it. I find absolute temperature settings annoying.

The thermal gain in the X is a valid concern. I have only had a brand new P90DL S with the pano roof as a loaner to compare to our MX, but it still seemed considerably cooler inside with less A/C use. We live in a temperate climate and still find that the A/C is needed most of the time to be comfortable, which isn't doing good things for our range (we are averaging something close to 400Wh/mi). I wish there was a "fan only" mode for this car like we have in our Leaf, but if there is I have yet to find it. I find absolute temperature settings annoying.
There is a fan only. Just go into the settings and turn the a/c off

If money is no object, then absolutely upgrade to Model X. If the fact that you are upside down on your Model S loan is a concern and if the extra monthly payment would at all be stretching things I would say hold off. You could take some time to save up for your next Tesla and in the meantime a larger battery and possibly better Autopilot hardware might be released.

There is a fan only. Just go into the settings and turn the a/c off
That doesn't prevent the heater from coming on if the cabin drops below your setpoint by a degree or two due to cooler outside temps. I can smell the new heating elements warming when only minutes ago the A/C was on in some instances when driving in the Bay Area due to big variances in outside temps from sun and fog. Personally, I just need fresh air from outside without the noise of rolling the windows down. Unless I keep moving the interior temp setting around, the heater may come on. It sounds like the thing I have to do is turn the temp setting all the way down and the A/C off. When we do want the A/C on though, then the temp setting is too low. A heater off button like the A/C off would do the trick, or a fan-only setting such as our Nissan Leaf has.

I just test drove the model X and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth a trade in considering the seats don't fold down and it seems to be hotter in the X compared to S.

Monthly would be $300 more per month and trade in is only $48k, I owe $54ish.

I love auto pilot and self presenting doors, but it feels like I'm just trying to convince myself to do it to do it, versus it being the right move. Leaning towards waiting 2-3 years for more competition in the electric market.

Anyone have thoughts to convince me otherwise?

Ignoring your finances, I think the X could be worth it depending on your priorities. (We have 2 elementary school kids, a 6-seat Model X and a 7-seat Model S).

- Ingress/Egress is simply easier for the kids in the X than the S. I watched our kids get out for school today and the younger one was easily able to stand, put on his backpack and wait for his brother to get out the exit-side door. Whole process was much faster than with our S.

- Physical separation between the boys is nice for the parents -- ymmv, but definitely an issue for our kids...

- I'd echo the friends comment for the 3rd row. Also works for grandparents, etc.

- Plus, USB ports galore for the kids (nice for long trips when they iPad may not hold up).

- Finally, on cooling, I think the added rear vents in the X make a big difference -- plus separate climate control. The rear seats at least seem to be significantly cooler in our X than our S.

- Front seats can be warmer. Heat gain in parking lots can be addressed with pre-cooling with app. Heat gain while driving through the desert in the summer (like we just did) is a little more difficult to overcome. I'm holding out hope for our yet-to-arrive sunshade.

That all being said, even my OG Model S is more fun to drive...

Thanks everyone. If it's hotter in the X overall than in the S we may have to pass as that's a big reason for the switch. (Backward facing carseat doesn't get direct air) We live in Texas.

I may test drive one more time and have air on max the whole time and see if we notice a difference. A little disappointed there's not a major cooling difference with the two separate systems in this one vs the 1 in S.

The X should be cooler, but it appears they've delivered at least a few (but probably most) early Model Xs with AC that needs service. I'd consider that.

As a parent of two with an S and an X, I can resolutely say - it depends. I will ignore the finances, because those are yours to parse. From a vehicle standpoint, the S is my preference to the X, but the X makes a very comfortable road trip car. Do you take road trips or carry 5+ people often? X might work better. I like having both. The benefits to the S - longer range, quicker, no weirdo doors. The X - more cabin volume, neat (but maybe hot) windshield, weirdo doors (if you like them).

The X should be cooler, but it appears they've delivered at least a few (but probably most) early Model Xs with AC that needs service. I'd consider that.

As a parent of two with an S and an X, I can resolutely say - it depends. I will ignore the finances, because those are yours to parse. From a vehicle standpoint, the S is my preference to the X, but the X makes a very comfortable road trip car. Do you take road trips or carry 5+ people often? X might work better. I like having both. The benefits to the S - longer range, quicker, no weirdo doors. The X - more cabin volume, neat (but maybe hot) windshield, weirdo doors (if you like them).
Ah, I was wondering what F.W.D. stood for. Now I know: Falcon Weirdo Doors.