Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 Model Y or Ioniq 5?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Want to hear you guys thoughts to see if I’m crazy. I picked up MYP 3 weeks ago to replace outgoing X3 and absolutely love everything about the car. This is my first EV, and Tesla, and my mind is blown. I don’t think I can ever go back to any ICE car. I just get so excited every time I get to drive it, and I don’t think I ever felt this way with any other cars I’ve owned. Now this got me thinking if it makes sense to replace an aging ice car in the household with another MYP. Has anyone done this? Part of me thinking this would be cool to have both MYP because wife and I both love the car. But another part of me is wondering if I would get bored with MY soon and then regret having both same cars. A top contender is Hyundai Ioniq 5 that is 58k out the door, so cost wise it’s about 15k saving after the rebate. But I just don’t love the car, it’s cool and check off many boxes, but I can’t get over the interior because it feels just like any traditional ice car. And there are a lot of little annoyances like still have to use start/stop button, no phone as key, sluggish UI, no wireless CarPlay, no rear wiper, no Netflix on screen and also smaller rear seat and trunk space…etc I think I’ll get bored with it relatively soon and just don’t think it will hold its value once Gen 2 or 2023 Model comes out. Just want to see if any one has gone through similar decision making process, and just decide to switch to EV/Tesla completely. We don’t drive long distance trip so range is not that important to me. Thanks.

Reactions: IdaX and Ogre
Want to hear you guys thoughts to see if I’m crazy. I picked up MYP 3 weeks ago to replace outgoing X3 and absolutely love everything about the car. This is my first EV, and Tesla, and my mind is blown. I don’t think I can ever go back to any ICE car. I just get so excited every time I get to drive it, and I don’t think I ever felt this way with any other cars I’ve owned. Now this got me thinking if it makes sense to replace an aging ice car in the household with another MYP. Has anyone done this? Part of me thinking this would be cool to have both MYP because wife and I both love the car. But another part of me is wondering if I would get bored with MY soon and then regret having both same cars. A top contender is Hyundai Ioniq 5 that is 58k out the door, so cost wise it’s about 15k saving after the rebate. But I just don’t love the car, it’s cool and check off many boxes, but I can’t get over the interior because it feels just like any traditional ice car. And there are a lot of little annoyances like still have to use start/stop button, no phone as key, sluggish UI, no wireless CarPlay, no rear wiper, no Netflix on screen and also smaller rear seat and trunk space…etc I think I’ll get bored with it relatively soon and just don’t think it will hold its value once Gen 2 or 2023 Model comes out. Just want to see if any one has gone through similar decision making process, and just decide to switch to EV/Tesla completely. We don’t drive long distance trip so range is not that important to me. Thanks.
The only thing I kind of miss on the Model Y is CarPlay.

Maybe get a Model 3 LR as your second car? Has about the same storage as the Ioniq (though spread out a bit), different ride characteristics, different look, longer range. Or heck, go full Model 3 SR and you are price competitive with the Ioniq and only giving up a small amount of storage and range.

I test drove the Ioniq 5, it was nice but I almost spit when they said they wanted 15k over sticker. I'm with @Ogre get a model 3.

Reactions: IdaX
I test drove the Ioniq 5, it was nice but I almost spit when they said they wanted 15k over sticker. I'm with @Ogre get a model 3.
Yeah here in NJ I found dealer would sell at MSRP, but that’s a bit misleading once i got the order sheet. Basically Hyandai adding those accessories like floor mate as factory installed package so you don’t have any choice to not take them. And then there’s jacked up doc fee from dealer. So it is a BS ‘ MSRP’ vs Tesla’s straight forward pricing, so push price to over 58k. I know Tesla would hold value, but not sure it this car really worth 58k.

Reactions: IdaX and CaliX
But doesn't the ioniq qualify for a $7,500? Downside to that is that dealers know this and will most likely not sell below MSRP. I personally would wait, Lexus is coming out with an electric suv this year. Yeah carplay is a no brainer, the tesla system sucks. Like I can't go into any playlist and have to pull my phone out to do so.

I’ve had my MYP for about 6 months now and still look forward to every drive. The car just fits me so well it’s kind of insane. That said, when my wife decided to switch into an EV, we both decided that it would be pretty boring to be driving the same cars (MY or M3), so we knew we were not getting another Tesla. She wanted a Coupé style SUV, so that severely limited the options and initially we were thinking Audi Q4 etron Sportback. However, after finding out that the Q4 Sportback was not remotely close to reaching the US, we started looking at the Volvo C40 and took a test drive on the XC40 Recharge. My wife liked it and we ordered a C40 that’s hopefully arriving this next week.

I’ve done a lot research into the C40 Recharge and while it’s certainly not perfect, with lots of potential issues, I think it will be a nice car for my wife and I look forward to driving it too.

I really do love my MYP, but I don’t think I would get two copies of any car in my household. Gotta have some variety!

My wife needed a new car and I haven't driven anything that even comes close to the Model Y (including my old Model 3). It was a no brainer to get her one too. We both love them, have plenty of solar panels on the roof, and it's simple to switch between the cars as we've set them up identically.

Reactions: IdaX
I’ve had my MYP for about 6 months now and still look forward to every drive. The car just fits me so well it’s kind of insane. That said, when my wife decided to switch into an EV, we both decided that it would be pretty boring to be driving the same cars (MY or M3), so we knew we were not getting another Tesla. She wanted a Coupé style SUV, so that severely limited the options and initially we were thinking Audi Q4 etron Sportback. However, after finding out that the Q4 Sportback was not remotely close to reaching the US, we started looking at the Volvo C40 and took a test drive on the XC40 Recharge. My wife liked it and we ordered a C40 that’s hopefully arriving this next week.

I’ve done a lot research into the C40 Recharge and while it’s certainly not perfect, with lots of potential issues, I think it will be a nice car for my wife and I look forward to driving it too.

I really do love my MYP, but I don’t think I would get two copies of any car in my household. Gotta have some variety!
The only variety you need, is different colors! Having two of the same car is definitely not an issue.

20220202_161519.jpg
20220202_161456.jpg

@Jersey_guy_202 Another way to look at it is, would you have two BMW X3's? My previous car was a Mazda CX-5, which I really liked, but I wouldn't want two of them. So I'd get either a different model Tesla or something else completely. Lots of good options out there now, especially if your use case for each car differs.

@Jersey_guy_202 Another way to look at it is, would you have two BMW X3's? My previous car was a Mazda CX-5, which I really liked, but I wouldn't want two of them. So I'd get either a different model Tesla or something else completely. Lots of good options out there now, especially if your use case for each car differs.
I hear you, but to be honest I don’t love X3’s. It’s an ok car but I just never really love it. I also have doubts on German cars after initial warranty period is over and the maintenance cost going forward. And I hate the fact that they depreciate like crazy first 3 years. Part of struggle is that I feel at this price range 60-65k I’m not finding anything better than Tesla in terms of performance, size, storage, comfort and of course technology. I feel anything besides MY I would be settling, just for the sake of not getting same car. It’s just a really great family car. Also in NJ there’s no sales tax on EV so choosing Ice or hybrid will add additional 4-5k cost. Happy to hear other viable alternatives.

I hear you, but to be honest I don’t love X3’s. It’s an ok car but I just never really love it. I also have doubts on German cars after initial warranty period is over and the maintenance cost going forward. And I hate the fact that they depreciate like crazy first 3 years. Part of struggle is that I feel at this price range 60-65k I’m not finding anything better than Tesla in terms of performance, size, storage, comfort and of course technology. I feel anything besides MY I would be settling, just for the sake of not getting same car. It’s just a really great family car. Also in NJ there’s no sales tax on EV so choosing Ice or hybrid will add additional 4-5k cost. Happy to hear other viable alternatives.
I certainly wasn't suggesting another X3 or an ICE or hybrid - my only point was, I'd be bored having two of the same cars, no matter how much I liked them. My wife wants an EV but not a 4 door, so we are keeping her 2009 MINI Cooper going for her daily commute until something she likes comes along. I'd probably go for a M3P if a second Tesla was my only choice.

Personally, I might have considered going with the Polestar 2 just for the performance (based on what I'm seeing now).

We ended up with two MYLR (long story, but both purchased at a good discount over current pricing ($10K under and $5K under)). If I had known we were going to end up with two, I would have gotten the MYP for sure.

As it was stated above, just get different colors.

Funny story, last night after dinner, walking to my White MYLR, my son walked up to a MSM MY two spaces away and tried to get in (my wife's color is MSM). He forgot which Y we took to dinner. So just remember which one you drove each time. 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: Jersey_guy_202
I test drove the Ioniq 5 about a month ago.
Things I liked that are missing from Model Y: No ventilated seats available in Y.
You can only get glass roof on Hyundai if you get the Limited package. That also applies to the ventilated seats and HUD.
Ioniq has HUD and imo a much nicer looking interior. I like exterior styling better on Ioniq also.
Y was designed for maximum c/d without much thought to design imo. And Tesla never changes
the look of the car. I would like people to know I have a NEW Tesla and not a 4 year old model
that looks exactly the same. This applies to basically all Tesla models with just a very slight refresh.
I decided against the Ioniq 5 due to lack of charging stations, dealer markup, and if you didn't know,
you only get a 115v charging cable with the car. So you have to go out and spend another $500 or so
to charge with 220v. Also, frunk on Hyundai is useless. Too many negatives for me.
I do think it's a nice ev however, just not right for me.