Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 Model Y or Ioniq 5?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only variety you need, is different colors! Having two of the same car is definitely not an issue.

View attachment 778725
Reminds me of a local post on the Houston Tesla group where a person spotted an M3 with a personalized plate reading HIS and not long after a post was made seeing a plate that read HERS only to find out the owner of the two cars posted a picture later that evening of both in the garage.

Reactions: advocate8
Carplay and AA are something I really miss from the Tesla. Some will say ventilated seats but I could care less about those. I wanted to do the same thing but my wife doesn't like the Tesla (sits to low to the ground). We have a Rivian R1S on order for her. I don't see how you can get bored with the Tesla honestly...it is a blast to drive and I love mine every time I get in it. The ioniq 5 or EV6 might be tempting if there was a significant cost savings but with the dealer markups they just aren't doing it for me. The EV6 GT with 576 HP will be interesting when that comes out and we may see an Ioniq 5 N model with similar performance but until then MYP is the way to go IMO. If performance is not that important and also if the dealers weren't marking them up so bad then the RWD Ioniq 5 or EV6 might be a good deal. It would be extremely difficult for me to go to something with lower performance.

I was in a similar situation. We got a MY LR back in June 2022. My wife and I both love the car and neither of us wanted to drive our 2016 BMW 535i X. We debated getting another Y, but I thought I would like to have something slightly different. We just received our 2022 Model 3 LR. My wife likes that the controls are the same, so she does not have to learn two systems (except when the UI is updated) and I find the driving experience different enough - the 3 is faster and corners better. We use the Y for family trips and I the 3 is my daily driver. We had already spent to the money on the 240v charging architecture.

I was in a similar situation. We got a MY LR back in June 2022. My wife and I both love the car and neither of us wanted to drive our 2016 BMW 535i X. We debated getting another Y, but I thought I would like to have something slightly different. We just received our 2022 Model 3 LR. My wife likes that the controls are the same, so she does not have to learn two systems (except when the UI is updated) and I find the driving experience different enough - the 3 is faster and corners better. We use the Y for family trips and I the 3 is my daily driver. We had already spent to the money on the 240v charging architecture.
Thanks for the feedback! Do you find Model 3 too low / too small after getting used to Model Y? If you were to do again would you still order M3 or would you have switched to MY? Cost wise it’s currently about 10k difference between M3 LR and MYP.

Oppositely, I appreciate that my 2020 MYLR still looks like a brand new car. I like to assume it’ll still look new for a while.

I rarely get new cars. I'm the type of person that buys a car brand new, and keep it for 15-20 years until it's worth pretty much nothing. I like the fact that Tesla has barely changed the looks of their cars. After 5 years my car would still look fairly new. It seems like a waste of resources to me to change up the looks of a car every 3 years like most manufacturers do. I'm curious if Rivian and Lucid will follow Tesla's lead on this.

Thanks for the feedback! Do you find Model 3 too low / too small after getting used to Model Y? If you were to do again would you still order M3 or would you have switched to MY? Cost wise it’s currently about 10k difference between M3 LR and MYP.
The 3 is definitely lower and smaller, but that's what makes it a better driver's car - it is a tradeoff. There is certainly plenty of room in the front seats (I am 6'1") and enough in the back seats for the kids on shorter trips. The Y has much more cargo space and we use that car for longer trips. I am glad I got the 3 as opposed to another Y. As I said, it is nice to have cars that have different driving dynamics and personalities.

Reactions: Jersey_guy_202
don't make a mistake like I did-thought of owning 2 different EVs. Sold my 2018 M3 to buy MY and sold Leaf & bought Bolt. Bolt has been pain in the ass for delayed, delayed battery replacement. Most of the EV manufacturers have not proven how their battery would function and Tesla has been around for a while. Moreover, superchargers are the gem for EVs.

What’s the point of CarPlay when you have Spotify? I never had CarPlay in any car….
This has been discussed many times in other threads. Here’s one:

Well after reading that I still don’t get the big deal. Tesla has no problem calling or texting from my contact list. Spotify has podcasts…. I’m missing the big deal…
Yeah I have wireless CarPlay in X3 and it was a big deal for using in older cars that don’t come with map or traffic updates. But Tesla provides same or even better function. For audios, Bluetooth works perfectly fine from the phone for me. It would be nice to have but to me not that important.

Lots of thoughtful points here, even on opposing views at times. I looked at the Hyundai last month and really liked the interior, the options and features and dash layout in particular, and the build quality.
And the idea of getting a full tax credit. My two main concerns are that it just hasn’t had enough time to work through any teething pains -- speculative, who knows if there will be issues that are major enough to worry about -- and on a more practical note nothing like the Supercharger network.

Well after reading that I still don’t get the big deal. Tesla has no problem calling or texting from my contact list. Spotify has podcasts…. I’m missing the big deal…
So you read this and still don't get it?

Podcasts - how to say this delicately…TuneIn Sucks. Bad. It makes Ford Sync look good. With carplay you can use Apple’s podcast app, or any other podcast app. Carplay remembers which podcasts I’ve listened to and remembers where I was if I stopped in the middle. If I start in one car then take our other car later on, I have the same list of podcasts and can start back up at the same spot I left off. Tunein can’t even remember where it was if turn the car off to run into Jimmy Johns. Then there’s the random logging out or simply not downloading podcasts.

I pulled that quote from the linked thread. I've experienced the same frustration as that poster mentions (and bolded the relevant text). It's really frustrating to listen to podcasts when it starts from the beginning even if you're away for 5 minutes. Or it says it's playing the current day's podcast but you keep thinking "that was news last Thursday, why is he talking about it now, sounds familiar" then eventually discover it was playing Friday's edition even though the screen say it's playing Tuesday's (today).

So you read this and still don't get it?

I pulled that quote from the linked thread. I've experienced the same frustration as that poster mentions (and bolded the relevant text). It's really frustrating to listen to podcasts when it starts from the beginning even if you're away for 5 minutes. Or it says it's playing the current day's podcast but you keep thinking "that was news last Thursday, why is he talking about it now, sounds familiar" then eventually discover it was playing Friday's edition even though the screen say it's playing Tuesday's (today).
The poster you replied to—any many others like myself—don't use either Apple's Podcast app or Tunein.

So the comparison is rather pointless. Tunein may or may not suck... I've never used it. I just play podcasts from my phone over bluetooth. It might be a bit better if I had CarPlay and could use Overcast's CarPlay app, but I doubt it's that big of a deal.

I'm hoping we get some kind of CarPlay support on the Tesla, but it's one feature of many on the car and a fairly minor one.