Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 Model Y or Ioniq 5?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To get back on track, I have a Model Y Long Range and just went to test drive the Ioniq 5 and I am looking to go for it if a deal comes through. It's $55k for the top trim with 4k mark up. It is nice in terms of ride quality and features. No autopilot which sucks.

Reactions: WhiteWi
I got my Model Y back in 2020 and loved the car. Unfortunately I had to get rid of it earlier this year and ended up getting the IONIQ 5.

I do miss the better entertainment system of the Model Y including Navigation, the better Tesla app and using my phone as a key.

However, for the IONIQ CarPlay is nice (got a Wireless adapter for $70), the ventilated seats are nice, the 360 cameras, and the automatic sunshade. Plus 2 years of free charging.

Overall both cars are great. I'm in the North East so EA stations are plentiful for trips that I do. Ultimately the main reason I picked the IONIQ 5 was price. The Model Y is now $65k with 20" wheels and the IONIQ 5 Limited fully loaded with the Shooting Star matte paint was $56k. That is nearly $10,000 less and that is not even including the tax credit. Luckily my neighborhood dealer was selling at MSRP with no BS fees.

To get back on track, I have a Model Y Long Range and just went to test drive the Ioniq 5 and I am looking to go for it if a deal comes through. It's $55k for the top trim with 4k mark up. It is nice in terms of ride quality and features. No autopilot which sucks.
If you don’t need the extra mileage or space ioniq 5 offers, go with Volvo C40. Hyundai is not a luxury brand. You will have to deal with their dealerships for years to come. I wouldn’t trust any dealer who is marking up. I went to test drive Mach E GT the other day and the dealer was bragging how quickly they sell and was giving me a $20k mark up. I immediately walked out.

So you read this and still don't get it?

I pulled that quote from the linked thread. I've experienced the same frustration as that poster mentions (and bolded the relevant text). It's really frustrating to listen to podcasts when it starts from the beginning even if you're away for 5 minutes. Or it says it's playing the current day's podcast but you keep thinking "that was news last Thursday, why is he talking about it now, sounds familiar" then eventually discover it was playing Friday's edition even though the screen say it's playing Tuesday's (today).

Spotify remember where you were at on the podcast….

I test drove the ioniq 5, I am 6’2” I found the steering wheel odd for me, didn’t go low enough or extend far enough. I also found the lack of a full center console… like my right leg had nothing to rest on. The car was really well made and I liked several things about it but I spit when they said it would by 15k over sticker for the limited which was the only one that had heads up display which I would need cause I couldn’t find a comfortable position for the steering wheel without blocking the screen in front of me. I went with a 22 MYP.

My local dealer sold all of them with the huge market up so what do I know. I do love my Y.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mangrove79
It looks hideous tbh not as sexy as M3 or MS
True, The car will be ugly as sin but if it gets 400 a charge with state of the art inferior and quality that exceeds other Manufractures it will be a high quality especially if comes in around 70k they will have a winner, Now Tesla at their choosing could its timing there asses add all those items to there own car plus add those features and more and pumpout new their new Tech before the other manufactures finish a run of their cars,

I test drove the Ioniq 5 about a month ago.
Things I liked that are missing from Model Y: No ventilated seats available in Y.
You can only get glass roof on Hyundai if you get the Limited package. That also applies to the ventilated seats and HUD.
Ioniq has HUD and imo a much nicer looking interior. I like exterior styling better on Ioniq also.
Y was designed for maximum c/d without much thought to design imo. And Tesla never changes
the look of the car. I would like people to know I have a NEW Tesla and not a 4 year old model
that looks exactly the same. This applies to basically all Tesla models with just a very slight refresh.
I decided against the Ioniq 5 due to lack of charging stations, dealer markup, and if you didn't know,
you only get a 115v charging cable with the car. So you have to go out and spend another $500 or so
to charge with 220v. Also, frunk on Hyundai is useless. Too many negatives for me.
I do think it's a nice ev however, just not right for me.
A bunch of 240V/32A portable EVSEs cost in the $290-$330 range. (But personally, I'd never want to rely on the portable EVSE that comes with the car.)

True, The car will be ugly as sin but if it gets 400 a charge with state of the art inferior and quality that exceeds other Manufractures it will be a high quality especially if comes in around 70k they will have a winner, Now Tesla at their choosing could its timing there asses add all those items to there own car plus add those features and more and pumpout new their new Tech before the other manufactures finish a run of their cars,
OMG this is what happens when you use an iphone to type with and your fingers are too big 😂😂😂

I certainly appreciate the competition. Tesla is out of control with their pricing.

We have a Y and have a 3 on order. But then, we once bought two manual transmission Jettas on the same day and we both ride Triumph T120s! Never had a problem with duplicates when we both love the same vehicles. Personally, of the non-Tesla EVs, I think the mustang mach-e has the best styling. The drive was pretty mushy though. As for CarPlay, my iPhone syncs fine over Bluetooth and Siri responds, so it’s not a big problem. I just wish Tesla nav let us choose no highways. Sometimes I want to explore.

I was paying for Spotify for a few months, but now forget why. I do remember it just spinning occasionally when I tried to play podcasts. I think the fix was to sign out and sign back in.

You can’t add a custom podcast URL to Spotify to get a paid podcast I subscribe to.
You also need to pay for Spotify.

I can and do play podcasts from my phone via bluetooth. The problem with that is I can’t browse through my podcast library to see what‘s available.

The Tesla apps work for a lot of people, but for a lot of other people they don’t. Car Play simply gives more flexibility (and cost savings.)

Reactions: Noflash
I like the BMW vs. Mercedes angle for the mid size EV family sedan. Those will both sell. Tesla fit and finish makes it a bit fragile compared to the over-engineered, redundant, thick painted german sedans.

Mercedes interior is usually superior to BMW, and I'd put my guess EQE will be the winner.

Too bad the Mercedes EV lineup is kinda ugly.

Last edited:

The top trim (Limited) is great. The other trims.. meh... pass. I test drove all and was surprised at the missing features of every trim. The base trim (SE) doesn't even have a front sensor!!! The SE and SEL trims don't have 360 cameras and for a car with a wide turning radius I'd want one. The SE and SEL audio system is just "okay" and even the Premium audio on the Limited is not amazing either.

Ioniq 5 is a solid overall EV but I still push for PHEVs like RAV4 Primes. Most non-Teslas (except Lucid) are simply not practical as primary cars because of low range and poor charging (CCS) network. These EVs are best as commuter cars...