Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 Model Y or Ioniq 5?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The top trim (Limited) is great. The other trims.. meh... pass. I test drove all and was surprised at the missing features of every trim. The base trim (SE) doesn't even have a front sensor!!! The SE and SEL trims don't have 360 cameras and for a car with a wide turning radius I'd want one. The SE and SEL audio system is just "okay" and even the Premium audio on the Limited is not amazing either.

Ioniq 5 is a solid overall EV but I still push for PHEVs like RAV4 Primes. Most non-Teslas (except Lucid) are simply not practical as primary cars because of low range and poor charging (CCS) network. These EVs are best as commuter cars...
I wouldn't call the CCS charging network poor. Maybe that was true a year or 2 ago, but today it is pretty good. Especially if you are only using it for trips. EA is installing new chargers almost as quick as Tesla. This year is going to show a lot of growth.

Reactions: Fairchild
I wouldn't call the CCS charging network poor. Maybe that was true a year or 2 ago, but today it is pretty good. Especially if you are only using it for trips. EA is installing new chargers almost as quick as Tesla. This year is going to show a lot of growth.

"EA is installing new chargers almost as quick as Tesla." - maybe where you live.

Bought my first CCS EV (ID.4) in August 2021 and the only EA charger that has been built in a 200 mile radius of me since then... oh wait... none. The Tampa location is still under construction.

Since I got my first Tesla in Oct 2021.... 2 new SC locations have opened within 30-ish miles and 4 more locations are opening up in the next three months.

• Informative
Reactions: WhiteWi
Except that’s what the majority of people do with their cars. Most people still have 2 ICE cars. If they get an EV to replace one and use the other for road trips they’re still fine.
This is the logic Mazda used when they released their EV with a 100 mile range.

Also, the Nissan Leaf. I can pick up a used Nissan Leaf in good shape for $12k.

This is the logic Mazda used when they released their EV with a 100 mile range.
Except they only are selling it in CA.

1648853895054.png

MINI Cooper SE is the best EV commuter car IMO. $30K minus $7500 tax credit.

Want to hear you guys thoughts to see if I’m crazy. I picked up MYP 3 weeks ago to replace outgoing X3 and absolutely love everything about the car. This is my first EV, and Tesla, and my mind is blown. I don’t think I can ever go back to any ICE car. I just get so excited every time I get to drive it, and I don’t think I ever felt this way with any other cars I’ve owned. Now this got me thinking if it makes sense to replace an aging ice car in the household with another MYP. Has anyone done this? Part of me thinking this would be cool to have both MYP because wife and I both love the car. But another part of me is wondering if I would get bored with MY soon and then regret having both same cars. A top contender is Hyundai Ioniq 5 that is 58k out the door, so cost wise it’s about 15k saving after the rebate. But I just don’t love the car, it’s cool and check off many boxes, but I can’t get over the interior because it feels just like any traditional ice car. And there are a lot of little annoyances like still have to use start/stop button, no phone as key, sluggish UI, no wireless CarPlay, no rear wiper, no Netflix on screen and also smaller rear seat and trunk space…etc I think I’ll get bored with it relatively soon and just don’t think it will hold its value once Gen 2 or 2023 Model comes out. Just want to see if any one has gone through similar decision making process, and just decide to switch to EV/Tesla completely. We don’t drive long distance trip so range is not that important to me. Thanks.
I just read thru the four pages of this post. I haven't received my Y yet but I've test driven the M 3, M S, M X and the M Y roughly a half dozen times. Just prior to placing my order this past January, I test drove a $120k Mercedes EQS. I was not overly impressed and when they told me they were not set up to use the Tesla Supercharge network, I was about ready to place my order for the Tesla. I had to upgrade my Federal Pacific 200 Amp basement panel, and have a 100 Amp sub panel installed in my garage with a 150ft run of #2 aluminum 4 conductor cable. The Tesla wall charger is in my garage awaiting my vehicle that hopefully will arrive by August 6th?
I am looking forward to driving it from NJ to Florida. My present Infiniti Q70 is going to my daughter. She is excited for it, and I'm excited to finally receive my Y

I just bought a Ioniq 5 Limited and can say it is much better than my MYLR in terms of comfort, quietness and features. I'll start with the pro's, using a phone decibel reader on the same highway speed for both cars, the Ioniq 5 (I5) read 3 to 4 db lower which may not seem like a lot numbers wise but it sounds almost half as noisy. The apple carplay is wired but you can buy a dongle to make it wireless, works great. The suspension is AMAZING, it's like riding on a cloud. Alex on Autos on youtube specifically said he would give up the acceleration/handling (I think of the Tesla) just for the I5 and he was right. Qualifies for a tax rebate of $7,500 which makes the car significantly cheaper even if you pay a slight markup. It has a legit blind spot, what do I mean by legit? It has a light on the mirror, but on the screen it'll give a red alert to whichever side there is a car in the blind spot AND it'll show the alert on the head up display so I never have to take my eyes off the road. It comes with Michelin A/S 4 tires which are one of the top rated tires there are. There is no boominess or pressure. When going over bumps, you can feel/hear how solid the car is. No rattles or creeks except for the seat belt buckle hitting the panel (I'll put padding there). It has a retractable sunshade and the car itself feels much more roomy.

The con's of the i5, it's so stupid, you can walk up to your car and the handles self present themselves (pro) but when you walk away, it doesn't lock automatically like the Tesla does, so you have to pull the fob out of your pocket/jacket to lock it even though you didn't have to when walking up to it. Also the charging network sucks and I had range anxiety because one of the Electrify America chargers was not working but the app didn't say that nor did it say it on the screen at the station so I had to drive 30 min. to another one. The car doesn't show where there are charging stations like the Tesla screen, I have to manually pull out my phone and search for chargers which is a pain. It doesn't have autopilot, it does have steering assist but most of the time it turns off when going around a bend or when it can't lock on AND it doesn't alert you every time so sometimes you could think that it's going to handle turns and steer for you but at times I find I almost crash because it disengaged but didn't alert me. There is practically no frunk space, no kick sensor for the trunk, you have to stand there for like 5 seconds then the hatch opens.

My next car this year will either be the Lexus RZ or Genesis GV60.

We currently own a 2020 M3SR+ that we bought new and love. I sold my 2017 F150 in November and we leased a 2021 Mazda CX-9 cause we couldn’t commit to two EVs. Well that was a mistake cause we both only want to drive the Tesla. So it’s getting miles racked up. So the Mazda is going. So the hunt for the next EV began. Wanted to go with the Q4 Etron, but impossible to get here. Thought about a model S or an Etron gt but you can get two M3LR for the price of one of those! So that led us to thinking we’d just get another M3 but I wanted at least one vehicle with more capacity. So I ordered a MYP for myself. Wife gets my beloved M3. Can’t wait! But also I’m concerned I won’t like it as much…

not sure if this helps you in any way shape or form though lol

Reactions: Nolakai and WhiteWi
I just bought a Ioniq 5 Limited and can say it is much better than my MYLR in terms of comfort, quietness and features. I'll start with the pro's, using a phone decibel reader on the same highway speed for both cars, the Ioniq 5 (I5) read 3 to 4 db lower which may not seem like a lot numbers wise but it sounds almost half as noisy. The apple carplay is wired but you can buy a dongle to make it wireless, works great. The suspension is AMAZING, it's like riding on a cloud. Alex on Autos on youtube specifically said he would give up the acceleration/handling (I think of the Tesla) just for the I5 and he was right. Qualifies for a tax rebate of $7,500 which makes the car significantly cheaper even if you pay a slight markup. It has a legit blind spot, what do I mean by legit? It has a light on the mirror, but on the screen it'll give a red alert to whichever side there is a car in the blind spot AND it'll show the alert on the head up display so I never have to take my eyes off the road. It comes with Michelin A/S 4 tires which are one of the top rated tires there are. There is no boominess or pressure. When going over bumps, you can feel/hear how solid the car is. No rattles or creeks except for the seat belt buckle hitting the panel (I'll put padding there). It has a retractable sunshade and the car itself feels much more roomy.

The con's of the i5, it's so stupid, you can walk up to your car and the handles self present themselves (pro) but when you walk away, it doesn't lock automatically like the Tesla does, so you have to pull the fob out of your pocket/jacket to lock it even though you didn't have to when walking up to it. Also the charging network sucks and I had range anxiety because one of the Electrify America chargers was not working but the app didn't say that nor did it say it on the screen at the station so I had to drive 30 min. to another one. The car doesn't show where there are charging stations like the Tesla screen, I have to manually pull out my phone and search for chargers which is a pain. It doesn't have autopilot, it does have steering assist but most of the time it turns off when going around a bend or when it can't lock on AND it doesn't alert you every time so sometimes you could think that it's going to handle turns and steer for you but at times I find I almost crash because it disengaged but didn't alert me. There is practically no frunk space, no kick sensor for the trunk, you have to stand there for like 5 seconds then the hatch opens.

Thanks for the feedback. I think general consensus is that Ioniq 5 is definitely on the quieter side compared to MY. Maybe you had an earlier version but the current Model Y comes with double-pane front windows, which should help narrow the gap. Also, Model Y has larger legroom and headroom, especially for second row, as well as raised seat that allows feet to slide under easily, and much much larger trunk and available storage space. The room underneath the raised seat is pretty significant when I sat in the back, it allows a much more comfortable and relaxing posture in Model Y vs Ioniq 5 based on my test drive. New MYP come with Michelin AS so that narrows the gap somewhat, but I agree Ioniq 5 has a much softer ride.

The cons of I5, like you said, are little things that are just either stupid or really irritating. I just don't know if I can live with those little annoyances day-to-day. MY is just so simple and straight forward with phone as key that works 100% of time. There's no start button to push and just get in and drive. Also, with Tesla's Homelink it opens and closes garage door automatically, and it locks itself automatically when you walk away. Not to mention all the entertainment options available while you wait. I5's wired CarPlay is stupid, I know it can be rectified with wireless dongle but from what I read it takes too long to connect. Little things matter, and we are not even talking about the shorter range of Ioniq 5.

Great feedback, hope all these companies can 'learn', aka copy, from each other the advantages and one can come up with a truly great car.

Reactions: Fairchild
Autopilot alone beats any other car’s driver assist package.
In a perfect world - only GM's SuperCruise would beat it (drove a Caddy CT6 for work in 2019-2020 - truly hands free with no phantom braking)
However, many are very close; IMHO Hyundai's Highway Driver Assist II (HDA II) system is very close; it'll change lanes for you without a $12k FSD package. Curious what the Rivian & Lucid team will come out with

Thanks for this feedback - my MYLR ride & suspension is, by far, it's weakest point. I've compared it to sitting on a pile of bricks with wheels. Due to the chip shortage, the 2022 Ioniq 5 & Kia EV6 have wired CarPlay but they are catching up and will offer wireless CarPlay in 2023 (supposedly).
Ioniq 5 +'s: cheaper (after $7500 EV credit), better material quality, better build quality, better ride, quieter ride, 360 camera, CarPlay
Ioniq 5 -'s: Hyundai/Kia traditionally lower resale values (except Palisade/Telluride twins), relies on 3rd party charging infrastructure, User Interface is not as intuitive

Wife drives 10-15 miles around town daily where the Supercharger network advantage is not of value; next EV for her will likely be a GV60 (if she can get over the looks) or the Subaru Solterra/Toyota bZ4x.

Big Tesla fan, just really glad to see worthwhile competition.

Unlike my 2020 MYLR, our two 2022 MYPs interiors have no rattles (I've commented before on the improved fit and finish from 2020 to 2022 model ys). EXCEPT....sometimes the back seat buckles do rattle against the plastic sides. (our 2020 did too, its just a design issue).

You mentioned ->

----------
No rattles or creeks except for the seat belt buckle hitting the panel (I'll put padding there)
----------

Have you put padding on a model y? What kind of padding are you thinking of? I want to do something about the area but I don't want it to look hokey either.

Tesla has added soft-sided velcro to the front seat receiver buckles which works ->

20220402_121833.jpg

And, you rarely see it. But, the back seat buckles is still an issue with the model y design.

I get it, the seats fold, but there has to be a better design for how the rear seat straps work.

It can be all over the place ->

20220402_121849.jpg

20220402_121908.jpg

20220402_121949.jpg

Ideally it would always be like picture 1, but can't happen because the seat folds.

In picture 2...is when the rattles happen since the buckle is hitting against the plastic.

Position 3 it can still rattle a bit, but then the passenger is hunting for the buckle when they get in. (a nightmare for a drivepool kid that doesn't ride in a tesla and its dark out....."where is the seat buckle?" I always hear).

Anyway...yeah, a better design is needed for the rear seats, and please let me know if you added padding to a tesla yet.

Thanks for this feedback - my MYLR ride & suspension is, by far, it's weakest point. I've compared it to sitting on a pile of bricks with wheels. Due to the chip shortage, the 2022 Ioniq 5 & Kia EV6 have wired CarPlay but they are catching up and will offer wireless CarPlay in 2023 (supposedly).
Ioniq 5 +'s: cheaper (after $7500 EV credit), better material quality, better build quality, better ride, quieter ride, 360 camera, CarPlay
Ioniq 5 -'s: Hyundai/Kia traditionally lower resale values (except Palisade/Telluride twins), relies on 3rd party charging infrastructure, User Interface is not as intuitive

Wife drives 10-15 miles around town daily where the Supercharger network advantage is not of value; next EV for her will likely be a GV60 (if she can get over the looks) or the Subaru Solterra/Toyota bZ4x.

Big Tesla fan, just really glad to see worthwhile competition.
From what I can tell from others' posts and from my experience test driving a new MYLR, I think the suspension has been improved significantly.

And Tesla never changes
the look of the car. I would like people to know I have a NEW Tesla and not a 4 year old model
that looks exactly the same.
Maybe,

If you get the Ionic 5, and want to sell it in a few years, let's see how much you get for it.

One of the things that I think keep resale values high with a Tesla is that they do not change body styles simply for the sake of change.

Tesla updates older models with software updates, so if, for example, you want to purchase a 2019 Model 3, yeah.. it will have chrome around the windows and door handles, compared to the newer blacked out version. And the new version will (I believe) have dual glazed windows up front, while the older one doesn't.

But if you put the two cars side by side, if the 2019 Model 3 was well maintained... the average joe will have a hard time telling which one is the new version, and which one is the older one. And inside the car, they'll be almost identical!

Guess what? That's why when a magazine recently rated which cars retained the most value over 3 years, it found that the Tesla Model 3 lost 5% of it's value over that time period, the #2 car lost 11.5% of it's value (can't remember which car came in 2nd) but most others lost quite a bit more in 3 short years!

Personally, not a fan of the 5 year new body car cycle... develop a nice style, make modest tweaks, and keep the resale value up.

Personally, not a fan of the 5 year new body car cycle... develop a nice style, make modest tweaks, and keep the resale value up.
Unless that body style is associated with problems. Then it becomes a drawback. In spite of their issues Teslas are basically good cars so the reputation helps them.

I think for a lot of people ‘new’ holds some allure and value so carmakers change the styles to make the cars seem ‘new’

A week ago I saw an Ioniq5 on the road. It cools but few days ago I saw another Ioniq 5 on freeway. Good too. But, when there were couple Tesla drove next Ioniq. Ioniq was nothing.
So my Tesla choice is good although I still wait for it
A week ago I sat in my Tesla with loud wind noise/pressure and no 360 camera. It was cool. But then I sat in an Ioniq 5 and back in the Tesla, the Tesla was nothing. So my choice with Ioniq is good.