Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 Model Y or Ioniq 5?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A week ago I sat in my Tesla with loud wind noise/pressure and no 360 camera. It was cool. But then I sat in an Ioniq 5 and back in the Tesla, the Tesla was nothing. So my choice with Ioniq is good.
If I could find a Limited I5 Id go that route. I love that HUD. They are having problems with their lead acid batteries dieing after a couple months , hopefully they fix that soon. But ye, better ride, 0-60 same as LR .

Not sure I would get Two of the same vehicle unles I already had one for a while . Maybe one of each and then decide if you want to keep one and sell one or keep both

Reactions: MyEarHurts
Well, I did it - instead of waiting until god knows when for my Model Y to arrive,
I bought an Ioniq 5 SEL RWD on Mar. 30. Dealer website showed car I wanted was "in transit"
and expected April 5, so I called the dealer for info. I immediately drove over to the dealership, placed my $1k deposit,
and was told it would probably come in before scheduled (and it did).
I believe the quality surpasses Tesla, both inside and out. I didn't have to bring a team
of inspectors with me to go over my I5 as I would have if I bought another Model Y.
Quality is excellent. Gaps, paint, interior all first quality. Also feels like more space inside the
passenger compartment. And I like the color choices available via Hyundai, not just the typical
black, white, gray. I bought the Lucid Blue with the light gray interior. In my opinion, a Model Y
looks boring and dull in comparison. I'm holding onto my order to follow along with when my
order will be given a vin. As with most of you, my EDD has changed many times, and is now May 21-July 2.
No rush for me to cancel, as no matter what, I will lose my $250 deposit.
Good luck to those of you waiting for delivery. I hope the wait is not too long.
I was a 2021 Model Y owner, so I'm pretty familiar with them. The constant EDD changes
just got to me where I was willing to lose my deposit. My major concern was even if it arrived
during the suggested EDD, I was worried about the quality, and if I would have to refuse delivery.
Also, not knowing if it would be an Austin car.

Well, I did it - instead of waiting until god knows when for my Model Y to arrive,
I bought an Ioniq 5 SEL RWD on Mar. 30. Dealer website showed car I wanted was "in transit"
and expected April 5, so I called the dealer for info. I immediately drove over to the dealership, placed my $1k deposit,
I believe the quality surpasses Tesla, both inside and out. I didn't have to bring a team
of inspectors with me to go over my I5 as I would have if I bought another Model Y.
Quality is excellent. Gaps, paint, interior all first quality. Also feels like more space inside the
passenger compartment. And I like the color choices available via Hyundai, not just the typical
black, white, gray. I bought the Lucid Blue with the light gray interior. In my opinion, a Model Y
looks boring and dull in comparison. I'm holding onto my order to follow along with when my
order will be given a vin. As with most of you, my EDD has changed many times, and is now May 21-July 2.
Good luck to those of you waiting for delivery. I hope the wait is not too long.
I was a 2021 Model Y owner, so I'm pretty familiar with them. The constant EDD changes
just got to me where I was willing to lose my deposit. My major concern was even if it arrived
during the suggested EDD, I was worried about the quality, and if I would have to refuse delivery.
When you get your vin see if you can flip it out to carvana or some other place and at a minimum get your $250 and likely a couple K

Well, since Tesla is going to item up the supercharger network to ALL EV's, this no longer applies. It's why i purchased a Tesla instead of an Audi at the time. The only reason. And they're taking that reason away. I would buy the Ionic, and would have, if it were available. Even paying over sticker, it's less expensive than my Y, built better, and has more useful features.

We currently own a 2020 M3SR+ that we bought new and love. I sold my 2017 F150 in November and we leased a 2021 Mazda CX-9 cause we couldn’t commit to two EVs. Well that was a mistake cause we both only want to drive the Tesla. So it’s getting miles racked up. So the Mazda is going. So the hunt for the next EV began. Wanted to go with the Q4 Etron, but impossible to get here. Thought about a model S or an Etron gt but you can get two M3LR for the price of one of those! So that led us to thinking we’d just get another M3 but I wanted at least one vehicle with more capacity. So I ordered a MYP for myself. Wife gets my beloved M3. Can’t wait! But also I’m concerned I won’t like it as much…

not sure if this helps you in any way shape or form though lol
Mirrors my family story when we first got m3 and I ended up selling my truck for another Tesla bc I wanted to drive my wife’s Tesla all the time. :)))

Last edited:
Reactions: bastrd_steve
You’ll be driving a Hyundai. That’s the main difference. It’s not a luxury brand. I would never pay $60k for a Hyundai. Appropriate alternatives would have been Volvo or Polestar and soon BMW.

You’ll be driving a Hyundai. That’s the main difference. It’s not a luxury brand. I would never pay $60k for a Hyundai. Appropriate alternatives would have been Volvo or Polestar and soon BMW.
They are really nice looking cars, but I'd be terrified about how much I could recover, when I was ready to move on...

How much will a 1, 2, 3 year old Hyundai bring you? Who knows, but I wouldn't want to find out.

At least with Tesla, the demand, even in the used market, is really amazing.

Good luck with the Ionic... they're beautiful cars and from what I hear, they drive great! Congrats!

Reactions: WhiteWi
We just test drove the EV6 GT Line yesterday and I'll present some thoughts:

1) The car looks cool. Very futuristic and eye catching
2) Interior is very nice. Buttons are well laid out and everything us within reach
3) It is SLOW (well comparatively at least). It felt significantly slower than even our Y SR, let alone an LR or P
4) This particular dealer wanted 12k over sticker, which is comical.
5) In addition to the above, Hyundai/KIA tacks on a bunch of mandatory accessories. Apparently this is standard

So in summary, it is definitely a welcome addition to the EV spectrum, but IMO not worth the money and especially the markup that they are asking.

I watched many videos before plunking my money down on the Ioniq 5.
I looked at Volvo C40 Recharge and Polestar, but both seemed to offer less interior space
and lower driving range. I have owned a few Hyundai's and also 2 Genesis G80's and their
quality speaks for itself. No, not a luxury brand per se, but neither is the Model Y.
I think interior design and quality beats Tesla, along with exterior looks, but that's just me.
That front end of the Y looks like a third grader created it.

I never buy a car worrying about resale, I generally never resell my cars and keep them for 15 years (or until they die). Tesla has been creating EV's for long enough time that I finnally felt confident enough to buy one. There is more risk with the Ionic 5 just because its their first EV but there is more upside.

Heck, you even get auto lane change and auto park all without having to pay 12k

Reactions: schen72
I never buy a car worrying about resale, I generally never resell my cars and keep them for 15 years (or until they die). Tesla has been creating EV's for long enough time that I finnally felt confident enough to buy one. There is more risk with the Ionic 5 just because its their first EV but there is more upside.

Heck, you even get auto lane change and auto park all without having to pay 12k
This is exactly my thought process too. I know my MY doesn't have typical features that a $60k car usually has. But Tesla has the most experience with a full BEV powertrain so I felt it was the least "risk" to go Tesla. I never got into the behavior of changing cars every few years because I think it's a waste of money but I can see how in the current abnormal market it might work out okay.

I also don't ever concern myself with "status" of having a luxury brand. I personally couldn't care less if people think Tesla is a luxury brand or not. Just buy what you like and don't be concerned with what others think.

see this thread

The model y may be called a Luxury brand because of its price but lets face it t, there is nothing luxury about it .
It's interesting how on one hand people say "Tesla's are nothing like a Hyundai or a Ford, they're a luxury brand" to say that they're better than those other brands, then when people complain about a lack of features or functionality that they expect from a luxury brand people the same people turn around and say "Tesla's aren't a luxury brand." It seems that whether Tesla is a luxury car or not depends on whether it fits your current argument.

Reactions: Crisss1205
A note to those that are thinking about the Ioniq 5, test drive it for an extensive time. After getting mine, the steering wheel does not extend out far enough for me to be comfortable. This was mentioned briefly in a review of a Canadian wife/husband on their youtube channel and didn't think anything of it. Also you have to lean forward a lot to reach the touch screen. This may make or break the deal for some. I have plans on trading it in either for a Lexus RZ or Genesis GV60 in the future if the price is right. The GV60 is luxury, face recognition for entry, and finger print for driving!

As for the whole luxury argument, don't get me wrong, I was a Tesla "fanboi" for a while but now that more and more EVs are hitting the market, there will be competition naturally and I think Tesla needs to up their game to prevent others from jumping ship. There has been posts that I've seen here and in groups that people will leave once more evs come out. Before someone comes and pulls the "they are sold out till next year" argument, that's because there isn't many ev options out yet but this year (Lexus RZ, Gensis gv60, Toyota, Subaru, and I think Cadillac) and the years to come will be competitive. I bought the Ioniq for the quietness.

Reactions: sleepydoc