Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 Model Y or Ioniq 5?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i saw an ioniq the other day and the paint was niiice. interior seemed nice. tempted to dump the MY and get Ioniq. What's better ionic of EV6?
I've had my Ioniq 5 since Mar. 30 after transferring my Model Y reservation to another member.
Having owned many Hyundai's and a Kia Stinger, I felt confident that when I went to pick up my car
I wouldn't have to spend a lot of time looking for the same problems Tesla owners encounter. Car was perfect,
with beautiful paint and interior quality. Korean QC is much above that of Fremont.
The platform for the I5 and the EV6 are the same - same battery pack. The different is in design.
Choose which one you like better. I believe availability of the I5 is better, although still difficult.
And be prepared to pay above msrp. I paid $3,500 over. I've bough about 5 cars from this dealer,
and they told me either pay it, or the guy behind you will. You don't have much of a choice, although
I know there are dealers on Long Island (NY) that sell for msrp if you are in that area.
If you have any specific questions I may be able to help. BTW... the RWD (which I have)
is EPA rated at 303 miles. AWD falls to around 257 which is a big drop.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 58
I've had my Ioniq 5 since Mar. 30 after transferring my Model Y reservation to another member.
Having owned many Hyundai's and a Kia Stinger, I felt confident that when I went to pick up my car
I wouldn't have to spend a lot of time looking for the same problems Tesla owners encounter. Car was perfect,
with beautiful paint and interior quality. Korean QC is much above that of Fremont.
The platform for the I5 and the EV6 are the same - same battery pack. The different is in design.
Choose which one you like better. I believe availability of the I5 is better, although still difficult.
And be prepared to pay above msrp. I paid $3,500 over. I've bough about 5 cars from this dealer,
and they told me either pay it, or the guy behind you will. You don't have much of a choice, although
I know there are dealers on Long Island (NY) that sell for msrp if you are in that area.
If you have any specific questions I may be able to help. BTW... the RWD (which I have)
is EPA rated at 303 miles. AWD falls to around 257 which is a big drop.
Picked up my I5 limited AWD in NJ at MSRP. Never pay any mark up. I’m surprised you still doing business with this dealer even after bought 5 cars from them and they still charged you markup. Time to find a new dealer.

Hyundai/Kia cars are okay. I mean they are okay. They have no character. just bland. They always have been and always will be. They are not known for performance and not known for super luxury either. They check all the marks, but again not all features/performance are created equal.
People would laugh at you if you pay MSRP a few years ago for the Hyundai/Kia cars. In this abnormal market, paying $$$ markups for them will be even crazier.
These cars will be perfect for those who want to check all the boxes, and doesn't really care about the actual performance/character of it.

Hyundai/Kia cars are okay. I mean they are okay. They have no character. just bland. They always have been and always will be. They are not known for performance and not known for super luxury either. They check all the marks, but again not all features/performance are created equal.
People would laugh at you if you pay MSRP a few years ago for the Hyundai/Kia cars. In this abnormal market, paying $$$ markups for them will be even crazier.
These cars will be perfect for those who want to check all the boxes, and doesn't really care about the actual performance/character of it.

I was thinking of swapping out my highlander for a 2nd ev (Ionic 5) but I am going to wait for thier next revision or another car.
I wasn't happy about having to swap out the fluid every 40k.

The model y may be called a Luxury brand because of its price but lets face it t, there is nothing luxury about it .
"Luxury" is definitely subjective. I find the Y to be very luxurious, in large part because of its minimalist aesthetic. Nothing feels cheaper to me than an over-designed vehicle or object. But of course, that is my subjective opinion. Fortunately, there are more options now, so everyone can find the car that suits their aesthetic.

Want to hear you guys thoughts to see if I’m crazy. I picked up MYP 3 weeks ago to replace outgoing X3 and absolutely love everything about the car. This is my first EV, and Tesla, and my mind is blown. I don’t think I can ever go back to any ICE car. I just get so excited every time I get to drive it, and I don’t think I ever felt this way with any other cars I’ve owned. Now this got me thinking if it makes sense to replace an aging ice car in the household with another MYP. Has anyone done this? Part of me thinking this would be cool to have both MYP because wife and I both love the car. But another part of me is wondering if I would get bored with MY soon and then regret having both same cars. A top contender is Hyundai Ioniq 5 that is 58k out the door, so cost wise it’s about 15k saving after the rebate. But I just don’t love the car, it’s cool and check off many boxes, but I can’t get over the interior because it feels just like any traditional ice car. And there are a lot of little annoyances like still have to use start/stop button, no phone as key, sluggish UI, no wireless CarPlay, no rear wiper, no Netflix on screen and also smaller rear seat and trunk space…etc I think I’ll get bored with it relatively soon and just don’t think it will hold its value once Gen 2 or 2023 Model comes out. Just want to see if any one has gone through similar decision making process, and just decide to switch to EV/Tesla completely. We don’t drive long distance trip so range is not that important to me. Thanks.
That is so huge; That you don’t drive long distances… If money is not a problem, you and your wife would be blown away with the incredible 2023 Mercedes Benz EQS 450 SUV 😲 nothing can top that..
Check it out. 👍🏻

• Funny
Reactions: mdsco
"Luxury" is definitely subjective. I find the Y to be very luxurious, in large part because of its minimalist aesthetic. Nothing feels cheaper to me than an over-designed vehicle or object. But of course, that is my subjective opinion. Fortunately, there are more options now, so everyone can find the car that suits their aesthetic.
This is a Genesis about the same price as a Model Y now and what I would call “Luxury”

• Disagree
Reactions: oktane and bkp_duke
That looks outdated before it even arrived. Big no!
And hence the expression “there’s no accounting for taste”

I like the interior of my MY. Some hate it. Same goes for the exterior styling. That’s something only the individual can decide. Beyond a discussion of more objective aspects like material quality, durability and usability (and even that’s getting more subjective,) there’s not much point in discussing styling. I know if I like something and a buy the car for me. Whether someone else likes how it looks is irrelevant.

Styling is one thing, the material and overal quality difference for the price is another. Tesla is making insane profit on their vehicles, and it’s almost like people have forgotten that the difference between price for consumer and cost for supplier is how badly you’re getting boned. Unless you’re an investor of course.

Minimalism and less is great if that’s what you want but it should cost a lot less, then again the Model Y did cost a lot less not that long ago. When that Genesis was made, the LR was a mere $49.9k and that would make a bit more sense.

• Disagree
Reactions: bkp_duke
This is the part where I walk away and never use that dealer again.
Yeah, I'm with you on that. HOWEVER, these cars are very hard to find.
All dealers, at least here in south FL have dealer markups. I specifically wanted the Lucid Blue
with light color interior in the SEL (middle) trim. They are not producing many in this color, so
unless you are willing to accept a color you really don't want, you must pay, or as they said "the next
guy will buy it". They markup every color, so if you want white, black or pink, they are marked up.
And if I found a local dealer with a lower markup, they didn't have the color I wanted.
It really pissed me off they treated me like that, but for now, they have the upper hand. I know some
dealers particularly in the northeast that are selling at msrp, but I didn't feel like driving 1,200 miles home.
I made a nice profit selling my 2021 Model Y which made the purchase more palatable.
This was the first time I ever paid over msrp. It was painful, but it was also painful waiting for the 2022 Model Y
I ordered last Dec. where they kept on changing my EDD so I transferred my reservation to a member here for $1k,
which also helped me swallow the dealer markup.

They are not producing many in this color, so unless you are willing to accept a color you really don't want, you must pay, or as they said "the next guy will buy it".
They can say whatever they want, but I will never pay over MSRP. There are actually dealers which don't fleece their customers
because they want the return business in the future. Eventually this shortage will end all all of the people who bought them at inflated prices will be undewater when they try to sell them again.

Yeah, I'm with you on that. HOWEVER, these cars are very hard to find.
All dealers, at least here in south FL have dealer markups. I specifically wanted the Lucid Blue
with light color interior in the SEL (middle) trim. They are not producing many in this color, so
unless you are willing to accept a color you really don't want, you must pay, or as they said "the next
guy will buy it". They markup every color, so if you want white, black or pink, they are marked up.
And if I found a local dealer with a lower markup, they didn't have the color I wanted.
It really pissed me off they treated me like that, but for now, they have the upper hand. I know some
dealers particularly in the northeast that are selling at msrp, but I didn't feel like driving 1,200 miles home.
I made a nice profit selling my 2021 Model Y which made the purchase more palatable.
This was the first time I ever paid over msrp. It was painful, but it was also painful waiting for the 2022 Model Y
I ordered last Dec. where they kept on changing my EDD so I transferred my reservation to a member here for $1k,
which also helped me swallow the dealer markup.
Did you have urgent/absolute needs for the car? if not, you are just another victim of dealer's "oh this is limited run, and there might not be anymore run after this" type trap. They will always always have more and more. Now enjoy your overpriced Hyundai/Kia and hope you don't have to sell it in 2-3 years when the used car market becomes back to pre pandemic prices, and now you have very expensive Hyundai/Kia to sell for significant loss.

• Disagree
Reactions: Yurand and WhiteWi
This is market economics, folks. The supply is constrained and the sellers can add a markup and still sell the cars. Why shouldn’t they? They are under no obligation to sell the car at, above or below MSRP. They get few new cars in to sell and everyone else is marking them up so if they don’t they’re turning away money. I don’t like it, but If I were one of these dealers I would probably do the same.

They can say whatever they want, but I will never pay over MSRP. There are actually dealers which don't fleece their customers
because they want the return business in the future. Eventually this shortage will end all all of the people who bought them at inflated prices will be undewater when they try to sell them again.
Obviously dealers charging over msrp are among the group that follow that saying:
Make hay while the sun shines. They just don't care about repeat business apparently.
Besides, if all of the dealers are doing this, where else would you buy your next one,
assuming you again want a Hyundai?

Obviously dealers charging over msrp are among the group that follow that saying:
Make hay while the sun shines. They just don't care about repeat business apparently.
Besides, if all of the dealers are doing this, where else would you buy your next one,
assuming you again want a Hyundai?
It's not just Hyundai, though. I've heard reports from dealers for multiple makes. My sister had an accident and needs a new car and said most of the dealers in her area are charging a $2,000 'market adjustment.'