Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 Month Old Model S Just Rear Ended - Help on the process please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Forum,

My Model S 75 was just rear ended while my wife and I were stopped at a red light yesterday. Please see damage below; it was hit a pretty high impact probably 35-40MPH by Ford F150 Truck.

My concerns are getting "nickle and dimed" by the insurance company -

Car was also wrapped with Xpel Ultimate (funny how I was concerned about scratches and dings) - how do I get recouped for that?
There is now a diminishing value now that my new car was in an accident - Anybody have experience with that?
I've heard tesla approved body shops take a long time - up to 6 months in some cases for quarter panel repairs? Insurance companies going back/forth on labor rates? (I don't think I have the patience to be able to argue here)

Anything else I should be thinking about? I really appreciate this in advance -

I'm located in Norcal

Attachments

• IMG_Hatch.jpg
    IMG_Hatch.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 283
  • InkedIMG_0792_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_0792_LI.jpg
    495.9 KB · Views: 243
That’s a lot less damage than my rear ender. See this thread. Mine took about 3 months to repair and insurance covered it all (I have USAA, the offending driver State Farm). USAA paid for the repairs then billed State Farm. As for diminished value, go for it, but only if the car has not been in another accident. You’ll likely win a substantial sum, but I advise you go through an attorney with a proven track record with dismissed value claims (you have to pay them a third of the award if you win, nothing if your don’t). You want to document everything — time lost, expenses for ride share, etc, as loss of use and these kinds of things figure in the diminished value claim.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Pkmmte and PrGrPa
Your claim is with the other person's insurance company. Since your car is so new, they need to pay the full replacement cost for the exact same car, along with Xpel and any other mods (provide them with receipts).

If they are not willing to pay the full cost, you can lawyer up. You should also see a doctor, as sometimes whiplash and other injuries take can take days or weeks to show up. Be careful about how you answer questions about this to the insurance company, if you decide not to lawyer up.

I was rear ended about a month ago (2017 MS 75D - delivery in 12/2017). My insurance (All State) paid for everything initially and is going through subrogation to get Geico (the at-fault car's insurance) to pay them back. My insurance already refunded me my deductible. I provided my insurance with receipts for Opti-Coat and PPF. They paid for everything. I'm going to wait another month or so and run a Carfax to see if the accident shows up. Total damages, including Opti-Coat and PPF, were around $3,800. If the accident does not show up on Carfax, I may not try to go for a diminished value claim.

I was rear ended about a month ago (2017 MS 75D - delivery in 12/2017). My insurance (All State) paid for everything initially and is going through subrogation to get Geico (the at-fault car's insurance) to pay them back. My insurance already refunded me my deductible. I provided my insurance with receipts for Opti-Coat and PPF. They paid for everything. I'm going to wait another month or so and run a Carfax to see if the accident shows up. Total damages, including Opti-Coat and PPF, were around $3,800. If the accident does not show up on Carfax, I may not try to go for a diminished value claim.
Thanks to all very helpful; pine green did you go through tesla authorized shop? how long did repairs take? Do you have any pictures of your damage?

Thanks to all very helpful; pine green did you go through tesla authorized shop? how long did repairs take? Do you have any pictures of your damage?

@legend502. My accident was minor compared to yours. The guy rear ended me at about 5 to 10mph. I had a small dent on the liftgate, two indentations on the bumper, one puncture on the bumper, and they scratched up the black "diffuser" portion right below the bumper. Repairs took about 5 days once the parts came in. I took it to Brooks Motor Cars of Fremont. They are Tesla certified and only do Teslas at that location. Even though I live in San Jose, I preferred to take it to them. I dropped by their shop after I got the estimate from my insurance. They made a copy of it and I signed paperwork authorizing them to order the necessary parts. Since my car was drivable, I waited for them to get the parts in before dropping off my car. It took about 3 days for the parts to come in (rear bumper cover and black diffuser) and then another 5 to 6 days for them to do the repairs and have their detailer (OC Detailing) to do reapply the rear PPF and Opti-Coat.

Paint match is pretty spot on. I was really hesitant since every body shop that I went to when I had my Mitsubishi Evo for a quote on an aftermarket rear bumper never guaranteed a paint match with the bumper to the fenders since one is polyurethane (bumper cover) and the other surface is metal (fenders). Brooks Motors did an awesome job.

Attachments

• 20180423_133847 blocked.jpg
    20180423_133847 blocked.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 203
  • 20180423_133900.jpg
    20180423_133900.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 201
  • 20180423_133903.jpg
    20180423_133903.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 199
  • 20180423_133843.jpg
    20180423_133843.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 201
Hello Forum,

My Model S 75 was just rear ended while my wife and I were stopped at a red light yesterday. Please see damage below; it was hit a pretty high impact probably 35-40MPH by Ford F150 Truck.

My concerns are getting "nickle and dimed" by the insurance company -

Car was also wrapped with Xpel Ultimate (funny how I was concerned about scratches and dings) - how do I get recouped for that?
There is now a diminishing value now that my new car was in an accident - Anybody have experience with that?
I've heard tesla approved body shops take a long time - up to 6 months in some cases for quarter panel repairs? Insurance companies going back/forth on labor rates? (I don't think I have the patience to be able to argue here)

Anything else I should be thinking about? I really appreciate this in advance -

I'm located in Norcal
I basically had a very similar accident with XPEL too, but my damages looked worse than what I see from your photos.

1. Find an approved body shop and let them deal with the nickel and dimes. You don't have to deal with it but your insurance or the body shop might.
2. You'll need to make sure the XPEL is included in the claim. The body shop will have a cost on the claim to remove the coating and might even be able to reinstall the film or work directly with the place you had the film installed originally
3. Ask for "like kind" rental car so you can drive a Tesla while your tesla is getting repaired. Enterprise exotics has Teslas for rent in SoCal
4. Don't take your car into the body shop until they have all the parts ready for repair. That is if you can safely drive your car, waiting for the parts will minimize time without your car.
5. Diminished value is harder to get these days because many policies specifically exclude that kind of claim. Find out what company you are dealing with and ask your adjuster about a diminished value claim before paying an "expert" for an appraisal.
6. I'm sure I have more information since I've been in 2 wrecks that were my fault and had XPEL redone both times. Feel free to DM me.

I basically had a very similar accident with XPEL too, but my damages looked worse than what I see from your photos.

1. Find an approved body shop and let them deal with the nickel and dimes. You don't have to deal with it but your insurance or the body shop might.
2. You'll need to make sure the XPEL is included in the claim. The body shop will have a cost on the claim to remove the coating and might even be able to reinstall the film or work directly with the place you had the film installed originally
3. Ask for "like kind" rental car so you can drive a Tesla while your tesla is getting repaired. Enterprise exotics has Teslas for rent in SoCal
4. Don't take your car into the body shop until they have all the parts ready for repair. That is if you can safely drive your car, waiting for the parts will minimize time without your car.
5. Diminished value is harder to get these days because many policies specifically exclude that kind of claim. Find out what company you are dealing with and ask your adjuster about a diminished value claim before paying an "expert" for an appraisal.
6. I'm sure I have more information since I've been in 2 wrecks that were my fault and had XPEL redone both times. Feel free to DM me.

how would you go about asking for a "like kind" rental. Who pays for this like kind?

Yeah, Brooks was really cool. I'm totally happy with their paint match. I think it was your thread and some of the Yelp reviews that steered me away from Chilton (even though they were much more conveniently located).
To this day their manager still won’t call me back and discuss all the things that happened. Ken or something was his name. I told the Santa Clara service center to not take my car there, I would rather drive my car hood less than to go to those morons

Ahh i see i am late to this thread.... but...
If you know anyone that does get into an accident tell them:

1. Get an Attorney.
2. Get an Attorney.
3. You must get an Attorney.

Dont wait for Insurance Company to reply.
Get an Personal Injury / Accident Attorney right away.

And some Tips when you go see that Attorney.
If the receptionist is dressed in jeans... walk out and go look for another attorney.
If you get voice mail on the second attempt at the phone call, go find another attorney.

But you really need a lawyer in the state of California to help you not get nickled and dimed from insurance companies especially if its not your fault.

Also a good attorney will know your full benifits.
Remember most take a percentage of the settlement, so you can be sure they will milk the insurance company for every last cent you deserve.

Reactions: MarkKW
Usaa guy told me to buy total rider to policy in case the totaled cost wont cover replacement.
He said other company's will low ball you. The additional coverage added 20% to the pay out.
We all know the appraiser will low ball the figure. It will never cover cost of replacement
There is a S in dallas body shop for a year. The insurance wont total it. And stop paying rental.
Repair time is months if you need complete panels.