Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 Month Tesla Owner - Fed up and Done

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get what the original poster is saying.... when you're plopping down a lot of money for a new car you want to be in new car bliss for a while. Not deal with headaches. And you kind of want nice, even great(!) service at least in the beginning with the slow fade as your car gets older. For cars I've owned, here is my over all joy level in purchase and ownership for sales and service.. Mercedes, bmw, Volvo, Toyota. So far, not too sure about Tesla, I know they are different but.... my initial experiences have been so-so, so far. Car better be FAB-U-LOUS! (I am looking forward to saving money on gas though. And looking forward to feeling less guilty with my car idling (i.e. burning gas) during carpool.😬)

Reactions: Zebelkhan
(not moderation content, or representing anyone other than jjrandorin the regular poster, not jjrandorin a TMC moderator)

Personally, I think that everyones tolerance is different, and the exact RIGHT path to take if someone is super frustrated is to vote with your wallet, and move on, especially with used car values being what they are right now.

The reasons may or may not make sense to others, but that shouldnt matter. If people are frustrated, I completely get "moving on". What I dont get, frankly, is the seeming need to "announce it to the world". Perhaps thats my age (im in my mid 50s), but I dont understand a lot of peoples needs to virtually "announce" their intentions online (sometimes in multiple places).

The reason I likely dont understand is, I dont get "ranting to a bunch of strangers, online". I totally do get trying to get opinions, help, etc, but "I hate this product and im selling it!" I dont get posting about it. I DO get DOING it, I just dont get feeling a need to announce it.

/shrug.
This response seems very biased at the end. You don't understand someone "ranting to a bunch of strangers online", but then again I see tons of posts how people love there Tesla or providing other random data points without any ask of opinion. OP is still providing data points regardless. Try opening your one dimensional biased view.
I agree. Super frustrating to keep seeing these whiney posts on this forum. It would be one thing if he had multiple motor failures, tech errors, etc and had a lemon. Instead the proverbial straw that broke the camels back was someone curbing his wheel and not telling his boss afterwards. This could happen at a valet, car wash, etc.
See above comments for you too. And maybe don't look or respond and be so "whiney" yourself about these types of posts. Hypocrite.

This response seems very biased at the end. You don't understand someone "ranting to a bunch of strangers online", but then again I see tons of posts how people love there Tesla or providing other random data points without any ask of opinion. OP is still providing data points regardless. Try opening your one dimensional biased view.

See above comments for you too. And maybe don't look or respond and be so "whiney" yourself about these types of posts. Hypocrite.
Umm.. Okay. You got me. So hypocritical to call this guy's post useless and whiney, as he announces to the online world how fed up he is with his Tesla b/c the service guy curbed his wheel and he has to get a new one. Can't wait until this happens during an oil change with his next BMW or Mercedes. I guess he'll just sell that car just as he did his Tesla and then rant on their respective forum about it.

Reactions: MRuth85 and jboles
Just name me one car brand that is over $30k that you have to pickup with checklist on your hand. :)
In 2016 I bought a Mercedes C class. I had panel gaps. The taillights stuck out (one more than the other). And within one week the seats started leaking a chemical when the temperature fell below 20 degrees (because I cheaped out and bought MB's version of "Vegan Leather). Total mileage = 120 miles. They had the car for two months before they just gave up and exchanged it for another vehicle. 7 months later that vehicle's power steering cut out 2x in one month (and that was with a fix in between the first and second one where they replaced the entire steering wheel). After threatening NJ's Lemon Law, they found a solution where they bought me out of the car at a healthy premium which they applied to my next car. So I will say MB's service was much better than the car and they ultimately did right by me so would probably by a MB in the future (currently only have two BMW's). This does concern me about purchasing the Tesla and already I've seen the ordering experience to be sort of lame and annoying so I'm not sure if I will ultimately go through with my order. Also have a Rivian on order but suspect that situation will end up even worse than the Tesla as I believe there are only about 50K orders ahead of me. Despite how ugly the exterior is, I'm actually considering going the BMW IX route if they could actually get me one by summer. We will see....

I have never had any initial quality issues with our past purchases of 3 Lexus, 1 Acura MDX, Honda's and Toyota's. In 2 years if Tesla does not improve their initial quality it will pay dearly when EV buyers have more choice. Tesla has a small window to clean their house.

EVs are a different beast. The ID.4 has dozens of horror stories with the battery coolant pump and lately I'm seeing a lot more Mach-E battery issues now that is colder. i.e Cars shutting down in the middle of the road.

"Reliable EVs" won't be the norm for 5-10 years IMO. Lots of growing pains with all these new components.

So you love the car and technology but ending up going to a crappy service center where they replaced the dash but scuffed the wheel which they will replace and you're selling the car?? 🤷‍♂️
Clearly Tesla is not up to your standards. I hear great things and the asian import cars or maybe one of the superior German cars.

Reactions: solodogg
Posting to vent while I wait for Tesla Service to open. Like many of you I had a nightmare of a delivery story. You can check my previous posts, but I finally received my MYP right before thanksgiving. Even though the ordering/delivery process was a horrible experience, driving my car finally made it feel almost worth it. However, dealing with the minor items from my delivery inspection, and tesla service has completely soured my outlook on the company and the car.

I luckily had very minor items upon delivery I found. Panel gaps for the hood, and a large grease mark on my dash that would not come out. Not a huge deal, I submit my ticket, and wait a few weeks for my service appointment at the Fremont service center. Appointment date comes, they take my car, and return it 2 days later, gap addressed, but still the large grease mark on the dash. I ask what happened and the service agent says that they did not have the part in stock so they will send a mobile service agent when the part is available. Fast forward 1 week, mobile agent comes with the wrong piece of the dash, says I have to schedule a new appointment in shop as it would be too much work for a mobile agent anyways. Frustrated I write the whole story on my next service ticket, and a few weeks later I drop off my car to a very apologetic service agent that assures me everything will be done correctly and promptly.

I return to pick up my car 2 days later, and approach my vehicle to a chunk of my rim chipped and a gash in my tire lip that was not there previously on the front driver side wheel. I point it out immediately and the service agent goes wow you must have hit something. I tell them that no this was not here on drop off, and we can look at your tire inspection reports to confirm. Sure enough the tire inspection report on the invoice shows tread depth, tire pressure, and that they do not recommend any changes based on inspection. Also reads that they took my car on a verification test drive after the replacement dash to verify no loose or vibrating parts. This points in my head as where this damage would have happened. I ask the service agent how do we deal with this now as I have tire damage that I did not have before. The solution was to open another ticket, take pictures and indicate that I have not drove the car yet and it will be addressed. Pictures of damage attached.

As soon as I get resolution to this tire I am going to drive to the nearest dealership and start to shop for another car that I am going to trade my MYP for. I have been a customer since ordering in August, and I have yet to have a good interaction with Tesla. Wonderful car, great technology, but at this point I can't deal with this ecosystem anymore.

LthHE85.jpg

sA4o4Wb.jpg

H8j7NmT.jpg

iHUoRZh.jpg
Tesla won't change until more people react as you are.
However, the fanboi culture is strong, so competitive offerings are going to be required before Elon takes much note.
Tesla is looking to flood the market before competition can get a footing, and may well succeed.
No one else has a car that can be delivered in real volume any time soon, and resources are going to be stretched, further limiting what can come.

EVs are a different beast. The ID.4 has dozens of horror stories with the battery coolant pump and lately I'm seeing a lot more Mach-E battery issues now that is colder. i.e Cars shutting down in the middle of the road.

"Reliable EVs" won't be the norm for 5-10 years IMO. Lots of growing pains with all these new components.
I think we need to wait a few years for Lexus, Hyundai, Honda and others to come out with their EV's. I think there will be more competition and we will know if all of a sudden Lexus SUV's start having heat pump failing or panel gaps start appearing. If not, we will know that EV or ICE they are the same beast. I am guessing by then Tesla will be forced to focus on quality because there will be more choices for consumers and more competition. If Tesla can improve its quality, it can retain its first mover advantage. As a share holder of Tesla, I would be thrilled if they can continue to be dominant in the EV area even when competition picks up. But we need to see how the quality evolves after Austin is in steady state.

Let us know what you get.

Why do people here judge others for their decisions lol. He can do what ever he wants; his car, his money, his choices.
It is an interesting dynamic of announcing one's intention to the world. Feels trolly or condescending.

But really, he's free to do anything he wants, within the law, and he probably won't take a bath on the car in this environment. Someone who wants one will get a new car more quickly than they might, and no one's getting hurt.

Reactions: marx1 and Jbiddy
I have never had any initial quality issues with our past purchases of 3 Lexus, 1 Acura MDX, Honda's and Toyota's. In 2 years if Tesla does not improve their initial quality it will pay dearly when EV buyers have more choice. Tesla has a small window to clean their house.
I hear GM has the best initial quality based on JD Power. Maybe you’ve heard?

But don’t expect seat heaters or heated steering wheels.

I hear GM has the best initial quality based on JD Power. Maybe you’ve heard?

But don’t expect seat heaters or heated steering wheels.
Tesla has the highest satisfaction among the 27 brands surveyed by CR. Without that I would not be buying a Tesla. But in the initial quality (at delivery) Tesla did poorly. I would not touch GM with a barge pole regardless of our President saying GM leads the world in EV technology:rolleyes:

Posting to vent while I wait for Tesla Service to open. Like many of you I had a nightmare of a delivery story. You can check my previous posts, but I finally received my MYP right before thanksgiving. Even though the ordering/delivery process was a horrible experience, driving my car finally made it feel almost worth it. However, dealing with the minor items from my delivery inspection, and tesla service has completely soured my outlook on the company and the car.

I luckily had very minor items upon delivery I found. Panel gaps for the hood, and a large grease mark on my dash that would not come out. Not a huge deal, I submit my ticket, and wait a few weeks for my service appointment at the Fremont service center. Appointment date comes, they take my car, and return it 2 days later, gap addressed, but still the large grease mark on the dash. I ask what happened and the service agent says that they did not have the part in stock so they will send a mobile service agent when the part is available. Fast forward 1 week, mobile agent comes with the wrong piece of the dash, says I have to schedule a new appointment in shop as it would be too much work for a mobile agent anyways. Frustrated I write the whole story on my next service ticket, and a few weeks later I drop off my car to a very apologetic service agent that assures me everything will be done correctly and promptly.

I return to pick up my car 2 days later, and approach my vehicle to a chunk of my rim chipped and a gash in my tire lip that was not there previously on the front driver side wheel. I point it out immediately and the service agent goes wow you must have hit something. I tell them that no this was not here on drop off, and we can look at your tire inspection reports to confirm. Sure enough the tire inspection report on the invoice shows tread depth, tire pressure, and that they do not recommend any changes based on inspection. Also reads that they took my car on a verification test drive after the replacement dash to verify no loose or vibrating parts. This points in my head as where this damage would have happened. I ask the service agent how do we deal with this now as I have tire damage that I did not have before. The solution was to open another ticket, take pictures and indicate that I have not drove the car yet and it will be addressed. Pictures of damage attached.

As soon as I get resolution to this tire I am going to drive to the nearest dealership and start to shop for another car that I am going to trade my MYP for. I have been a customer since ordering in August, and I have yet to have a good interaction with Tesla. Wonderful car, great technology, but at this point I can't deal with this ecosystem anymore.

LthHE85.jpg

sA4o4Wb.jpg

H8j7NmT.jpg

iHUoRZh.jpg
Bye.

Reactions: Charliek and jboles
Just because a checklist exists doesn’t mean people have to use it. Keyword here is “have to.” I have personally never used a checklist for any other car.
Sounds like mental gymnastics to me. Why would people make something like a checklist. If there was no need for it?

That's literally the reason for it's existence. Our upcoming MYP delivery this month will be our fourth Tesla. Not once have I brought a checklist when taking delivery.

Reactions: Zebelkhan
Taking a quick 20 second video of your washed car on the premises before walking away seems like the best thing to avoid disagreements.
Anyway, if OP sells in anger, he will be making a few grand because of the car's insane popularity. A bit of irony there.

I agree with op. For the amount of money they want for these cars they should be immaculate period and the customer service should be top notch. There’s no debate. Couple the poor quality control with their poor sales center experiences and it’s a recipe for disaster. Maybe if more people reacted like this guy maybe all of these issues would go away but folks are just so elated that they have a Tesla that they are willing to put up with their poor poor quality and customer service. And I don’t think op came here to announce his departure from the brand but to vent about his experiences and frustrations and everyone just jumped on him. Hold them to a higher standard and things will get better, guaranteed.

Reactions: Brendazzle