Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 Month Tesla Owner - Fed up and Done

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Set your vehicle to a 90 percent state of charge limitation using Hilltop Reserve mode (for 2017-2018 model years) or Target Charge Level (for 2019-2022 model years) mode. Instructions on how to do this are available in the videos below. If you unable to successfully make these changes, or do not feel comfortable making these changes, GM is asking you to visit your dealer to have these adjustments completed.
  1. Charge your vehicle more frequently and avoid depleting their battery below approximately 70 miles (113 kilometers) of remaining range, where possible.
  2. Park your vehicle outside immediately after charging and do not leave your vehicle charging indoors overnight."
This seems like something pretty serious. Do you believe Chevy themselves are asking their customers to follow these rules for no good reason? Everything's fine, right?
Those were the interim steps given prior to those either receiving a software update (issued first for '19 Bolts ~Nov 19, 2021 and then available for all Bolts around Dec 21, 2021 OR a replacement pack. See Chevy Bolt EV & EUV Recall | Chevrolet under software update.

The software update caps charging at 80% and allows people to drain down to 0, park inside while charging and afterward. See https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RMISC-21V560-2475.pdf and https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RMISC-21V650-5463.pdf.

Once the pack is replaced w/these new packs, the 80% limiter is removed and there are no more limitations.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Listen - if you want to believe that most Bolts are FINE and they will continue being made, and despite Chevy's own dire instructions to park them outside and be super careful after charging because they might catch fire but it's all completely ok.... go there.
So far, MOST Bolts ARE FINE. Whether they will continue to be made is unclear. It could be discontinued soon. There are certainly plenty of rumblings about that.

The bolded part applies to Bolts without either a replaced pack (manufactured after Sept 2021) OR for whatever reason, have chosen not to have 80% temp limiter patch applied. For the former, one's VIN may not be eligible for a replacement pack yet. Almost all '20 to '22 Bolt drivers are in the boat now and the best they can do while waiting is get the 80% temp limiter patch.

> N212345940: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLQRT-21V650-9333.PDF

52 thousand bad cars. 40 of which are "remedied". Do you READ your own material?
I do. N212345940 is for '20 to '22 Bolts.

N212343880 is for '17 to '19 Bolts.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLQRT-21V560-9386.PDF

It will take awhile for enough packs to be manufactured to replace packs in all the Bolts. Assuming the dealer has the parts, GM lets dealers book 4.5 to 5.5 hours of labor. Some recalls have taken years to get thru all the affected customers. There's also a certain % of people who for whatever reason do not get their recall repairs done. Search Recalled but Unrepaired Cars Are a Safety Risk to Consumers | Edmunds for percent.

GM has also said at GM to restart limited Bolt production to make loaner cars for owners with recalls
"“We are prioritizing customers based on their charging behavior and the dates on which their batteries were produced," Flores said."

BTW, rather than rewrite everything, search Selling 2017 Leaf SV to buy 2017 Chevy Bolt - My Nissan Leaf Forum for risk re: why it seems like '20 to '22 Bolts have such a low completion rate and how we've heard of virtually 0 people folks w/'20 to '22 Bolts who have become eligible.

Last edited:
Those were the interim steps given prior to those either receiving a software update (issued first for '19 Bolts ~Nov 19, 2021 and then available for all Bolts around Dec 21, 2021 OR a replacement pack. See Chevy Bolt EV & EUV Recall | Chevrolet under software update.

The software update caps charging at 80% and allows people to drain down to 0, park inside while charging and afterward. See https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RMISC-21V560-2475.pdf and https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RMISC-21V650-5463.pdf.

Once the pack is replaced w/these new packs, the 80% limiter is removed and there are no more limitations.

You seem very upset, as I quote your own sources.

Relax. OK fine - the Bolt is a huge success, people should ignore GM's own advice and keep driving them without any concerns, there are no problems despite just 40 out of 52,000 being fixed, the new batteries are perfectly fine, and GM will keep selling them despite end-of-life being widely publicized...

Sorry for upsetting you and pointing to detailed articles on a problem you want to prove doesn't exist.

I'll be driving my Tesla, and you can buy and drive as many Bolts as you want (wait, you sold yours, right?)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: cwerdna
You seem very upset, as I quote your own sources.

Relax. OK fine - the Bolt is a huge success, people should ignore GM's own advice and keep driving them without any concerns, there are no problems despite just 40 our of 52,000 being fixed, the new batteries are perfectly fine, and GM will keep selling them despite end-of-life being widely publicized...

Sorry for upsetting you and pointing to detailed articles on a problem you want to prove doesn't exist.

I'll be driving my Tesla, and you can buy and drive as many Bolts as you want (wait, you sold yours, right?)
Why should people ignore GM's advice? They have not given any that they must not be driven. All Bolts are eligible for an 80% temp limiter patch that (from Chevy Bolt EV & EUV Recall | Chevrolet)
that will allow owners to remove the parking and overnight charging limitations on their vehicles while we work on building replacement battery modules.

The new software automatically sets the vehicle’s maximum state of charge to 80%, allowing owners to safely resume:
  • charging indoors overnight;
  • operating below 70 miles (113 km) of range, resulting in greater overall vehicle range compared to GM’s prior interim charging guidance; and
  • parking indoors after charging.
This software is not the final recall remedy and owners will be notified when battery modules are available for replacement.
I had that applied to my Bolt for almost 2 months.
For another bit of perspective: Every single Chevy Bolt ever sold has been recalled and must not be driven because Chevy doesn't even have a solution to the battery fire problem yet.
And, it is untrue that there is no solution. This has been untrue for several months.

40 out of 52,414 covers '20 to '22 Bolts.
8,272 out of https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLQRT-21V560-9386.PDF out of 57,414 covers '17 to '19 Bolts.

I posted these at Recall Quarterly Report 2021-3. If you follow the recall numbers and associated docs, you will understand the separation N212343880 (for '17 to '19) vs. N212345940 (for '20 to '22).

So, as of that quarterly report date 8,312 in the US have been remedied. I can't speak to rest of world.

A trusted EV dealer tech has regular communications w/a GM corporate parts person and as of a few weeks ago, we've been told 19,000 packs have been sent out, so far. This is probably worldwide.

Yes, I sold back my Bolt and the amount was good enough that it I actually got a slight profit due to them not deducting for the tax credit I claimed (they probably can't deduct it by CA lemon law). So, I got to drive a car for free for 3 years.

I have no issue with you saying facts that a true (e.g. all Bolts have been recalled). I have an issue with you saying completely UNTRUE info numerous times (such as what I just quoted) and doubling down on it.

Why should people ignore GM's advice? They have not given any that they must not be driven.
"
  1. Charge your vehicle more frequently and avoid depleting their battery below approximately 70 miles (113 kilometers) of remaining range, where possible.
  2. Park your vehicle outside immediately after charging and do not leave your vehicle charging indoors overnight."
I said "drive them without any concerns". The above appear to be CONCERNS from the manufacturer.

I'm sorry you're so upset. I'm sorry there's a huge formal recall on every single Bolt ever produced. I'm sorry your own sources show that MOST Bolts have not been fixed, and in fact very few have any cure at all. I'm sorry that the only thing your own GM PR material shows is that a few cars are hopefully being made so that owners of recalled cars maybe can have a loaner...

By all means, if you believe in the Bolt, go get the one you sold back, buy lots more, and see what happens.

I'll be driving a Tesla. Let's compare results in 6 months.

Since my daring to say that all bolts have been recalled is causing you so much trauma, I'll not post further on the topic. Good luck out there.

• Funny
I said "drive them without any concerns". The above appear to be CONCERNS from the manufacturer.

I'm sorry you're so upset. I'm sorry there's a huge formal recall on every single Bolt ever produced. I'm sorry your own sources show that MOST Bolts have not been fixed, and in fact very few have any cure at all. I'm sorry that the only thing your own GM PR material shows is that a few cars are hopefully being made so that owners of recalled cars maybe can have a loaner...
The above advice is ONLY for people who have either NOT received a replacement pack OR have not gotten the 80% temp limiter installed.

It is true that MOST Bolts have not gotten their packs replaced and thus a final remedy. However, GM has maintained all along that they estimate only 1% of the vehicles have the defect. See page 1 of https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLRPT-21V650-2919.PDF and https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLRPT-21V560-5475.PDF.

As for the italicized part, Bolt production still has not resumed. Orion plant went online briefly in Nov 2021 to produce those "courtesy vehicles". The weird part is that now some people in middle of buyback are being offered to swap into one of those cars. Two example threads below

The above bolded portion is VERY outdated information.

Chevrolet Bolt EV Battery Production Resumes is dated Sept 20, 2021.

When Chevybolt.org goes back up, see See Battery replacement recall remedy tracking summary and Recall Quarterly Report 2021-3. The recall ending in 880 is for '17 to '19 Bolts. Ending in 940 is for '20 to '22. These are the numbers of Bolts in the US which have had their packs replaced due to the battery recall.

You can look under associated docs for each of Fire recalls summary and timeline - Updated 12/21/21 for more docs.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCSB-21V560-5618.pdf is the current repair procedure for '17 to '19 Bolts. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCSB-21V650-4040.pdf is for '20 to '22.

Again, BOTH parts of the portion I bolded are totally untrue. The must not be driven portion has never been true for any existing drivers and customers.

I didn't say it wasn't serious, but keep in mind about 20 out of ~140K Bolt are known to have caught fire from battery defects --> ~0.014%

GM's $2 billion Chevy Bolt fire recall casts shadow over electric vehicle market
says "Still, the coverage of EV fires may be overblown, said Sam
Abuelsamid, lead auto analyst for Guidehouse Insights. Seven Chevy
Bolts have caught fire, or about 0.006 percent of those on the road.
By comparison, the National Fire Protection Association said 212,000
gas and diesel vehicles caught fire in 2018, or about 0.07 percent of
those on U.S. roads."

(His # of Bolts that caught fire is too low.)

Page 3 of https://www.nfpa.org/-/media/Files/...nd-reports/US-Fire-Problem/osvehiclefires.pdf
talks about 212,500 vehicle fires in the US in 2018 and 290,000,000
registered vehicles in the US. That's where the 0.07% comes from.
WOW
Mondays must be really difficult for you.
Can you be any more argumentative? Really? Picking nits today?

• Disagree
WOW
Mondays must be really difficult for you.
Can you be any more argumentative? Really? Picking nits today?
I've already summed it up. ZenRockGarden posted false info over and over, as well as info that has been outdated for months. What if I said Tesla recalled 500,000 vehicles and to not drive them because they have no solution yet? The last two parts are totally false. He then doubled down by posting more info that is false.

I have an issue with false and horribly outdated info. Perhaps you don't? For example, you claimed "Toyota has yet to make an EV", yet I pointed to multiple pure EV models including one (the gen 1 Rav4 EV) that was produced years before Tesla's founding. I've seen them in person numerous times and talked to some of their drivers. One of them pointed out to me the "service prug" it has that Spare Leaf NAV/Head Unit $1,842 - My Nissan Leaf Forum refers to. Yes, that's what the printed label actually said.

I mentioned "service prug" twice here:
Every single Chevy Bolt ever sold has been recalled and must not be driven because Chevy doesn't even have a solution to the battery fire problem yet.
Part 1 is true. Part 2 is which I bolded is false. GM has NOT given that as general advice to existing Bolt customers, drivers, owners, or lessees as it relates to the infamous battery recall. The last part has been false since at Sept 20, 2021 (Chevrolet Bolt EV Battery Production Resumes).

GM did in Nov 2020 originally only recall Korean made battery Bolts (all '17 and '18 + subset of '19) thinking that the defect(s) that could lead to fires were confined to Korean made packs. And, they claimed a "final remedy" with dealer diagnostics and more on-board diagnostics (described at Bolt EV Battery Cell Inspection – TechLink) was the solution (i.e. they could detect the bad batteries via software). This was end of April 2021/May 2021. Although it definitely flagged some packs or modules as bad, at least one Bolt w/the "final remedy" caught fire. And, later it was discovered that the defects were also found outside the Ochang, South Korea plant, hence General Motors to Recall Additional Bolt EVs (aka all of them).

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RMISC-21V560-8766.pdf is a summary of some of the above and I pointed to it at Fire recalls summary and timeline - Updated 12/21/21.

And again, during none of that period between Nov 2020 and now did GM tell people that their Bolts "must not be driven".

OK, so you feel it's no big deal. I have specifically referenced detailed info that every single Bolt has been recalled, and no solution is in place, exactly as I explained.
"The total recall now numbers 141,000 electric vehicles over six model years, every Bolt the company has built since sales began in December 2016. No schedules have been given for any cell replacements."
The above is also totally false as of Sept 20, 2021. The solution eventually became to replace the packs and it's been going on since Oct 2021. Between the recall expansion and Sept 20, 2021 there was scrambling and an apparent battle between GM and LG (e.g. GM 'not confident' LG Chem will build defect-free Bolt batteries, followed by 'GM quality metrics' implemented at LG to speed fix for Bolt battery fires).

They claim to have resolved that. If you look at the type of communications NHTSA asks of automakers when it comes to recall remedies (and what the automaker sends back has a ton of confidential info and is mostly n/a to the public or heavily redacted), I'm sure they have to explain in detail. Look under 2019 CHEVROLET BOLT EV 5 HB FWD | NHTSA, for example. There are currently 7 associated documents.
no problems despite just 40 out of 52,000 being fixed
The above is again false since there are two recall populations.

N212343880: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLQRT-21V560-9386.PDF <-- model years '17 to '19
N212345940: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLQRT-21V650-9333.PDF <-- model years '20 to '22

That's 8,312 remedied out of 109,828 US Bolts. i can't speak to outside the US.

If you really care to, drill down at Fire recalls summary and timeline - Updated 12/21/21 for each model year then expand campaign 21V560000. There you will see N212343880 vs. N212345940.

You can see these in the 573 reports:
N212343880 for '17 to '19 https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLRPT-21V560-5475.PDF
N212345940 for '20 to '22 https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLRPT-21V650-4541.PDF

And then in post 67, he posts info that is correct for people who have either NOT received a replacement pack OR got the 80% temp limiter patch applied by their dealer. But, the patch has been available for ALL Bolts since Dec 21, 2021. It was first available for '19 Bolts on ~Nov 19, 2021. I had it applied to my former Bolt on 12/1/2021. And over 8300 US Bolts have received replacement packs and do not have to follow such guidance.
(There are some Bolt drivers w/o a replacement packs who are refusing to follow the guidance AND refusing to get the 80% temp limiter patch installed.)

And, as I said, as of the quarterly reports submitted by GM to NHTSA, over 8300 in the US have been remedied. I know of numerous Canadian Bolts that have gotten new packs but they're not counted by NHTSA since NHTSA is a US agency. Transport Canada probably tracks their data.

All that said, time will tell whether these new packs being installed as replacements are an effective remedy and can get the fire rate down to nil or nearly nil given normal customer usage patterns including charging to 100% and discharging as low as the car will allow. If not, GM will have another huge mess on its hands. That's been discussed a bunch on chevybolt.org. Some people don't trust GM/LG and thus have that as a reason for requesting buyback.

Last edited:
I've already summed it up. ZenRockGarden posted false info over and over, as well as info that has been outdated for months. What if I said Tesla recalled 500,000 vehicles and to not drive them because they have no solution yet? The last two parts are totally false. He then doubled down by posting more info that is false.

I have an issue with false and horribly outdated info. Perhaps you don't? For example, you claimed "Toyota has yet to make an EV", yet I pointed to multiple pure EV models including one (the gen 1 Rav4 EV) that was produced years before Tesla's founding. I've seen them in person numerous times and talked to some of their drivers. One of them pointed out to me the "service prug" it has that Spare Leaf NAV/Head Unit $1,842 - My Nissan Leaf Forum refers to. Yes, that's what the printed label actually said.

I mentioned "service prug" twice here:

Part 1 is true. Part 2 is which I bolded is false. GM has NOT given that as general advice to existing Bolt customers, drivers, owners, or lessees as it relates to the infamous battery recall. The last part has been false since at Sept 20, 2021 (Chevrolet Bolt EV Battery Production Resumes).

GM did in Nov 2020 originally only recall Korean made battery Bolts (all '17 and '18 + subset of '19) thinking that the defect(s) that could lead to fires were confined to Korean made packs. And, they claimed a "final remedy" with dealer diagnostics and more on-board diagnostics (described at Bolt EV Battery Cell Inspection – TechLink) was the solution (i.e. they could detect the bad batteries via software). This was end of April 2021/May 2021. Although it definitely flagged some packs or modules as bad, at least one Bolt w/the "final remedy" caught fire. And, later it was discovered that the defects were also found outside the Ochang, South Korea plant, hence General Motors to Recall Additional Bolt EVs (aka all of them).

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RMISC-21V560-8766.pdf is a summary of some of the above and I pointed to it at Fire recalls summary and timeline - Updated 12/21/21.

And again, during none of that period between Nov 2020 and now did GM tell people that their Bolts "must not be driven".

The above is also totally false as of Sept 20, 2021. The solution eventually became to replace the packs and it's been going on since Oct 2021. Between the recall expansion and Sept 20, 2021 there was scrambling and an apparent battle between GM and LG (e.g. GM 'not confident' LG Chem will build defect-free Bolt batteries, followed by 'GM quality metrics' implemented at LG to speed fix for Bolt battery fires).

They claim to have resolved that. If you look at the type of communications NHTSA asks of automakers when it comes to recall remedies (and what the automaker sends back has a ton of confidential info and is mostly n/a to the public or heavily redacted), I'm sure they have to explain in detail. Look under 2019 CHEVROLET BOLT EV 5 HB FWD | NHTSA, for example. There are currently 7 associated documents.

The above is again false since there are two recall populations.

N212343880: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLQRT-21V560-9386.PDF <-- model years '17 to '19
N212345940: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLQRT-21V650-9333.PDF <-- model years '20 to '22

That's 8,312 remedied out of 109,828 US Bolts. i can't speak to outside the US.

If you really care to, drill down at Fire recalls summary and timeline - Updated 12/21/21 for each model year then expand campaign 21V560000. There you will see N212343880 vs. N212345940.

You can see these in the 573 reports:
N212343880 for '17 to '19 https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLRPT-21V560-5475.PDF
N212345940 for '20 to '22 https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2021/RCLRPT-21V650-4541.PDF

And then in post 67, he posts info that is correct for people who have either NOT received a replacement pack OR got the 80% temp limiter patch applied by their dealer. But, the patch has been available for ALL Bolts since Dec 21, 2021. It was first available for '19 Bolts on ~Nov 19, 2021. I had it applied to my former Bolt on 12/1/2021. And over 8300 US Bolts have received replacement packs and do not have to follow such guidance.
(There are some Bolt drivers w/o a replacement packs who are refusing to follow the guidance AND refusing to get the 80% temp limiter patch installed.)

And, as I said, as of the quarterly reports submitted by GM to NHTSA, over 8300 in the US have been remedied. I know of numerous Canadian Bolts that have gotten new packs but they're not counted by NHTSA since NHTSA is a US agency. Transport Canada probably tracks their data.

All that said, time will tell whether these new packs being installed as replacements are an effective remedy and can get the fire rate down to nil or nearly nil given normal customer usage patterns including charging to 100% and discharging as low as the car will allow. If not, GM will have another huge mess on its hands. That's been discussed a bunch on chevybolt.org. Some people don't trust GM/LG and thus have that as a reason for requesting buyback.
Obsession confirmed. Thanks for your honesty.
I'm OUT
:)

• Funny
I totally agree with you. I love the car but telephone service is terrible. I tried to sell the car at Carmax a week after delivery because could not get answers to questions. It took them 2 weeks for them to tell me how to open the glove box.