Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 Part question regarding Dual Motor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR single motor. Both my spouse and I are conservative drivers, have our driving mode set to "chill" and still find the Model 3 to have plenty of "juice/accelration" when needed.

My son is interested in the Model Y and I am doing a little research for him. A Model Y would be a kid hauler.
Questions:
1) Tesla is currently only producing the Dual Motor AWD model at this time?

2) What is the advantage to ordering a Dual Motor Model Y?

If it's "Performance". As in what vs. the Single Motor?

We have a 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR single motor. Both my spouse and I are conservative drivers, have our driving mode set to "chill" and still find the Model 3 to have plenty of "juice/accelration" when needed.

My son is interested in the Model Y and I am doing a little research for him. A Model Y would be a kid hauler.
Questions:
1) Tesla is currently only producing the Dual Motor AWD model at this time?

2) What is the advantage to ordering a Dual Motor Model Y?

If it's "Performance". As in what vs. the Single Motor?

1) Yes?

2) Two motors?

All-wheel-drive can be nice on some surfaces. I'm guessing street driving in southern California doesn't provide many of those opportunities :D

Yes it has more power, but two motors can be more efficient with regen so you get a bit more range. Or at least that was the case with the Model S a few years ago.

Also, if one of them fails ... you have another one! Pretty sure I've read stories where people had one motor fail and the car was able to be driven to a service station.

Really if all they plan to do is commute, get groceries, take kids to events, etc, there's nothing much appealing for a powerful all-wheel-drive performance compact crossover. But with the Model Y you don't have the choice of a single-motor rear-wheel-drive. I'm not sure they will ever produce that. There's a pretty steady stream of orders for what they're already making.

Reactions: OldPro