TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

2 perfect CPOs which one do you pick?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Cooksomerice, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Cooksomerice

Cooksomerice Member

2014 S 85 kw 20K miles

2014 S 60 kw 4K miles

Same color, same finishes and options and very close in price.

Which do you care more about?

Low mileage

OR

Larger battery

Which do you choose and why?

2. Cooksomerice

Cooksomerice Member

Sorry for the duplicate thread
    I will contact mod to remove

3. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

Larger battery, I've had lots of times where my 85 was barely enough, and a few times where it wasn't enough. Much perfer that over lower miles.

Check VINs too though, there were a number of significant changes made in 2014, I'd perfer a late build car to an early.

• Like x 1
  4. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

I would recommend the 85

5. Cooksomerice

Cooksomerice Member

What will the VIN tell you ?

6. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

The VIN can tell you roughly when it was built. Tesla made lots of changes in 2014, some of them obvious like AP, and some stealth changes like to the seats. VIN45k works out to roughly 6/2014 VIN 62k is 10/2014 (when AP hit).

• Like x 1
  7. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

85 will be faster

8. Boourns

Boourns Member

Given the way Tesla's CPO warranty works -- 4 years 50k miles from when you take delivery -- mileage becomes nearly irrelevant. Get the 85.

• Like x 3
  9. phaduman

phaduman Member

Yes 85 has my vote. Range anxiety - while not an issue on any Tesla today - every few extra miles (the new green) on your dashboard - will keep you looking younger.

• Like x 2
  10. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

I'd definitely take the 85.

Not only does it have more range, and the car will be quicker as davidc pointed out, but it will also add x miles by Supercharger quicker, and the larger battery should last longer. In fact the 85 will include an unlimited-mile battery warranty until 2022, whereas the 60 will only have 125k warranty. (I believe they have changed this for newer cars, but I think that is what will apply to 2014 cars).

• Like x 3
  11. glhs272

glhs272 Unnamed plug faced villian

Without question, the S85. The few miles of difference is meaningless. The battery is much more important. This is coming from an S60 owner with 84K miles.

• Like x 2
  12. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

Another 85 vote.

• Like x 1
  13. democappy

democappy Member

Throwing one more 85 vote on the pile. I can't imagine turning down that much extra battery for what I view as a fairly minor mileage increase. I drive a 60 and only really need a 60, but even in my situation it feels crazy to not choose the 85 at the same price.

14. Gig103

Gig103 Member

Definitely the larger battery/range. If buying CPO, you get a 4y/50k warranty on both, so the 20,000 wouldn't concern me. In fact my on-order has 40k miles already.

15. BBB4000

BBB4000 Member

Having test driven both the 60 and the 85, I would highly recommend the 85 on drive and range. You won't regret it.

• Like x 1
  16. Cooksomerice

Cooksomerice Member

Update:

Last Friday I came across a 2016 S70 (2200 miles) on evo-cpo.com.
    I never flinched because it has AP 1.0 vs all others in my price range did not.

So, now I have another question for you.

Do I drop an additional 3K to unlock the battery to give me another 5Kw?

17. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

I wouldn't. You may be able to charge the 70 to 100% without detriment vs 75. That would mean your daily range is the same, and you only miss out on the 5 for a long trip. But I am not sure of anyone verified that with the software locked 70s.

18. Gig103

Gig103 Member

I'm not sure we can answer that without knowing your driving habits. What's your commute? How big is the supercharging network in Louisiana? Do you plan to road trip often? Remember that the battery prefers to be at a mid-to-low state of charge (SOC), rather than at the top.

I recommend you visit EV Trip Planner and try a few sample routes with the different sized batteries. I know that if I had a lower range battery, my trips from Phoenix to Vegas would be a large detour because of the spacing of Superchargers; as is I can stop just twice instead of three times on the more direct route.

19. Cooksomerice

Cooksomerice Member

I routinely have a 90 mile round trip(RT,
    a 80 mile RT and a 240mile RT.

There is no charging options on the two shorter commutes. They are rural routes with no charge options along the route.

For the longer route of 240 miles, there is a TSC at my destination (Shreveport).

20. Cooksomerice

Cooksomerice Member

I plan to leave home with a 'full tank' and top off at the TSC in Shreveport, either as I arrive or on as I prepare to leave.

Can you give me a link or guidance to find discussion on SOC and ideal charging range as you mentioned above?