Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 perfect CPOs which one do you pick?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Larger battery, I've had lots of times where my 85 was barely enough, and a few times where it wasn't enough. Much perfer that over lower miles.

Check VINs too though, there were a number of significant changes made in 2014, I'd perfer a late build car to an early.

Reactions: Cooksomerice
I'd definitely take the 85.

Not only does it have more range, and the car will be quicker as davidc pointed out, but it will also add x miles by Supercharger quicker, and the larger battery should last longer. In fact the 85 will include an unlimited-mile battery warranty until 2022, whereas the 60 will only have 125k warranty. (I believe they have changed this for newer cars, but I think that is what will apply to 2014 cars).

2014 S 85 kw 20K miles

2014 S 60 kw 4K miles

Same color, same finishes and options and very close in price.

Which do you care more about?

Low mileage

OR

Larger battery

Which do you choose and why?

Without question, the S85. The few miles of difference is meaningless. The battery is much more important. This is coming from an S60 owner with 84K miles.

Throwing one more 85 vote on the pile. I can't imagine turning down that much extra battery for what I view as a fairly minor mileage increase. I drive a 60 and only really need a 60, but even in my situation it feels crazy to not choose the 85 at the same price.

Update:

Last Friday I came across a 2016 S70 (2200 miles) on evo-cpo.com.
I never flinched because it has AP 1.0 vs all others in my price range did not.

So, now I have another question for you.

Do I drop an additional 3K to unlock the battery to give me another 5Kw?

Update:

I wouldn't. You may be able to charge the 70 to 100% without detriment vs 75. That would mean your daily range is the same, and you only miss out on the 5 for a long trip. But I am not sure of anyone verified that with the software locked 70s.

Update:

I'm not sure we can answer that without knowing your driving habits. What's your commute? How big is the supercharging network in Louisiana? Do you plan to road trip often? Remember that the battery prefers to be at a mid-to-low state of charge (SOC), rather than at the top.

I recommend you visit EV Trip Planner and try a few sample routes with the different sized batteries. I know that if I had a lower range battery, my trips from Phoenix to Vegas would be a large detour because of the spacing of Superchargers; as is I can stop just twice instead of three times on the more direct route.

I'm not sure we can answer that without knowing your driving habits. What's your commute? How big is the supercharging network in Louisiana? Do you plan to road trip often? Remember that the battery prefers to be at a mid-to-low state of charge (SOC), rather than at the top.

I recommend you visit EV Trip Planner and try a few sample routes with the different sized batteries. I know that if I had a lower range battery, my trips from Phoenix to Vegas would be a large detour because of the spacing of Superchargers; as is I can stop just twice instead of three times on the more direct route.

I routinely have a 90 mile round trip(RT,
a 80 mile RT and a 240mile RT.

There is no charging options on the two shorter commutes. They are rural routes with no charge options along the route.

For the longer route of 240 miles, there is a TSC at my destination (Shreveport).

I plan to leave home with a 'full tank' and top off at the TSC in Shreveport, either as I arrive or on as I prepare to leave.

Can you give me a link or guidance to find discussion on SOC and ideal charging range as you mentioned above?