Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 permanent magnet motors in the new LR refresh, source of the higher performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but to me this is big news. This is mentioned on page 212 of the owner's manual.

The previous S had a permanent magnet motor at front, and induction at the rear.

Also I noticed the drive ratios are now 7.558:1 and 9.034:1, compared to 9.325:1 and 9.734:1 in the previous model.

All this might explain the better pull of the refresh LR at higher speed. The drive ratio especially could explain the relatively "slow" 0-60 times, for the benefit of better pull above 60mph.

Comments anyone?

• Informative
Reactions: PhaseWhite
Adding to my previous post, if we assume the old S was peaking at 70mph, and assuming the motors are the same (which is not necessarily true), then doing a rule of 3 with the new ratio would give around 86mph for the peak power.

I guess once we get dyno runs, etc, we'll get a clearer picture. But the new S is definitely on my shorlist to replace my aging S75D.

That's pretty interesting. I thought the front was the only permanent magnet motor like they had in the raven. I wonder how they're dealing with torque ripple?

Maybe all 3 motors can mask this?

There aren't 3 motors in the LR. Launches are not as hard as previous gen Performance in the new LR (and specs as 3.1 to 60 confirm this), therefore torque ripple is a non-issue. They just moved peak power towards the top end and I think they've struck the balance everyone was wanting.

That said - Some dyno graphs and CANbus readings would offer some welcome data points into the discussion for both the LR and Plaid. And cross comparisons to previous gen S and current 3. Overall though, it's atleast one positive change to see some of the power moved towards the top end.

Reactions: brkaus and hroussel
LR or Plaid, 2 or 3 motors, Tesla appears to have ditched induction. Here is the snippet from the manual:

1625596154790.png

I can't imagine plaid's instantaneous power being less than that of its predecessors. I don't think they would be able to get 0-60 times down to 2 seconds otherwise which makes me wonder how they dealt with the torque ripple.

LR or Plaid, 2 or 3 motors, Tesla appears to have ditched induction. Here is the snippet from the manual:

View attachment 681929

I can't imagine plaid's instantaneous power being less than that of its predecessors. I don't think they would be able to get 0-60 times down to 2 seconds otherwise which makes me wonder how they dealt with the torque ripple.

I would imagine by adding the 3rd motor, they can distribute and modulate the power load between them better and thus mitigate the amount of torque ripple of each individual motor, thus enabling the harder acceleration. Or if that is not enough, then perhaps the torque ripple of one motor can be counter-acted by the other to balance it out? Or maybe it's a combination of things. I'm not an expert on this by any means but it would make sense to me if it was effectively solved somehow in this manner. I would love to see what the guy from Engineering Explained thinks how Tesla might have figured this out.

Last edited: