Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2-piece Roof Sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Get the one piece from Tesmanian and use 4 ea. magnets spaced in a square pattern over the highest point (mine are 18" or so apart). No sag left to speak of. If you already have a one piece shade you can just order 4 ea. of the magnets from Tesmanian.
I’ve got both a one-piece and a two-piece, and trying to decide which one to keep.

Can you explain/describe how the magnets work? Where and how do they attach? The Tesmanian website doesn’t explain or illustrate how the magnets work. I assume adhesive is involved, which makes me wonder whether the adhesive will hold up over time.

I’ve got both a one-piece and a two-piece, and trying to decide which one to keep.

Can you explain/describe how the magnets work? Where and how do they attach? The Tesmanian website doesn’t explain or illustrate how the magnets work. I assume adhesive is involved, which makes me wonder whether the adhesive will hold up over time.
A small metal disc with adhesive sticks to the glass then you attach the magnets after installing the shade - it’s easy and effective. I’ve had mine for almost 2 years now and no issues.

Reactions: JLOC
I only have the 2-piece and it looks fine to me, one of my kids didn't even notice we installed it until a week or so later.

It doesn't look any worse that those 2 part sunroofs some of these bigger cars have.

The reason I didn't go with the one piece with magnets is I didn't want to stick anything to the glass roof... and if I remove the shade, those small discs are still there. The other is the versatility of either having a front shade, back shade or both.

I'm actually surprised at how solid a product it is, I don't hear any additional noise and like my kid demonstrated, it's not really noticeable.

I only have the 2-piece and it looks fine to me, one of my kids didn't even notice we installed it until a week or so later.

It doesn't look any worse that those 2 part sunroofs some of these bigger cars have.

The reason I didn't go with the one piece with magnets is I didn't want to stick anything to the glass roof... and if I remove the shade, those small discs are still there. The other is the versatility of either having a front shade, back shade or both.

I'm actually surprised at how solid a product it is, I don't hear any additional noise and like my kid demonstrated, it's not really noticeable.
Just to follow up on this. I tried both the one-piece and two-piece this weekend, and came to the conclusion the two-piece is the far superior product, primarily because of the sag. I also like how I have the flexibility to only have one shade up, if I so chose.

And like @BigNerd, I don't want to stick anything to the glass roof.

I just placed an order on Ali Express for a similar version of the two piece but with a light grey color and a reflective top.

Once I receive it and install it, I'll provide a review of it here.
The issue with AE is the difficulty in returning something but there's a money back guarantee and from past experience, I haven't had too many issues. I'm likely looking at mid to late May before I receive it due to the ongoing global logistic issues but I could not find a similar version on Amazon or eBay. I already have a two piece version with the black fabric but the version I have runs the length of the car instead of the width. It doesn't sag as much as the one piece version but there's still a sag and I didn't like the black fabric. It seems such a drastic change from the openness of the glass roof. I'm hoping the light grey is an improvement and will make the cabin brighter.
My shades arrived a couple of weeks ago and I installed them. Product description and photos indicate they have labels for the front and back but mine did not have the labels. The tag is there but no lettering. It's pretty self explanatory because the front and back pieces have different shapes. It comes with a separate reflective cover you attached with built in velcro tabs to the topside. The reflective part faces the top. I do wished, they had just built/ sewn it in. Each section comes with 6 clips. You place 2 clips on three sides. For the rear piece, the back and sides and the front two clips in the front and two for each side. Total of 12 clips in all. Depending on how tight they installed side liners, will pretty much define how tight the clips will be inserted.

Overall from the photos below the fit was pretty good along all the edges. You can see there is minimal droop in the center where the two pieces come together. At first I was worried that the joint would let in daylight but it does not and it fits fairly snug together. I did overlap the reflective fabric above, so that helped. The light grey fabric matches the headliner fairly well and I prefer this to the black sunshades I originally had. IO contemplated using a white velcro strip for the center joint but didn't need to do so.

All in all, a good sunshade for the price. I had no issues. Delivery from China took awhile. I ordered in early April and it arrived end of April. It was not in a box but a plastic bag envelope thing. Basically no protection but there was no damage. The product page says I was supposed to get two free rear window triangular shades but it was not included. I don't really care because I was more interested in the sun shades. It's working well and keeps the car cooler than when I have just the glass roof exposed. I do have tinted driver, passenger windows and the windscreen (70% ceramic) but I also use a reflective windscreen sun shade. I don't feel like I'm stepping into a sauna on a hot day under the sun. I do not use the climate control when the car is parked and unoccupied, so this sun shade works for me. I rather not have to use energy no matter how minimal, if I don't need to.

As others noted, none of my family members realized I had installed this till I pointed it out to them. The previous black sun shades, they complained about and felt it was oppressive and took away from the glass roof. Partly because of the sagging. I found it funny they didn't even notice this shade.

Attachments

• 20220509_173133.jpg
    20220509_173133.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 318
  • 20220509_173144.jpg
    20220509_173144.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 236
  • 20220509_173200.jpg
    20220509_173200.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 262
Amazon has the same unit (2 piece with reflective covers) for about $36. I noticed differences between the 2 piece unit that come with the reflective cover and ones that don't come with it.
They have different material for the shade itself. the one with reflective has cloth like material and the one without the reflective cover has more traditional plastic mesh type material.
Cloth like material one is more heavier than the plastic mesh one, and it is very thin and very stretch. I don't think it can last as long as the plastic one and it might sag more than the plastic mesh one.
So, I mix matched with plastic mesh shade with the reflective covers. The problem is that the velcro on the reflective covers do not stick to the plastic mesh, so I had to sew pieces of velcro soft side on the plastic mesh shade to get the proper "stick" between the two.

Hmm... I probably would have got that one with covers... I must have missed it when I was Amazoning. I only saw the one-piece with the cover and I wanted the 2-piece one.

Searching now and I see one but it's $51 not $36. :(

Hmm... I probably would have got that one with covers... I must have missed it when I was Amazoning. I only saw the one-piece with the cover and I wanted the 2-piece one.

Searching now and I see one but it's $51 not $36. :(
Yes, it is.

Installed this yesterday. The material is pretty good. It's slightly wider than the roof glass so when you put it into the brackets, the tension makes it warp slightly down (wish it warps up to hug the glass). As a result, there is about an inch of space, in the middle, between the glass and the shade, which is okay. It's not sagging, but rather tension-caused curving.

The creases from the packaging seem to have smoothed out in 24 hours. It's very dark. I can only make out the sky and trees barely. In the summer I'm good with that. I'll remove it for the winter so I can look up at the sky without staring into a hot sun.

Yes, it is.

That link says $48 for me. Canadian? :)

It's interesting because the two piece with covers one doesn't have a different clip to link the middle portion.

Gah. Too bad I didn't see this sooner. Finally watched the video for this one, seems to be a gap between the two pieces,

@gleearch seems to have a different version that has white clips... less visible gap.
Yes, mine comes with 12 white/ semi translucent clips. The fit between the two panels where they come together is fairly good with no visible gaps and no light coming through. As someone else pointed out, I think they are made by one or more manufacturers using similar designs. They tend to start out on Aliexpress and migrate over to Amazon. They are all made in China, and there are numerous accessories for Teslas because it's one of the best selling cars there. Quality is going to vary greatly. I searched multiple listings until I found one that met all my criteria (I don't bother with their product reviews because they tend to not be useful). A white or light grey fabric/ mesh, two piece, more clips (based on my previous sunshade experience), a reflective top if available, a reasonable price, free return and a manufacturer that appears to want to back up their product (this is going to be hit or miss).
I did complain to the seller that the free rear sunshades for the triangular windows were not included and they have given me a tracking number for a set they just mailed. I know people are hesitant to use Aliexpress but I find that if a product isn't up to snuff and I complain, I almost always get a refund and most times do not need to return the product, which would be a hassle trying to ship it back to China. That said, I only buy certain things through aliexpress- archery gear/ equipment and limited Tesla accessories that are not available on Amazon.

I did find in my inbox today a newer sunshade that is a two piece retractable system. Part of me wished I had seen it earlier but they keep developing new stuff. No idea how good or how well it will hold up. It's first generation so likely to have issues. I'm only posting for reference. I did not and likely will not buy it, since what I have works and I already have another sunshade sitting in my garage that it replaced. The link is below.

If someone does try it, I would like to know how it goes. That might change my mind.

Reactions: BigNerd
Be very careful when you buy anything from Chinese website, such as Alibaba or Aliexpress. My credit card got hacked twice using those websites. First time, I thought it was just coincident, but I got hacked again second time using the same credit card with different credit card nubmers, expiration, security code, etc.
After that, I never use those Chinese website.

Just received the same set that @BigNerd originally posted about. Definitely no sag and the frame is pretty rigid and fits pretty tight, so much in fact that I had trouble with the center edge clips that hold both the front and rear pieces together. I had to use more force than I was comfortable with and feared the clips would scratch the trim pieces. Everything held together so well that I didn’t even need the two side clips for the front half. I secretly installed the screens and will see how long it takes for the rest of the family to notice.

Today is a high of 90 degrees but I haven’t driven anywhere yet. Tomorrow is another hot day so hoping to notice a difference with these screens.

I have the reflective two piece from Heat Shield. I think it's also sold on Amazon. It was great the first year but I've yet to put it up yet. I usually keep it in the entire summer as my MY is parked outside daily in at least partial-day direct overhead afternoon sun... it does not sag but uses suction cups.

C2580A9D-1372-4A88-89C6-ECB76AA9EAC9.jpeg

This is a good product, not sure it’s head-and-shoulders above anyone else but It’s a brand I’ve used for over a decade (previously only for the windshield sun screen) and they’re very responsive. They’ve sent me additional suction cups and also Velcro tie so they can be used separately. Very reflective on the opposite side.

View attachment 804620
This is a good product, not sure it’s head-and-shoulders above anyone else but It’s a brand I’ve used for over a decade (previously only for the windshield sun screen) and they’re very responsive. They’ve sent me additional suction cups and also Velcro tie so they can be used separately. Very reflective on the opposite side.
Probably works well but I don’t like the look.

Definitely not the look you want to see in the $60k-$70k vehicle.

Reactions: ShelJW