Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2-piece Roof Sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed, that just doesn't look so good unless it's only used for when you are parked. I am waiting for someone to make a product that attaches to the far back of the roof glass and rolls out to the front when needed. You then release it and it rolls back into place when you want the view while driving.

Agreed, that just doesn't look so good unless it's only used for when you are parked. I am waiting for someone to make a product that attaches to the far back of the roof glass and rolls out to the front when needed. You then release it and it rolls back into place when you want the view while driving.

What should happen is Tesla finally adds a power shade like other EVs have. :)

You'd have to get a new MY but I'm never in a car for more than 4 years anyways.

Reactions: Cavity
Agreed, this is my use case for the most part. It is not good looking but it is very effective.

Seems like Covercraft could come up with a rigid or rigid-ish sun protector that could fit into the roof with clips. Would probably be more effective if it didn't sit right on the class and maintained an air pocket between the glass. Good image of the product in this post:
I purchased a Covercraft UVS100 Custom Silver Sunscreen for my 2020 Model Y Performance and it fits perfectly requiring no suction cups or flimsy screen that sags. It folds up flat and you can purchase the optional storage bag which I did. https://www.covercraft.com/us/en

View attachment 675337

Installed the following 2-piece sunshade that @BigNerd and others posted about and took the Y out today. It definitely made a difference. Drove 96 miles today taking kid to school, swim, and running other errands and averaged 227 Wh/m. Temps started out at 64 degrees in the morning and peaked at 84. Car felt noticeably cooler especially my bald head. Usually I have AC set to 70 to feel sufficient cooling but today I was able to set it to 72 and at one point felt it was getting too cool and adjusted it to 74!

The AC didn’t have to work as hard with the sunshade, nor as loud, and clearly is reflected in the lower Wh/m average today. Under similar conditions, but without the roof sunshade, my Wh/m average is about 15-20 higher.

I tinted the roof on our Model S but didn’t like losing the clarity and brightness of the glass roof. I skipped tinting the roof on the Y after seeing video of the great IR heat rejection, stock. Glad that the sunshade is removable to restore the glass roof look during cooler months, plus the sunshade costs 10x less than tinting the roof.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09PB4JBTS?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

Last edited:
@Itsuo-DC

I think the 2-piece shade with the covers would look better than your reflective one.

I mean, I know yours is functional... but it's really noticeable... even my oblivious kids would see it. :)
I definitely prefer the 2-piece mesh over completely blocking out the glass roof. The mesh version provides relief from the sun while also preserving the open air feeling of the cabin.

Although I installed the sunshade a couple of days ago we didn’t go anywhere over the weekend, so today was the first day family has been in the Y besides me. My wife hasn’t noticed the sunshade yet and my daughter noticed it in the afternoon (but made no mention of it on the morning drive to school).

Next couple of days are forecasted between 91-98 degrees so I’m looking forward to seeing how well the sunshades deal with the extra heat.

Reactions: Itsuo-DC
@Itsuo-DC

I think the 2-piece shade with the covers would look better than your reflective one.

I mean, I know yours is functional... but it's really noticeable... even my oblivious kids would see it. :)

You have a point, I don't disagree with the consensus on the aesthetics. 🥺

I think I said it before but my use-case is that the car is street parked outside year round and--in the summer--it gets all day overhead sun for most of the day. I used to have a light car cover for my white M3 bc I don't drive it very much during the week but when we got the MY, I decided it is too large/unwieldy for one person/cover.

I usually take out the front roof/sun cover if I'm going to drive it for anything--and just leave the back cover in over the dogs in the back seat. This way no one is really seeing it and I still get the visibility/atmosphere of the front removed, etc. It is true other solutions exist to accomplish this with a more agreeable appearance.

In the end I have learned that even with all of these on the inside of the car, it still gets very hot under prolonged direct sun (perhaps that should have been obvious from the onset?). So I am not sure of the utility of it any more. Maybe the internal (white) surfaces do not absorb additional heat gain so when we plan to drive it, the vehicle cools quicker?

I would too.

Thinking about buying a 2nd pair but I can save that money for some other Y accessory, like those rear storage bin covers.
Those rear storage bins are great! Pricey for what they are but I don’t even think about the cost anymore as the bins are high quality, have been extremely useful, and the flush top covers keep everything nice and flat in the cargo area.

Those rear storage bins are great! Pricey for what they are but I don’t even think about the cost anymore as the bins are high quality, have been extremely useful, and the flush top covers keep everything nice and flat in the cargo area.
Which ones did you get? I couldn't find a good set so for now I just got the dividers that keeps stuff from falling into them... they actually work pretty well and now we put taller stuff in there so it's okay.

These are what I got:

Which ones did you get? I couldn't find a good set so for now I just got the dividers that keeps stuff from falling into them... they actually work pretty well and now we put taller stuff in there so it's okay.

These are what I got:

I bought the Tesla ones. I stuff all sorts of emergency/cleaning items in one and the other can store things I don’t want breaking/spilling, such as gallon of milk or glass bottles drinks. With the covers atop it also serves as a convenient side cubby and the lip of the Tesmanian cargo mat prevents things like watermelon from rolling out.

I considered the dividers at first but prefer to have a flat cargo area and the covers offer “hidden” storage unbeknownst to non-Tesla owners.

We have had the 2-piece sunshade for almost two weeks and it has definitely made a difference. I am bald and haven’t noticed any heat on my head and have been consistently averaging lower Wh/m despite hotter weather.

Today it was 102 degrees and my wife, on her own, said “the AC is working too well today” and she increased her side from 72 degrees to 73 and directed the airflow away. She still hasn’t noticed the sunshade above her head and I just kept my mouth shut.

Keep in mind earlier in the Spring we usually kept AC at 70 degrees and sometimes 68 degrees to feel comfortable. Amazing that the sunshade reduces AC use by a good 3-5 degrees and at noticeably lower fan speeds. Not only are we more comfortable but efficiency also improved!

DCAB6BE3-8B56-4751-A253-18046B70AE72.jpeg

My shades arrived a couple of weeks ago and I installed them. Product description and photos indicate they have labels for the front and back but mine did not have the labels. The tag is there but no lettering. It's pretty self explanatory because the front and back pieces have different shapes. It comes with a separate reflective cover you attached with built in velcro tabs to the topside. The reflective part faces the top. I do wished, they had just built/ sewn it in. Each section comes with 6 clips. You place 2 clips on three sides. For the rear piece, the back and sides and the front two clips in the front and two for each side. Total of 12 clips in all. Depending on how tight they installed side liners, will pretty much define how tight the clips will be inserted.

Thanks for sharing so much detail. Are you still liking their performance? And do you have any insights to offer on how easy they come off and go back on? I have the same criteria - reflective, light colored. Gun shy to order from aliexpress. Before pulling the trigger, thought I'd see if you have anything else to report.

Installed the following 2-piece sunshade that @BigNerd and others posted about and took the Y out today. It definitely made a difference. Drove 96 miles today taking kid to school, swim, and running other errands and averaged 227 Wh/m. Temps started out at 64 degrees in the morning and peaked at 84. Car felt noticeably cooler especially my bald head. Usually I have AC set to 70 to feel sufficient cooling but today I was able to set it to 72 and at one point felt it was getting too cool and adjusted it to 74!

The AC didn’t have to work as hard with the sunshade, nor as loud, and clearly is reflected in the lower Wh/m average today. Under similar conditions, but without the roof sunshade, my Wh/m average is about 15-20 higher.

I tinted the roof on our Model S but didn’t like losing the clarity and brightness of the glass roof. I skipped tinting the roof on the Y after seeing video of the great IR heat rejection, stock. Glad that the sunshade is removable to restore the glass roof look during cooler months, plus the sunshade costs 10x less than tinting the roof.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09PB4JBTS?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image
Just ordered the same. Thanks for the recommendation.

Yes, I'm fairly happy with their performance considering we had a heatwave over the weekend with temperatures over 100 degrees and my car was parked out in the sun as we ran some chores. The car did not get as hot as when I did not use the shades or when I had the black roof shades. Simple physics, black absorbs heat. I have removed the shades only once and it wasn't a big deal and was easy enough to reinstall. I still wished they had sewn the separate reflective farbic to the sunshade.

As for ordering from Aliexpress. I don't have an issue and have ordered Tesla accessories before they became available on Amazon on other Tesla accessory resellers. I also order bicycle and archery accessories through AE. I know some people are leery of buying through that portal or just have anti-China feelings but to each their own. Do what you are comfortable doing. I do a fair bit of research and check reviews before buying from any vendor on AE. Once I find one that's done right by me, I tend to use them again. I have not bothered to try other portals like Banggood, Tmall etc. Where a product wasn't up to snuff, I have complained to the vendor and usually received a full refund and in most cases, did not need to return the product, especially for smaller items. This particular vendor noted free returns. I did write an email in the included customer satisfaction and request for a review print out which was in the package, when I realized they had forgotten to include the two small triangular window sunshades. They did send them under separate package and I received and installed them. Nothing special but they fit the shape.
Where I ran into a problem with a non-responsive vendor, I complained directly to AE and received a full refund.
One thing to bear in mind is that eventually the product will come to Amazon at around the same or slightly higher price. Or you'll see RPM or similar reseller carry it or something similar. They all source from the same manufacturers. I use Paypal for my transactions and do not provide my cc and if a cc is needed, I use one of those virtual ones.