Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2-piece Roof Sunshade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this is the one I got:

Tesla Model Y Roof Sunshade Panoramic Sunroof Sunshade 2020-2022 Tesla Model Y Accessories(Set of Two)
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09PB4JBTS/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_XHC0PJXRRG21XH5FQEJ0

Just put it in today. At first just did the front one but then but the back piece in later.

I was careful when unfolding it based on the poster who said they broke theirs.

2 clips In the front, 1 on each side for the front piece and it was pretty stable. Same with the rear, 2 in the back 1 on each side and then the middle connector clip on each side to join the two pieces.

Looks good, easy to install and just In time for the hot days we have been having in SoCal.
How your 2-pc roof shade?

1650587139883.png

Don't know if this helps but this is the installation.

As you can see it's still see through and doesn't sag in the middle.

It's really some solid engineering.

To those who own a 2-pc shade already, are you able to install just a half piece - just the backside, for example. I don’t think anyone markets their roof shade as such. Sometimes you may not necessarily want the shade over your head if it isn’t that sunny yet while keeping the shade for passengers or things on the back. Thanks for feedbacks.

When you take down the shade, say for the winter season, do you also need to remove the anchor pieces or can you leave them there? Anyone who recommended something can answer.

I've always wanted a retractable shade with a small footprint when rolled up, but so far haven't found any that doesn't sag (per reviews).

When you take down the shade, say for the winter season, do you also need to remove the anchor pieces or can you leave them there? Anyone who recommended something can answer.

I've always wanted a retractable shade with a small footprint when rolled up, but so far haven't found any that doesn't sag (per reviews).
I would think you'd have to remove the plastic clips/anchors, as the only thing keeping those clips/anchors in place is the sunshade itself. Once you remove the sunshade, those clips would fall right off.

Reactions: mangrove79
I would think you'd have to remove the plastic clips/anchors, as the only thing keeping those clips/anchors in place is the sunshade itself. Once you remove the sunshade, those clips would fall right off.
That's what I imagined, but just wanted to confirm. I know it doesn't take much to install or remove them, but just sounds like a hassle if you need to do that regularly.

Reactions: JLOC
To those who own a 2-pc shade already, are you able to install just a half piece - just the backside, for example. I don’t think anyone markets their roof shade as such. Sometimes you may not necessarily want the shade over your head if it isn’t that sunny yet while keeping the shade for passengers or things on the back. Thanks for feedbacks.
The middle clip is designed so that the front and rear pieces both slide into it. The fit was pretty snug but I think without both front/rear pieces in place to keep each other in place, the front or back clips would just fall out when braking/accelerating if you tried to just use half of the shade...

That's what I imagined, but just wanted to confirm. I know it doesn't take much to install or remove them, but just sounds like a hassle if you need to do that regularly.
The set I purchased came with a storage bag but like you mentioned, I agree that it would be a hassle to put up and take down regularly. My plan is to just leave it permanently up. As mentioned, the clips will just fall out so you might be looking for missing clips that fell out during take down!

I just installed the front half for a while and it was fine. I imagine it’s the same for the rear half.

The clips are very easy to install so I would remove them if you remove the shades. The one I ordered came with a box to store the clips.

The wrinkles should go away after the shades have been installed for a few days.

Too bad Tesla couldn’t do a retractable shade like in other EVs.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Serious question, but do people prefer the one-piece or two-piece design? I installed a two-piece sunshade last night, and noticed that the shade still doesn't lay flush against the glass, i.e. there's still a little bit of space or sag between the shade and the glass (although not as much as a one-piece).

In addition, in my opinion, the two-piece sunshade is not as elegant-looking due to the presence of the seam where the two pieces meet. Further, maybe it was user error, but I thought installing the two-piece was more difficult than the one-piece (trying to line up the two pieces correctly so there is no overlap, and trying to connect the two pieces).

On the other hand, the sag on a one-piece sunshade...

Last edited:
Serious question, but do people prefer the one-piece or two-piece design? I installed a two-piece sunshade last night, and noticed that the shade still doesn't lay flush against the glass, i.e. there's still a little bit of space or sag between the shade and the glass (although not as much as a one-piece).

In addition, in my opinion, the two-piece sunshade is not as elegant-looking due to the presence of the seam where the two pieces meet. Further, maybe it was user error, but I thought installing the two-piece was more difficult than the one-piece (trying to line up the two pieces correctly so there is no overlap, and trying to connect the two pieces).

On the other hand, the sag on a one-piece sunshade...
Get the one piece from Tesmanian and use 4 ea. magnets spaced in a square pattern over the highest point (mine are 18" or so apart). No sag left to speak of. If you already have a one piece shade you can just order 4 ea. of the magnets from Tesmanian.