Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 PowerWall 2.0, 40 P17 345wH panels, Fronius 15kW inverter, DIY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am collecting the materials for a home solar, Tesla PowerWall backup set up that should cover the majority of our home's power requirements.

I have 2 PowerWall 2.0's, 40 SunPower P17 345w panels that will sit on EcoFoot 2+ racking.

I do not have a string inverter but am favoring The Fronius single phase 15kW unit.
I do not have a PV quick disconnect but am favoring the Fronius Quad.

I will have a 300' DC home run from the stables to inside the garage where the Inverter and PowerWalls will live. I will install the panels in their racks, run the cable from PV to garage, mount the PowerWalls and accessory panels, but do none of the hookup wiring. We also have a destination charger to be installed for our Tesla S 85.

I purchased the PowerWalls on eBay. Tesla has reached out to me for transfer of ownership. I will have about 9 years of warranty.

05C5A9C0-EA6F-40EE-8B1F-1EE59EEC59F0.jpeg

It is a challenge to find a Tesla qualified firm in New Mexico interested in performing the final wiring and commissioning. Is a Tesla Certified installer required to maintain the warranty? Or could any licensed electrician complete the job. Anyone have an experience to share?

Hope to be done by the end of the year to take advantage of the tax credit.

New to the forum, thanks for existing.

Unfortunately, I haven’t heard of anyone DIY’ing a Powerwall install. But its awesome that you are trying this! Also great to hear that Tesla hasn’t stood in your way, so far.

Keep us updated as things progress!

As I have been frustrated at the lack of call-back from official vendors, I reread the warranty paperwork. It appears it only needs to be installed (per local regs) and commissioned and then reported back to Tesla for the warranty to be in place. I just took down the corral at our stable and cleared the brush in anticipation of the solar install. Part will go on the stable flat roof and the remainder on the ground.
working out the DC homerun of 320' to the garage. Have to rent a rancher to bury the cables.
Photo shows the unimproved solar install area. I'll post again when I have the panels up.

Attachments

• IMG_0477.jpeg
    IMG_0477.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 73
Reactions: Odiemac
My install has been slowed by lots of new-to-us house chores (toilets, wiring, evaporative cooking rehab, window replacement, road rehabilitation, storm water "guidance," tree planting....).

To support the PowerWalls I have installed 40 245w SunPower solar panels, a Fronius 15K inverter, Fronius Quattro DC shutoff... I have yet to trench the 250' front he stables to the garage. I purchased cable to carry the DC from the solar panels (2 600v lines), a 120v communication line, a replacement 120v line to the stables, and CAT 6 cable for WIFI/computer. I picked up the solar panels in Arizona and they are installed.
Solar Stable overhead.jpeg

As a parallel to this install, I am converting all our propane devices (floor boiler, water heater) to electric. To accomplish this I had to install a sub panel from the main electrical panel which had no room for expansion.
IMG_9745.JPG
Can't have a party to lift them up, so I devised a series of 3 pulleys to make the weight manageable.

I'll post again soon on the progress.

Be well.