Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 Powerwalls: Switching from stacked to side-by-side install. What to do about the hole they already drilled on the face of the rear Powerwall?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The installers installed two Powerwalls in my garage in stacked configuration, which required drilling a hole on the front metal cover of the 2nd Powerwall that is currently sitting behind the 1st Powerwall. The hole is several inches wide in diameter.

Due to permitting issues, they are now thinking of moving the Powerwalls outside and mounting them side by side. I don't want to see a Powerwall with a big hole in the front (not to mention I don't want rain water going inside the Powerwall). The installers say they're looking into replacing the white metal cover, but they don't seem to really know. Has anyone switched from stacked configuration to side-by-side installation? If so, what did you do about the hole?

I hope so. I just couldn't find any info about someone doing that online.
It also wouldn't surprise me if they put a temporary cover over hole to get things done (assuming that will pass inspection) and find yourself waiting for a replacement cover. I've read about people swapping covers (e.g. someone had a mix of red and white Powerwalls). The installer arranged to replace the white ones with signature red to make for a very spectacular looking install. So there are precedents for replacing the cover. It's also a relatively easily damaged part. I would expect them to stock spares.

Reactions: notsure11
The installers installed two Powerwalls in my garage in stacked configuration, which required drilling a hole on the front metal cover of the 2nd Powerwall that is currently sitting behind the 1st Powerwall. The hole is several inches wide in diameter.

Due to permitting issues, they are now thinking of moving the Powerwalls outside and mounting them side by side. I don't want to see a Powerwall with a big hole in the front (not to mention I don't want rain water going inside the Powerwall). The installers say they're looking into replacing the white metal cover, but they don't seem to really know. Has anyone switched from stacked configuration to side-by-side installation? If so, what did you do about the hole?
Seems easier to me that they just keep the one with a hole, and use it next time they are stacking them.

Nothing is going to nicely cover that hole, so you definitely want them to fix it.

In the interim, you might want something like these to keep mice, wasps and other unwanted guests out;
https://www.amazon.com/Sigma-Electric-ProConnex-Knockout-1-Inch/dp/B002YED5FM/
They come in different sizes, so measure, and then look up what the size is. A 1" knockout actually is for a 1.375" hole.

All the best,

BG