Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 PWs coming where should be mount them

Install powerwalls on?

• Wall

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Floor

Votes: 16 53.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well my installation really looks rough in comparison! My excuses are: the walls are about 900 years old, far from vertical and bonded with soft lime mortar. The only way I could get anything roughly straight was to attach them to 4x2s dropped from the roof joists. The second stack of PWs even had to have packers under one end just to keep them level. No fancy conduit just basic SWA.
...still it functions
20200115_112723.jpg
109_5f7e3b8bfc05f71d8ad6688949ce259f_t.jpg

Well my installation really looks rough in comparison! My excuses are: the walls are about 900 years old, far from vertical and bonded with soft lime mortar. The only way I could get anything roughly straight was to attach them to 4x2s dropped from the roof joists. The second stack of PWs even had to have packers under one end just to keep them level. No fancy conduit just basic SWA.
...still it functions
View attachment 515173 View attachment 515170

Your equipment in UK looks so different from our here in the US. So assuming in the last photo that's the Gateway 2? Much smaller.

Here's a better picture of our 4 PowerWalls in the garage with the rest of the equipment on the other side of the wall outside. We specifically asked the installers to avoid having any exposed conduit inside the garage - and they were able to make that work.

Under the two breaker panels to the right of the PowerWalls, the installers added a 14-50 outlet connected to the PowerWalls, which we'll be able to use if we're off grid (after a hurricane).

20200225_082004_resized.jpg

We have 2 powerwalls being installed in a couple of weeks in the garage. Should we mount them on the garage wall or floor?
We put ours on the floor at the recommendation of the installers. That's a lot of weight to hang on the wall (about 400# each). Ours are also 3 and 4 deep. We designed a niche in the garage for future batteries when we built the house. Garbage cans go there, too. All the panels except the battery breaker panels are outside. More than usual due to the numbers and locations of PV installations.
20191213_16;00;48 IMG_6037.JPG
20191230_16;56;54 IMG_6073 NEW PANELS ANNOTATED.jpg

We put ours on the floor at the recommendation of the installers. That's a lot of weight to hang on the wall (about 400# each). Ours are also 3 and 4 deep. We designed a niche in the garage for future batteries when we built the house. Garbage cans go there, too. All the panels except the battery breaker panels are outside. More than usual due to the numbers and locations of PV installations.View attachment 515389 View attachment 515390

250 lbs each, not 400lbs.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default.../Powerwall 2_AC_Datasheet_en_northamerica.pdf

We have 2 powerwalls being installed in a couple of weeks in the garage. Should we mount them on the garage wall or floor?

Given your situation, I’d agree with pouring a concrete foundation so the curb doesn’t interfere with the dual PW install and then doing a floor mount against the wall. This will give you about 4 inches of clearance from the floor in case of water or mud intrusion. You also might be able to have anchor bolts cast in the concrete depending on how the base mounts. Probably most important, you won’t be depending on your garage studs bearing all the static weight of the batteries plus any additional stresses (you’re N.Cal, didn’t mention seismic, but still...). Plus the garage seismic anchor bolt code calculations didn’t include 500 pounds of battery so it’s best not to depend on them if you do get any shaking or uplift forces.

I have a 1929 2-story house with a basement near Pasadena, CA. It’s hot outside in summer so I wanted the batteries in the cool of the basement. My first choice would have been floor mount for stability and future stacking. But I decided on wall mount due to water pipe/water heater/flooding concerns. The 3/4” plywood panels are mounted on 2x6 pressure treated lumber and secured to the wall with 1/2” epoxied seismic retrofit bolts. Tesla used lag bolts for the battery mount, screwing through both plywood and 2x6s. The sub-panel shown was wired with most of the 120v loads. The emergency disconnect switch box is outside with the panels carrying the 240v loads, remaining 120v loads, and (for now) grid tied PV.
88D08B0F-1C70-4C0D-9B76-2619EDB2B5CA.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Does anyone here run PowerWalls without solar?

I do because I wanted to use my PW for load shifting (charging from the grid Off-Peak, discharging On-Peak). To get the federal tax credit you can only charge from PV. By not charging from PV I’m also eligible for a rebate from California’s SGIP program (confirmed and I’m waiting on the check). I did install 2 grid-tie PV panels last year so I could wrap them into my 2019 electrical upgrade costs and claim the Federal tax credit for that portion.

I do because I wanted to use my PW for load shifting (charging from the grid Off-Peak, discharging On-Peak). To get the federal tax credit you can only charge from PV. By not charging from PV I’m also eligible for a rebate from California’s SGIP program (confirmed and I’m waiting on the check). I did install 2 grid-tie PV panels last year so I could wrap them into my 2019 electrical upgrade costs and claim the Federal tax credit for that portion.
Thank you!