Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 Questions: forcing Version 10? Sentry mode visualization on screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course service people can trigger it, because one of the first things they will do if you have some software issue is re trigger your software update.

Also, if they have to repair/replace any computer module or component in your car in for a repair, they'll force an FW update which will synchronize all sub-component FW levels.

A few years ago, Tesla created geofences around all their service centers, so whenever ANY car simply drove into the geofence, the system would check their current FW version and trigger an FW download if needed, automatically. (The actual update would still have to be triggered manually). That instantly caused everyone to start driving to, or just driving by the service centers to get their FW updates triggered. That lasted about two weeks until Tesla shut that down.

You can keep searching for things to do, but as long as you:

1. Have your car on wifi at home
Again, this not required to get the notification. It is mostly required to be connected to WiFi to get the DL but even then, some have received the updates without WiFi.

I don't have WiFi to my car at home. When I get the notice of an update, I enable hot spot on my phone and then connect the car to the hotspot.

In case anyone isn't aware how to do this.
  1. Enable personal hot spot on your phone. On an iPhone, it is one of the first settings. Keep this window open as you will need the PW
  2. With your car in gear (either D or R) BUT NOT IN MOTION, tap the LTE bars at the top of you screen. Turn on WiFi. In my car, it wants me to me to enter a network: I just close the window.
  3. Tap the LTE icon again and select your phone. You will need to enter the PW from your phone. Give it a few seconds and it will connect.

From your first post, Tesla already told you twice to wait...

Website chat told me to take a hike, service center told me they “can’t” update the software

You just happened to find a sympathetic service manager who decided on his own to push an update, which isn't their SOP. They generally do not push updates by request, because they would be inundated with update requests. You just got lucky this time.

Reactions: jjrandorin
From your first post, Tesla already told you twice to wait...

You just happened to find a sympathetic service manager who decided on his own to push an update, which isn't their SOP. They generally do not push updates by request, because they would be inundated with update requests. You just got lucky this time.

the first center I referenced is where I took delivery

That doesn’t negate my point. Everyone is saying it doesn’t happen. It’s impossible. Wait your turn. Shut up and be patient

Of course that’s BS. They have to be able to push it if they want to especially if they are triaging issues during service. There is a software update option when you request an appointment ! Why else would it be there

All I’m saying is it’s possible. Don’t tell people it’s not possible. If people have a good contact at their facility , and they know they can call them for a nudge to push an update to their car, why lie to people and tell them not to?

it’s ridiculous to buy a brand new car and it’s stuck on a build from 10 updates ago. That’s insane. Telling someone to be patient when they are spending top dollar for a high end car and to be happy missing features just because you’re currently enjoying them is silly. They should push updates for special cases like that and stop being so disgustingly rigid ,
Just like they were with my constant false
Delivery dates

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Knightshade
More elitist attitude. We get it. You’ve owned the car longer than I have so you’re better than me

It doesn’t change the fact that they have the simple ability to do something to please a customer and choose to take the posture not to. Plus, you don’t know the problems I went through with Tesla just to get my car from them. That compounded with this is what causes my frustration towards them

the car is an amazing product. Their service and demeanor is dogshit. But I know it’s heresy to say that around here. If you can push a button to please a customer and shut them up after blowing 60k, just do it.

More elitist attitude. We get it. You’ve owned the car longer than I have so you’re better than me

It doesn’t change the fact that they have the simple ability to do something to please a customer and choose to take the posture not to. Plus, you don’t know the problems I went through with Tesla just to get my car from them. That compounded with this is what causes my frustration towards them

the car is an amazing product. Their service and demeanor is dogshit. But I know it’s heresy to say that around here. If you can push a button to please a customer and shut them up after blowing 60k, just do it.

I’m on day 3 of owership. I haven’t done anything and the update ( a update ) just started. Not sure the version yet. It’s like Christmas again!! What version did you get

thanks for that heads-up. I did get the update yesterday so I am up to speed.

that tip makes sense -- you can do something similar. when you actually get the update. when the 2 minute warning comes up, you can tap the screen repeatedly on the count down clock and it will bring it instantly to zero (so you can effectively skip the waiting period)

I will definitely try that trick next time

Reactions: navt
@Luso7 - have you tried going to to software update screen in the car? Every time you do, the car will check for an up.

Also, I know this feels like the most important thing in the world right now - we get it. But you will get it. You also better get used to it. All cars do not receive their updates on the same day. It takes a few days to a few weeks when Tesla releases a new build for it to get to everyone. If you're gonna freak out every time, you're going to have a stressful ownership experience, because the _instant_ you get an update there will be a few cars reporting the NEXT update.