Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 rattles & 1 creak in my interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mr X

Jan 18, 2013
1 AU
1. My front right passenger door speaker grill rattles during certain songs with bass. I put some 3M foam in between the speaker grill but it still rattles. It's been rattling for awhile now but haven't bothered to take it in just for that

2. Newly discovered, my front right passenger door open button rattles just as loud as the speaker grill during certain songs with bass! Was wondering where this sound was coming from. Surprised this little button is causing all this

3. There is a creaking sound every time I accelerate or let off the pedal. Sounds pretty much like an old rocking chair. It's coming from the back somewhere. And I don't hear it on the outside, only from inside

With all 3 of these things should I schedule for a mobile service or would it be best to take it in because of the creak?

Take it in for the creak. I've been dealing with creaking/popping for a while now on top of clicking as well. Accelerating and/or turning at slow speeds. Third SC visit is delayed due to Tesla denying road tests with their current COVID regulations.

1. My front right passenger door speaker grill rattles during certain songs with bass. I put some 3M foam in between the speaker grill but it still rattles. It's been rattling for awhile now but haven't bothered to take it in just for that

2. Newly discovered, my front right passenger door open button rattles just as loud as the speaker grill during certain songs with bass! Was wondering where this sound was coming from. Surprised this little button is causing all this

3. There is a creaking sound every time I accelerate or let off the pedal. Sounds pretty much like an old rocking chair. It's coming from the back somewhere. And I don't hear it on the outside, only from inside

With all 3 of these things should I schedule for a mobile service or would it be best to take it in because of the creak?

I was told that they only cover "rattles" under warranty in the very beginning of the ownership period, so are you expecting them to do the "rattles" for free? If they do, please let me know so I can go back to my service center with that information.

Rattles are covered for first year of ownership and 12k mi. I am approaching that and they initially were denying my SC appointments due to covid-19 but have recently allowed me to describe the conditions that cause them over text and keep my appointment.

They didn't get everything (of course) without me specifically pointing them out on a ride along but I did notice my car had 70+ additional miles on it when I picked it up so I at least know they drove it around a bit. A mobile tech told me that sometimes the service techs drive it on their commute home as these sounds sometimes don't show up for 10-20 minutes and are intermittent and that's the best way to do it.

Rattles are covered for first year of ownership and 12k mi. I am approaching that and they initially were denying my SC appointments due to covid-19 but have recently allowed me to describe the conditions that cause them over text and keep my appointment.

They didn't get everything (of course) without me specifically pointing them out on a ride along but I did notice my car had 70+ additional miles on it when I picked it up so I at least know they drove it around a bit. A mobile tech told me that sometimes the service techs drive it on their commute home as these sounds sometimes don't show up for 10-20 minutes and are intermittent and that's the best way to do it.

Makes sense, I didnt know what the time frame was. My car is older than 12 months /12k miles.

I do get the sense that different SC have a different level of strictness around this rule. I've been to 3 different ones and some ask the mileage right away to get out of it while others say "they'll take a look" as a way to remain non-committal. I would be mad if I ever paid their bs diagnosis chargers because I always give them all the details of what causes the rattle and they have only fixed the multiple sounds I've had about 30% of the time.

Tip: Mobile service seems more willing to look at these things if they're already at your place for some other service item. You can just say hey I have this other thing if that is something quick to address and they usually will. Not guaranteed but at least you have the chance to make a personal appeal to them

ONLY 2 rattles and 1 creak? Sounds like a win to me.

These cars develop and exhibit all kinds of NVH and resonant frequency induced rattles, creaks, etc as a result of a. exposure to cold b. exposure to heat c. material age/fatique and d.mileage put on across the horrendous US and world infrastructure.

Seriously, Tesla and/or any other manufacturer should dump their generic regulation approved test sites or supplement them with a year's worth of generic US metro driving.

Wishful thinking, pipe dream.

Reactions: Mr X and PNWLeccy
Take it in for the creak. I've been dealing with creaking/popping for a while now on top of clicking as well. Accelerating and/or turning at slow speeds. Third SC visit is delayed due to Tesla denying road tests with their current COVID regulations.

Ya the rattles can probably be fixed by a mobile tech but the creak they'd have to do a road test. I'll check today and see how long it would be for an appointment

I was told that they only cover "rattles" under warranty in the very beginning of the ownership period, so are you expecting them to do the "rattles" for free? If they do, please let me know so I can go back to my service center with that information.

I heard. But I took my car in the very first month to get this rattle checked in the speaker grill and the 3 guys said they couldn't hear it. Ironically the rattle wasn't generating when they were there to listen but after that it has been rattling since. There's nothing I would pay to get this fixed. It's literally the speaker grill. It's loose and just has to be secured. My driver speaker grill is solid.

10 months 10k miles so I should be good. 70+ miles?! While that is true about certain sounds don't know about them driving your car that much, but if they fixed everything then I guess it was worth it. I have songs favorited which all generate the rattling sound which is clearly coming from the speaker grill so shouldn't be too hard for them to notice.

ONLY 2 rattles and 1 creak? Sounds like a win to me.

These cars develop and exhibit all kinds of NVH and resonant frequency induced rattles, creaks, etc as a result of a. exposure to cold b. exposure to heat c. material age/fatique and d.mileage put on across the horrendous US and world infrastructure.

Seriously, Tesla and/or any other manufacturer should dump their generic regulation approved test sites or supplement them with a year's worth of generic US metro driving.

Wishful thinking, pipe dream.

Ya it's hasn't been bad at all lol. My steering wheel was actually creaking when I first got the car so I took it in the next week and they fixed that and I had the speaker rattle since the beginning as well. Somehow it went away but then it came back. I'd say they should understand that rattles will occur over time through different environments and not try to charge people for it. Not going to charge me thats for sure!

10 months 10k miles so I should be good. 70+ miles?!
Yea I think I would be more upset if I hadn't taken it in the past and got the "we didn't hear anything in our test drives" to see that they had only driven it 1-2 miles. After the mobile tech told me how the car heating up/cooling off often causes the noises to occur and that they sometimes took them home with them, I am kind of ok with it. I was definitely a little surprised it was so high though, especially because they NEVER EVER charge my car back up which just annoys me because its so easy to just plug it in for a few hours before I pick it up.