Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 simple things that should be standard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my 2022 Plaid since December and minus a few hiccups and trips to the service center, I'm still loving my first tesla. But there's two simple things I wish they would've had on this car.

1st: Coming from an AMG E63S which I still drive regularly, when I pull that car forward into a parking spot I can touch one button and activate the front camera to make sure I don't scrape the front lip on the parking curb. The Tesla has a camera pointed directly at my face in the cabin, why can't we have one in the T emblem on the front of the car!?

2nd: Every time I get in the car it says like "8 new sentry mode events". I feel like it'd be a lot more convenient for us as owners to get the notification with a 15 second clip sent to our app kind of like a Ring camera. I'm always too lazy to remove the USB drive and take it in with me when I get home after work to see if a squirrel happened to walk by or if there's someone casing my car while I'm at work.

Just venting, I know this is first world problems. Hopefully the sentry mode notification videos happen with a software update in the future. But Tesla placing a camera in the "grill" seems a little less likely even though it would save my ppf in the front. How do we make suggestions to Elon? Twitter, I guess? Lol

As far as the front camera suggestion, Tesla used to show a white stop line when you approach a stop light at an intersection. The stop line position would be calculated as the car came to a stop even when it went out of camera range under the front of the car -- the line remained. Lately, it looks like the line has changed somewhat in the visualization. However, I think they should be able to do the same when you are pulling into a parking space with a parking curb at the front, so that you can stop before the front of the car reaches the parking curb. Then a front camera would be less necessary - but I would like to have a "parking camera" in the front "T" as well.

A full 360 camera system would be nice, but would require cameras pointing down in the mirrors and a camera in the front as you suggested.

Even viewing the sentry events in the car is a pain because it takes a while for it to get to the actual point that caused the event.

Reactions: Ross326
I've had my 2022 Plaid since December and minus a few hiccups and trips to the service center, I'm still loving my first tesla. But there's two simple things I wish they would've had on this car.

1st: Coming from an AMG E63S which I still drive regularly, when I pull that car forward into a parking spot I can touch one button and activate the front camera to make sure I don't scrape the front lip on the parking curb. The Tesla has a camera pointed directly at my face in the cabin, why can't we have one in the T emblem on the front of the car!?

2nd: Every time I get in the car it says like "8 new sentry mode events". I feel like it'd be a lot more convenient for us as owners to get the notification with a 15 second clip sent to our app kind of like a Ring camera. I'm always too lazy to remove the USB drive and take it in with me when I get home after work to see if a squirrel happened to walk by or if there's someone casing my car while I'm at work.

Just venting, I know this is first world problems. Hopefully the sentry mode notification videos happen with a software update in the future. But Tesla placing a camera in the "grill" seems a little less likely even though it would save my ppf in the front. How do we make suggestions to Elon? Twitter, I guess? Lol
Completely agree on the sentry mode events, I park in a garage at work and at the end of the day have like 80+ events of people just walking by. It would be nice to differentiate them somehow

Yeah I heard the dreaded scrape pulling forward at a parking place with an “assist” curb a few days ago. Ouch. I kind of half assed the repair using the pain touch up kit because it doesn’t show, but I try to never pull forward into parking places.

Uploading every worthless sentry clip over the cell network to a cloud service would get expensive quickly. Can’t imagine ever wanting to actually watch them unless there was some obvious damage to my car that needed investigation.

It would be nice to have the new sentry clips stitched, 5 seconds before the trigger to several seconds after. It takes a while to scrub through them and the scrubber is not super responsive.

Many of these are someone walking past the car.

If there is an event of concern you could go to the raw capture.
A simple picture taken the moment the car's headlights flash, sent to the app would go a long way.

Reactions: Ross326 and dlittle
It would be nice to have the new sentry clips stitched, 5 seconds before the trigger to several seconds after. It takes a while to scrub through them and the scrubber is not super responsive.

Many of these are someone walking past the car.

If there is an event of concern you could go to the raw capture.
Unless something changed recently, if you’re watching Sentry clips in the car, there’s a red dot on the timeline that shows where the triggering event occurred, and you can tap that dot to jump to that spot.

Reactions: LJG0053
Totally agree about the camera.

My CTS-V had a camera pointing down at the front every time the proximity sensor detected something at low speed so I do not hit the carbon fiber splitter.

For the Sentry feature, I always get one sentry mode which is me waiting on the handle to pop up while the key sync :) I wish the AI could identify you and ignore that event (my 200 HomeKit door bell knows who is at the door from my photos)

Unless something changed recently, if you’re watching Sentry clips in the car, there’s a red dot on the timeline that shows where the triggering event occurred, and you can tap that dot to jump to that spot.
That’s still there and very useful.

But coming back to your car with 15 such events, you could spend 5 minutes going through all those, and an awful lot of tapping. Also on my 2022 MS LR, scrubbing the timeline to jump to right before the event is hit or miss. Sometime it does it, sometimes it jumps around. It’s not a smooth scrub. I have a SAMSUNG T7 SSD 500GB (1050MB/s - USB 3.2) as my usb device so it should be fast enough.

A single compilation reel showing a just a few seconds before and after each trigger would make it realistic to actually look through these events.

These are all features that will no doubt be added to the fleet in due time - either via software or physical upgrades.
The Plaid is literally the best car one could own right now.
When I got my Tesla a year ago I was like “why can’t I view the cameras from my app”. A few months later that feature was added.
Then I was like, “why can’t my left or right camera give me a preview of the side when I have my blinker on?” A few months later that feature was added.
Then I was like, “why can’t I use the Boombox feature to broadcast my voice outside of the car?” That feature was added (although it was halfway taken back recently)

I think you get my point! Look, you have an amazing car. Try not to sweat too much on haves and have nots.. in due time it’ll probably show up!

Uploading every worthless sentry clip over the cell network to a cloud service would get expensive quickly. Can’t imagine ever wanting to actually watch them unless there was some obvious damage to my car that needed investigation.
That’s what they said about having the cams stream to the app on command. Now we have that feature. I agree that looking at every clip as a notification would be monotonous. But then again, so is the case with my Ring app for my doorbell, but I’m still ever so grateful for the feature. That ONE time that it came in handy on someone jacking my Amazon shipment made it all worth it.