Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 Tesla’s, 2 SEPARATE accounts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I currently have a Model S Plaid and my wife currently has a brand new Model Y. The way it’s currently set up my wife and I both use the same login credentials to the Tesla app and both cars show up that way. However, what I would like to do is give my wife her own separate login for her Model Y while still being able to retain my log in that shows BOTH cars.

If we’re being 100% honest, I don’t want her to be able to locate my vehicle whenever she wants. However, I want to be able to locate hers and mine whenever I want 😂

If you know how to do this please don’t just tell me it’s possible, please walk me through the steps of how to actually do it. Thank you again and I appreciate your help

So I currently have a Model S Plaid and my wife currently has a brand new Model Y. The way it’s currently set up my wife and I both use the same login credentials to the Tesla app and both cars show up that way. However, what I would like to do is give my wife her own separate login for her Model Y while still being able to retain my log in that shows BOTH cars.

If we’re being 100% honest, I don’t want her to be able to locate my vehicle whenever she wants. However, I want to be able to locate hers and mine whenever I want 😂

If you know how to do this please don’t just tell me it’s possible, please walk me through the steps of how to actually do it. Thank you again and I appreciate your help
Very easy.

1) your wife creates new log in credentials. Because it is new, her app should show she has no cars so far.

2) go to your app with your own credentials, go to her car (model Y) and click "security->manage drivers" to add and remove her at any time.

Once you did that, and she clicks approve, her app will now show she can do everything an owner can do in a traditional driver sense: That means she cannot remove you as the owner nor grant another person with another credential like the way you can...

If you don't trust your wife, you can change the password of your own credentials so she won't be able to log in as yourself any more.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
Do I have this right?:
Wife orders her new car on a new account (even though she has an account to be the second driver of my car). Or does it matter who orders?

Wife then invites me to be a second driver of her car?

My app will show both cars?

Do I have this right?:
Wife orders her new car on a new account (even though she has an account to be the second driver of my car). Or does it matter who orders?

Wife then invites me to be a second driver of her car?

My app will show both cars?
Either use your account or your wife’s existing account to order her car. If she creates a new account she won’t be able to access your car without switching accounts. If she uses her account and adds you as a driver, you’ll see both cars.

Either use your account or your wife’s existing account to order her car. If she creates a new account she won’t be able to access your car without switching accounts. If she uses her account and adds you as a driver, you’ll see both cars.
Ok, so she logs in with the account she set up to accept my additional driver imitation and then buys. Thanks.

Ok, so she logs in with the account she set up to accept my additional driver imitation and then buys. Thanks.
That should work, but if there were any referral bonuses in effect, you would only get them by ordering the car from your account or having your wife use your referral link. I don’t think there are any bonuses except for solar at this point, but I’m not sure.