Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 Tesla Charging setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently have a Model 3 that we've had for 18 months (but is in the shop for repairs or total) and will be receiving a Model Y in the next few months. We installed a Nema 14-50 outlet in the garage that has worked fine so far but want to make it easy to charge both cars when needed overnight. What is the recommended setup for this? I doubt if I can run another Nema 14-50 connector. Is there some way to 'share' one connection to the breaker box? What do others do?

I guess they will work in tandem and 'share' the electricity nicely? The two of them will just figure it out? Didn't want to spend $1000, but if that is necessary......

Correct. 2 HPWCs can share one circuit to the garage, which is usually cheaper (and requires less breaker space in your panel) than running 2 circuits.

We have an X and a 3 on a shared 60A circuit (48A to the cars). Either car can use the full 48A if it's the only one charging, and if they both are then they each automatically get 24A. Really simple solution, requires you to do nothing but plug your cars in. Looks slick, too.

Im about to be in the same position as the OP. Yes we have the money for two Tesla payments but it seems like buying two HPWC’s plus install can’t be the only option here...that’s like a $1000+ option.

I’m expecting to just swap the charging cable as we both drive 60miles each so 2hrs for each car on the 14-50 NEMA. I will have to get a longer cable from the aftermarket buts still cheaper.

We’re renters and I’m cool with this 14-50 outlet but the mess required (not thaaat bad I know) for two HPWC’s is a bitch much. Does the aftermarket not have a single charger with dual cables? Our panel is on on side of the garage and the 14-50 is less than a foot off the panel so I’m going to have to snake the cable around one of the cars towards the house to plug in, guess we’ll both back in once the Y shows up to cut the distance

You could run two lines off the same panel, each with their own breaker. But you'd have to make sure the sub panel and main panel can handle the load of charging two cars at the same time. The mobile charge that plugs into a 14-50 maxes out at 32 amps, so you'd need to be able to handle 64 amps. Not a crazy amount, but everything needs to be sized correctly for the load.

Many people do get two HPWC, either connect them (Gen 2) or use the wifi to connect them so they communicate on which car to charge first. Realistically, if you're buying two Teslas, the cost of two chargers isn't that significant. Yes, $500 each is a lot but so is two Teslas.

Currently have a Model 3 that we've had for 18 months (but is in the shop for repairs or total) and will be receiving a Model Y in the next few months. We installed a Nema 14-50 outlet in the garage that has worked fine so far but want to make it easy to charge both cars when needed overnight. What is the recommended setup for this? I doubt if I can run another Nema 14-50 connector. Is there some way to 'share' one connection to the breaker box? What do others do?

Be aware that the Gen 3 HPWC doesn't support load sharing yet. The manual currently says that it will in the future. With Tesla that could mean anytime between this afternoon and 2021. Get 2 gen 2 HPWCs, or try 2 enelx juiceboxes - I am currently using those in a load sharing group for my 2 Model 3s and they work great.

It's a bit of a mess at the moment. The GEN 2 HPWC allowed you to share a single feed from 1 breaker, over to a junction box, then out to up to 4 HPWCs. There was a communication cable that made one of the units the master, and the other 1,2, or 3 set to slave mode. At no point would any combination of HPWC use more than the specified amount of amperage. They were setup like this:

upload_2020-2-5_15-35-10.png

Now they only sell GEN 3, which requires an individual line and breaker for each HPWC. And they communicate the charge via Wifi... except they haven't released that feature yet. Which leaves new owners of 2+ Tesla's screwed. It's configured like this:
upload_2020-2-5_15-37-54.png

I believe there is currently a 30% tax rebate available for installing an EV charging port. Hopefully will take some of the sting out of adding a 2nd one. Will allow both cars to charge at maximum speed and mount cables where they reach easiest. Where I live, there is also an $800 utility rebate. Could make a second connector a financial no brainer.

Alternative is to use just the one charger, with a longer cable. Able to reach either cars. Would require some shuffling and planning, but if saving the $ is the priority, that could be a relatively easy choice.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I'm thinking of using the 14-50 on the car that travels the most distance on a daily basis and probably a 110 outlet on the one that doesn't. Weekends, would use the 14-50 on either. Maybe until the Gen 3 connectors figure out how to load balance that is. I see that the original Nema plug is installed with a 50 amp breaker.

I'm thinking of using the 14-50 on the car that travels the most distance on a daily basis and probably a 110 outlet on the one that doesn't. Weekends, would use the 14-50 on either. Maybe until the Gen 3 connectors figure out how to load balance that is.

That's basically what i did before we had the HPWCs. 14-50 on the one that drives more, 120V at night during the week on the other. Plug the other into 14-50 as needed to top up. Not as convenient, but it gets the job done so long as you don't need *both* cars to charge a lot on any particular night.

I'm thinking of using the 14-50 on the car that travels the most distance on a daily basis and probably a 110 outlet on the one that doesn't. Weekends, would use the 14-50 on either. Maybe until the Gen 3 connectors figure out how to load balance that is. I see that the original Nema plug is installed with a 50 amp breaker.

Given your (understandable) reluctance to spend $1,000 plus installation to get two Wall Connectors (or JuiceBoxes or something else with similar functionality), I was thinking the same thing. For people with commutes of under about 50 miles, round trip, a Level 1 (120v, NEMA 5-15) charge should suffice, so you'll probably be OK with just one Level 2 EVSE. If you do seriously deplete both cars' batteries on one day, you may need to swap the cables around or plan to use a Supercharger at some point during the day, but that should be a rare occurrence.

At the very least, you could start with such a setup and then upgrade later if you decide it's too much of a hassle.

Two other variants that might help a little, at lower cost than installing a second NEMA 14-50 outlet or Wall Connector, are:
  • Check your existing outlets and wiring to see if it's capable of handling 20A loads -- that is, NEMA 5-20 outlets rather than NEMA 5-15 outlets. (NEMA 5-20 outlets have one T-shaped prong.) If you buy Tesla's NEMA 5-20 plug/adapter ($35), this option will increase the charging speed by a bit. Even if your outlets are NEMA 5-15, if the wiring in the wall is beefy enough, you might be able to convert to NEMA 5-20 plugs (which might also require a circuit breaker update) to get this benefit, with the caveat that nothing else should be run off the same circuit.
  • If a circuit to a 120v outlet in the garage is dedicated to one outlet, and if you're willing to convert it, you could switch it to 240v (NEMA 6-15 or NEMA 6-20). This will more than double the effective charge speed compared to the equivalent 120v outlet. It'll still be slower than you get off your NEMA 14-50 outlet, though.
Both of these are likely to be low-cost conversions, IF the current wiring is suitable. You should probably consult an electrician to be sure it's all code-compliant, since there are code requirements for 120v outlets in garages, number of outlets per circuit (especially for 240v), etc. I'm not familiar with all of these, and I know nothing about your garage or electrical system, so I can't be certain that either of these options is viable for you; but they're worth investigating.

Reactions: Matsayz
We have two Model 3’s and find that having one HPWC is more than enough. It’s rare that we both need to charge at the same time so we just always have one plugged in at night, usually alternating between the two. If the second one really needs a charge I just plug it in when I wake up. At 45 mph I can add 90 miles in two hours in the morning before either of us heads out for the day.

I’m curious, how do you know you are getting a Model Y “in the next few months”. Have you been given a date by Tesla? I know they are starting deliveries next month but I have not heard any mention of how big the backlog is.

We have two Model 3’s and find that having one HPWC is more than enough. It’s rare that we both need to charge at the same time so we just always have one plugged in at night, usually alternating between the two. If the second one really needs a charge I just plug it in when I wake up. At 45 mph I can add 90 miles in two hours in the morning before either of us heads out for the day.

I’m curious, how do you know you are getting a Model Y “in the next few months”. Have you been given a date by Tesla? I know they are starting deliveries next month but I have not heard any mention of how big the backlog is.
I don't 'know' that it will happen, but we made an early reservation and received an email yesterday from a local Tesla advisor about the reservation. The email says

"We want to make sure you’re all-set and ready-to-go once your vehicle arrives to our Tesla Baltimore store where you’ll be accepting delivery. Pending a successful inspection of your vehicle we’ll be looking to schedule your delivery experience for the day the vehicle arrives on site. Currently we don’t have an ESTIMATED date of arrival for your vehicle to arrive. Once your vehicle is built I will be able to provide an update to you at that time and be your best point of contact as we move forward. We look forward to getting you behind the wheel of this phenomenal Model Y. "

I'm probably being overly optimistic, but want to be ready with any potential charging setup changes.