Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 Tesla wall connector load sharing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a calculation to determine how fast two vehicles will charge using load sharing on a 60 amp circuit?
I'm trying to determine if load sharing on a 60 amp circuit sharing 48 amps of charge is better or equal to 2 dedicated 30 amp circuits at 24 amps of charge rate.

With load sharing when one car finishes charging the other car starts drawing more amps, up to 48 in your case. If you had two 30’s, no car could ever draw more than 24.

Note that the "up to 48" amps assumes a Model 3 LR, a Model S, or a Model X. The Model 3 SR, SR+, and MR top out at 32A. Most other EVs (if they were charging via a JDapter or something similar) also top out at about 32A, but details vary.

This is not to contradict @paulk's main point; but the advantage of a load-shared 60A circuit will be less if two SR/SR+/MR Model 3s are involved than when other Teslas are being charged.

If both cars start and finish charging at the same times, then two 30’s is equal. Any other case, load sharing wins. With load sharing when one car finishes charging the other car starts drawing more amps, up to 48 in your case. If you had two 30’s, no car could ever draw more than 24.

How does the load sharing network determine which car gets more amps?

How does the load sharing network determine which car gets more amps?
I think that changed over time. At first, (briefly) it seemed to get feedback about which car had a lower state of charge and would preferentially send more amps to that car. But they seemed to change something pretty quickly, and now I think it is just an even half and half split if there are two cars charging.

Reactions: brkaus
I’m setting up load sharing. Just purchased a second WC. If two 30a circuits (24a charging) there is no fast charging option when a single car is all that needs charging. Load sharing allows that single car to charge twice as fast.

I think that changed over time. At first, (briefly) it seemed to get feedback about which car had a lower state of charge and would preferentially send more amps to that car. But they seemed to change something pretty quickly, and now I think it is just an even half and half split if there are two cars charging.

I observe the same thing as Rocky above. In the past, the two wall connectors seem to communicate to the car to determine the SOC and the amps were divided so that the car that had the lower SOC got more amps. It seemed like the power was divided so that both cars would finish charging at about the same time. If you left one car plugged in and was already fully charged, and you plugged in a 2nd car, the second car would get all the amps except 6 amps that was reserved for the other car for some reason. So if you had 48 total amps available, the car that needed a charge would get 42 amps, and the fully charged car would have 6 amps reserved for it, but if you looked at the charge screen it would say 0/6A.

Lately the behavior has been changing. And most recently I observed that the two chargers are just splitting the amps 50/50. So each plug gets 24 amps even if one of the cars is not actively charging. If you want to give the one car the full power from the circuit, you have to unplug the other car that's not charging.

On a plus note. I don't have any issues with my Roadster throwing a fault as described in this post here: Any problem with two HPWC Power Sharing to charge Roadster with CAN Sr? But all the same, I prefer the previous behavior where the power split to the various wall connectors would change based on the SOC of the various cars.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H