Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 teslas as only cars in household? good idea or bad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a good question as to have multiple EVs. It is all about lifestyle. The MX is intriguing.
I have a MS for driving around the Bay Area. But keep my Jeep Grand Cherokee for skiing at Tahoe and towing my Jeep CJ5 for offroading in the Sierra. Don't see TM coming up with alternatives to those vehicles for awhile.

given the price of EVs as of the mid-201teens, if there were in a household a teen-aged driver, I absolutely would not be having her or him driving a Tesla; not even a Gen-3. Nor a Leaf, nor anything else that he or she could not afford to purchase. A ten-15 y-o gasser it is, or an old VW TDI.

I don't think the OP has a younger driver in the house, but a well-thought-out counterpoint is always welcome. As a financially-successful family, we believe that we have the responsibility to promote sustainability as much as we reasonably can. I've decided that my kids must start out electric, so that they're never even tempted to go the ICE route and so they contribute to reducing pollution, setting a good example, and evangelizing the transformation. Of course, we also ensure that we instill a work ethic, an "earning" mentality, and an awareness of value into our children, but ICE is no longer an option in our particular set of acceptable choices.

After 35 replies, I believe - to no one's surprise - there has been here a unanimous "good idea". So, even though I also was an early "You Bet!", I'll try to play devil's advocate, as follows:

given the price of EVs as of the mid-201teens, if there were in a household a teen-aged driver, I absolutely would not be having her or him driving a Tesla; not even a Gen-3. Nor a Leaf, nor anything else that he or she could not afford to purchase. A ten-15 y-o gasser it is, or an old VW TDI.

I know others run their lives differently.

The leaf is about to cross the 4 digit barrier ($9999) on the used market, how cheap does a used leaf have to be before you recommend it vs an old gasser that uses 25 mpg? Sure a $9000 car cost more up front than a $3000 beater but you make so much back in savings on gasoline (something like $0.03 per mile on the leaf vs $0.30 a mile on a ice beater).

I have allergies and live in an area where weeds grow year round so something with a cabin air filter and working AC is practically a must. I can't imagine forcing someone to put up with the pollen around here just because you want to avoid the up front cost of an EV vs a traditional ICE beater.

I suppose if I really wanted to cut corners I could go for a 2005 Prius and save some on the up front cost but I'm expecting the Leaf to drop below Prius prices eventually as people don't want to deal with the range limitations on a 2 or 3 bar loser. If you can deal with the range limitations the Leaf looks like a luxury car vs a $3000 ice beater.