Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 teslas as only cars in household? good idea or bad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello everyone,

my wife has put her $ down for her Model X, and I am leaning towards a Model S.

we both drive less than 1k miles each per car per month.

are there any good reasons that i cannot think of that owning 2 teslas as our only vehicles is a bad idea..??

I know road trips is my main concern, we drive to San Fran, San Diego or Vegas from So Cal 5x a year. I guess if I was really worried, I can rent a Tahoe for those trips.

Be aware that your miles-driven-per-month average will probably double, because you'll look for any excuse to drive your Tesla(s). :biggrin:

hello everyone,

are there any good reasons that i cannot think of that owning 2 teslas as our only vehicles is a bad idea..??

I know road trips is my main concern, we drive to San Fran, San Diego or Vegas from So Cal 5x a year. I guess if I was really worried, I can rent a Tahoe for those trips.

Add a 20kW solar array and you'd have the perfect setup.

We'll become a two-Tesla family when her Model X is delivered. But even now, all road trips get done in my Model S anyway unless we cannot physically fit everything into my car; then, and only then, do we take the minivan.

I see no reason for you to be concerned. Go right ahead.

will be a 2-Tesla house here too, when the X comes.

but unlike others in this thread getting rid of their trucks, our third car will be the new Ford F-150. we live on a farm, travel a lot of dirt roads and in the snow and mud.

and there are still places we go that are not covered by the Supercharger network.

for peace of mind, for us, for now... we still need an ICE as a backup.

Just make sure your main panel can handle the power draw from both cars charging at the same time.

I have 200A service to my house but make sure to schedule the cars to start charging at different times within the 12 to 7AM off peak timeframe, just in case I happen to be running another high power device (unlikely, but possible). Since I have an HPWC and a Roadster HPC the cars almost always fully charge in less than 3 hours.

Popular thread! Thanks for starting it, Broncophil.

We will be assiduously continuing to reduce our ICE profile over the next years. At present we have one P85, one F-350, one F-250, one E-350, one older Subaru Legacy Outback, one Golf TDI and two Toyota Land Cruisers - a BJ-40 and a BJ-70. ALL have their niches...at least we have rid ourselves of 3 other ICEs over the past two years. We are having a difficult time considering which more to put on the chopping block, although the Land Cruisers are the goof-off off-road machines and most easily could be justified disappearing. With a slight change in lifestyle, there's a bit of substitutability between the E-350 and F-350.

An X could sorta-kinda substitute for some of the above, but overall, Bush Alaska is not ready for full-time dedication to the current crop of EVs. It still is Just Too Far to town for a 300-mile range vehicle.

We also have 16kW of PV panels...

I'll be a two-Tesla household when X deliveries begin and I can swap out my Jeep for the X.

I'm not worried about charging overlap - at the pre-TMC Connect bbq here last summer (#PartyAtPicnicCreek), we had multiple cars charging simultaneously (at 70amp and 40amp) throughout the day/evening with no problems, plus the band equipment and the bbq caterer and tons of other misc. electrical requirements. Never even a flicker. (Though I did have the local elec company check loads in advance on distribution transformers and such, based on forum recommendations.)

Another two-Tesla family here. We've been two-Tesla for over two years. We definitely recommend it; in fact HERE is a thread I started specifically as advice for people considering a Tesla (though it is aimed more at the first-Tesla buyer).

Before that, we were two-EV (only one a Tesla) for over three years. We have always been able to go anywhere we want. Trips did take quite a bit longer using 240V chargers, but now with superchargers it's no big deal at all - in fact it's nicer than driving a gas car. HERE is a write-up on an 11,000-mile trip we took last month. The trips you mention are in Supercharger Central; they are where I'd be least worried about taking a trip. You would only have an issue it you want to drive to, say, Little Rock Arkansas.

Have fun!

hello everyone,

We've been a two EV family for about a month (just bought a BMW i3 to complement our Model S). So far the only minor issue is charging both cars simultaneously. But that is more of an issue of only having one parking spot in our garage (thanks to a workbench taking up some space) and needing better wiring in our garage. Otherwise having a small EV for commuting to and parking in San Francisco and having a Model S for everything else is working great. We plan to be a two Tesla household once the lease is up on the i3 and the Model 3 is out.

Hilarious! Next time we road trip to CA we will have to get together for lunch :biggrin:

As for where to put a P85D in the budget, how about in the 'entertainment' column:wink:

Definitely look us up for lunch. We are former Minnesotans, having lived for a while in Maple Grove before heading West.

Love the financing suggestions: the honesty and pragmatism of the "expense" column, and the you-only-live-once of the "entertainment' column, versus the likely placement in the "oops-honey-I-think-I-just-accidentally-ordered-another-Tesla" column followed with BTW I just picked up that diamond anniversary band at the jeweler you've been wanting, and I brushed the kids teeth and put them to bed ;)

Recently became an EV only household when we added the smart fortwo electric. Will become a 2 Tesla household once the Model 3 comes out. Road trips are easy with the superchargers and the smart is the city car. Not going back to ICE.

Yeah, I agree with the others, this should work out just fine! Supercharging makes that possible... Now, if you have reservations about the possibility that Tesla goes bankrupt and their stations become defunct OR that they stop supporting your vehicles charging needs (IE they use a new adapter on their next model, like they did with the Roadster) that is something to consider. I'd say those risks are pretty low though.

HERE is a write-up on an 11,000-mile trip we took last month.

OT: Oh, that was you at the South Portland event! The simple "S" in your alias meant it didn't click. ;) It was a little more impressive at peak than when you arrived. One day (almost certainly not in 2014) there will be Superchargers in Maine to make a return a bit easier.

I just wish to be a 1 Tesla household by the end of the decade.

After 35 replies, I believe - to no one's surprise - there has been here a unanimous "good idea". So, even though I also was an early "You Bet!", I'll try to play devil's advocate, as follows:

given the price of EVs as of the mid-201teens, if there were in a household a teen-aged driver, I absolutely would not be having her or him driving a Tesla; not even a Gen-3. Nor a Leaf, nor anything else that he or she could not afford to purchase. A ten-15 y-o gasser it is, or an old VW TDI.

I know others run their lives differently.