Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 ton death machines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He also said at the end that he doesn't think that these people that want to ban it will actually succeed nor does he agree with that position. I think he realized that he went a little too far in trying to please his autonomy investor audience and walked it back a little. I think the eventual end game for the human driving vs computer driving relationship is simply the full self driving software still running in the background even when you're driving and when it detects a significant mistake, it will subtly but instantly turn itself on, fix the problem, and then fade back off. This way it allows people to keep driving if they want/need to nut it will make it just as safe as full AV so best of both worlds. They could also have cameras inside the car that track your eyes that automatically turn on AV when you are not paying attention.

I really like that suggestion/idea! Makes a lot of sense to me.
IMO It will take a long time for drivers to be "banned" - decades. It would also be very gradual. Once the majority of cars being sold are autonomous, by that point fleets of autonomous vehicles will make it so that car ownership is financially irresponsible compared to just using the fleet in all but the ultra-fringe cases.
I imagine it would start by just having no more drivers trained to get their licenses, with no new licenses issued. That may happen after some sort of law that removes licenses from anyone that causes a major collision (involving X damage or Y injuries). That would get more stingy over time, eventually making it so that if a human is involved in ANY at-fault collision, their license is removed.
Then it would be down to only good drivers on the roads. I think that would be fine, but over time, it is possible that even they would be phased out based on traffic inefficiencies and not being able to maintain the flow of autonomous traffic, or just contained to other roads, or roads being AV only.
Certainly an interesting future ahead no matter which way we go about it!

Also to those saying 10+ years... I know it's difficult to imagine the changes that will come from this, but as a reminder, it hasn't even been 12 years since the first iPhone came out. Our world has changed incredibly in that time with smart phones, tablets, wearable devices and more. I don't think we can truly understand what's coming until it happens!

I really like that suggestion/idea! Makes a lot of sense to me.
IMO It will take a long time for drivers to be "banned" - decades. It would also be very gradual. Once the majority of cars being sold are autonomous, by that point fleets of autonomous vehicles will make it so that car ownership is financially irresponsible compared to just using the fleet in all but the ultra-fringe cases.
I imagine it would start by just having no more drivers trained to get their licenses, with no new licenses issued. That may happen after some sort of law that removes licenses from anyone that causes a major collision (involving X damage or Y injuries). That would get more stingy over time, eventually making it so that if a human is involved in ANY at-fault collision, their license is removed.
Then it would be down to only good drivers on the roads. I think that would be fine, but over time, it is possible that even they would be phased out based on traffic inefficiencies and not being able to maintain the flow of autonomous traffic, or just contained to other roads, or roads being AV only.
Certainly an interesting future ahead no matter which way we go about it!

Also to those saying 10+ years... I know it's difficult to imagine the changes that will come from this, but as a reminder, it hasn't even been 12 years since the first iPhone came out. Our world has changed incredibly in that time with smart phones, tablets, wearable devices and more. I don't think we can truly understand what's coming until it happens!
Why would you need a license at all? If the computer wont let you crash then there is no need for a standard license program except for maybe the most basic rules of the road and even then some other system could be figured out. Also the point of the system I mentioned is that there would be no human at fault crashes because the computer would prevent them. If there where any crashes it would be the computers fault because it didn't stop it. As far as traffic flow goes the majority of cars will be computer driven so you wont have any problems with traffic and any case that you do they could just have a dynamic rule that says no driving until the traffic is sorted out or you leave the area. With all this you would never need nor have a reason to completely ban human driving.