Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2" tow hitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That may be what STEALTH says, but TESLA does not. Thanks @Irishman for clarification.
Maybe read the complete page, they talk about tongue weight
I don't have any experience with this as I have not pulled a trailer in 30 odd years nor do I have any plans to do so in the future.

Carrying Capacity- Trailer Towing​

Refer to the Certificate of Conformity (provided at the time of your vehicle's purchase), statutory plate (see Statutory Plate), or tow hitch label for the total trailer weight—including all cargo and additional equipment—and the trailer tongue weight Model 3 can safely carry. In addition to the maximum total trailer weight and trailer tongue weight, observe the following guidelines:
  • For trailers weighing more than 750 kg, a separate trailer braking system with an independent controller must be used. Carefully follow the instructions provided by the trailer brake manufacturer to ensure that trailer brakes are properly installed, adjusted, and maintained.
  • The tongue weight is the downward force that the weight of the trailer exerts on the hitch. It must be at least 4% of the total trailer load. The maximum tongue weight (or technically permissible mass at the coupling point) is 100 kg for non-performance vehicles and 25 kg for performance vehicles. Carrying a significant amount of equipment, passengers, or cargo in the tow vehicle can reduce the tongue weight it can handle, which also reduces the maximum towing capacity. Maximum towing capacity is calculated assuming the TPMLM (Technically Permissible Maximum Laden Mass) is not exceeded (See Vehicle Loading).

I'm going to be out a bit of money on this tow hitch. There are numerous articles about installing this thing and it seemed well vetted. This is not for the Tesla Model 3. I'm going to have to eat the shipping +20% for restocking fee. No one seems to be able to point me towards a company willing to install this. I could do it myself I guess, but do you really want to install a part that others refuse to do because they don't want the liability? Beware folks!!!
Torklift in Kent Washington does installation for $250.

Get the Stealth. It's a superior system. Thats what I've had before but got fooled by the "stainless" torklift. They are a bit misleading and only the receiver attachment is stainless. You still get rust where the receiver attaches, not to mention the rest of the hitch. You get less rust with the better engagement on the stealth as well. My 2 cents

Get the Stealth. It's a superior system. Thats what I've had before but got fooled by the "stainless" torklift. They are a bit misleading and only the receiver attachment is stainless. You still get rust where the receiver attaches, not to mention the rest of the hitch. You get less rust with the better engagement on the stealth as well. My 2 cents
What is your opinion of the u-haul installed hitch?

Well I eventually just installed it myself. Truth is it isn't super hard.

Those sockets need to be deep dish to remove the bumper. Make sure not to torque too hard on he bolds that hold the plastic grave protector on the bottom.

Lights were probably the most challenging part of the whole surgery as they were a struggle getting out and it felt like they would break. They have a little dog ear on them that you need to be careful not to put too much force on but they did come out without breaking.

I was really surprised how easily the bumper fascia just snapped on and off. This was big biggest fear going into it, put that part was relatively easy.

I put it up on rhino ramps I got at autozone for $60.

Only regret is that somehow I ended up with the Torklift and not the Stealth hitch. Not the end of the world, but the stealth hitch was what I wanted.

I'll attribute that mistake to personal ignorance.

Teslaratti describes it as

TESLA MODEL 3 TOW HITCH (STEALTH ECOHITCH DESIGN)​

Funny they mention the world "stealth" several times but never say Torklift, the actual brand. I should have known that ecohitch was not the one I wanted, but some prefer the Ecohitch over the Stealthitch. Probably if I was moving more than a couple of mountain bikes I might like the sturdier(apparently) Torklift.

At the end of the day I could not find anyone to do the install for me, when I did it was 2 months out. These shops are throwing away money in my opinion by not doing the install.

So, we have a four bike platform rack for my truck. Will our M3LR with this stealth hitch be able to handle the weight of four mountain bikes and bike rack with four people in the vehicle? Seems like a lot of extra weight.

I think you’ll find everyone’s opinion is to get the stealth hitch.

It’s a great system. Everything else is a bolt on rusty thing that hangs below the model 3 - permanently.
The Torklift EcoHitch is removable as well as the Stealthhitches, but you need a wrench to do it. The Stealthhitches is quicker and easier to remove.
You might be confusing the two different brands of removable hitch systems, and there have been been changes over the years:

The Stealthhitches crossbar is multiple pieces and only the small, square piece that the quick disconnect tow ball or square receiver connect to is stainless steel.

The Torklift EcoHitch is all one piece (except for the removable square receiver) and was never stainless steel nor advertised as such until recently. I noticed about 1 or 2 years ago that they started using all stainless steel on their tow hitch https://torkliftcentral.com/stainless-steel-trailer-hitch-receiver. I bought mine almost 4 years ago, so I didn't get the benefit of the stainless steel. But I did paint mine with rust resistant paint before I installed it.

I agree that for most people the Stealthhitches is the easier one to use, but I went with the EcoHitch due to being one piece (possibly stronger), having a square receiver closer to the car bumper (more stable with heavier trailers), and cheaper when I ordered many years ago.

So, we have a four bike platform rack for my truck. Will our M3LR with this stealth hitch be able to handle the weight of four mountain bikes and bike rack with four people in the vehicle? Seems like a lot of extra weight.

I'd be a little worried about 4 bikes on a M3 personally

Ok, let's do some moment arm math.

Hidden Hitch Specs (eTrailer):
10" from Ball to Peg, rated at 350lbs of tongue weight = 291.7 ft-lb at the hitch pivot point

1up 2" Super Duty + 2 bike addons has a center of mass approx 25" from the pivot pt (specs)
1up 2" Super Duty weighs 47lbs + 18.5lb * 2 for addons = 84lb
291.7 / 2.08 = 140 lbs at center of mass allowable or about 14 lbs per bike.
So even with the most aggressive numbers, 4 bikes is a no-go.

3 bikes = 21in from pivot, 65.5lbs
This comes out to 33lbs per bike for 3 bikes. Which is fairly usable.

Now let's compare to EcoHitch
10" from Ball to Pivot pt approx, 300lb tonque weight = 250ft-lb
for 3 bikes this comes out to 25lb/bike which is still somewhat usable although cutting things close

For the OEM hitch, things are a little tricker (it looks something like this)View attachment 676280
I'm going to assume 220lb = 220ft-lb allowed although the curved arm might mean that this is off.
This would come out to 20lb per bike using the factory rating which is getting into danger territory for 3 bikes.

Bottom line is that, regardless of which hitch specs are used, 3 bikes is fairly safe, 4 not so much. Maybe stick to 2 if you want to stay closest to Tesla recommendations.