Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 week old 2021 Model Y - SHUT DOWN while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WARNING TO DRIVERS: Last night I was driving on a local street when suddenly a warning came up on the screen saying "VEHICLE SHUTTING DOWN - pull over safely". While I was TRYING to pull over safely, the car just shook and stopped. I had less than 5 seconds to react and was still partially in the traffic lane. I couldn't even put the car in neutral to push it to a safe spot. Luckily this did not happen on the freeway or I for sure would have been stalled in the middle of whatever lane and more than likely been hit.

I put my hazards on and my husband looked up what could be the issue. He read that it could help to get out, walk away from the car and return. I tried this twice and it didn't work so I contacted "Roadside Assistance" on my app. Another alarming thing was that among options like "flat tire", there was an option to push "Car shut down while driving". What?! I haven't even had the car for 2 weeks and it just shuts down without any warning??? It took 10 minutes for a random number to text me and ask about the issue. I was prompted to troubleshoot, which did not work. I tried it 3 times. Finally, a tow truck arrived 1 hour later. When I asked if it could be quicker because I was in a lane of traffic, I was told that if I felt unsafe to call 911 and nothing else could be done by Tesla. All through random text.

I have had no leaks, and no service warnings. Nothing. This can't be normal and now I feel completely unsafe. What if it happens again on the freeway? I'm scared for my life in this car. To make matters worse, the service center is closed today and the dealership was less than helpful. I need to get to work this week and they told me that they could either reimburse me for Uber rides or "try" to give me a loaner fleet vehicle for 24 hours. That doesn't do me any good.

I'm in complete disbelief at the entire situation. It's absurd and the car I received is clearly defective and doesn't meet minimum safety standards in this condition. They are luck no one has died as a result of this. I feel helpless and so disappointed.
Same thing happened in my model 3 which is over a month old and exactly the same experience you had twice in one day. I did get stuck in the middle of the freeway and luckily read on the screen that i could exit the car and reenter for which is started again. but when you are driving on the freeway, and there is no shoulder in the left lane, it didn't even give me enough time to get safely into the right most lane of a 5 lane highway and so i was stuck in the middle and luckily the drivers behind me stopped so i didn't get hit. I felt so helpless as the car was slowing down and there was no way to get safely onto the shoulder since the speed was decreasing and it's a freeway where most people going 65 mph or higher. the 2nd time, it popped up crazy error messages on the screen (telling me i was going over max speed limit of 65) but i was only going 40 as i was turning into a residential street. I feel unsafe and can't believe this is happening for a brand whose products have been on market for a few years now.

Thanks - I can appreciate your perspective. I'm definitely not naive to think that this is the only car make out there that has issues but just the fact that it's brand new and already giving me issues is unnerving. Like I said, if we had been on the freeway when this happened, we could have been seriously injured or worse.

I was on the most recent software version. It had updated earlier in the week. N
Hi. I feel compelled to reply (almost 2 years later) because this just happened to me! My Tesla was 4 days old and had done about 75 miles. It decided to suddenly shut down and I had only seconds to try and steer it somewhere safe. I was very lucky because I was in a local street but all the same it was very dangerous and scary. The car has just been picked up and is heading to the Tesla Service Center.
My faith that this particular car is safe for my wife to drive is very low. How did Tesla handle it with you? Did they find a fault and fix it or did you insist on a replacement?

I have a model Y bought in July 2020. A year after owning it shut down while driving. They said it was due to an electrical failure with the A/C. No loaner, very annoying.
Now- 18 months later yesterday 2-18-23 I'm driving and the car jolted and said "car electrical system failure, pull over immediately" of course its Saturday and 3:00pm. I don't yet know what's wrong but this is twice in less than 3 years!? Totally unacceptable. I was in the middle of 4 appointments for work, I have 5 appointments today and had to rent a car. You can't say to anyone (you'll drive 100,000 miles with no issues) didn't happen to me. Something was not done right when my car was built and it is not safe.

This is my concern of buying a Tesla. It’s the same reason I won’t buy a Land Rover. I didn’t know Tesla was ranked at the bottom for reliability. It seems like it should be much higher since it has less moving parts. That’s part of the problem with computerized run vehicles. I’m sure these catastrophic failures are outliers but it still doesn’t explain why Tesla is ranked so low. Hopefully the newer ones are better…

This is my concern of buying a Tesla. It’s the same reason I won’t buy a Land Rover. I didn’t know Tesla was ranked at the bottom for reliability. It seems like it should be much higher since it has less moving parts. That’s part of the problem with computerized run vehicles. I’m sure these catastrophic failures are outliers but it still doesn’t explain why Tesla is ranked so low. Hopefully the newer ones are better…
The jd power “reliability” doesn’t mean what people think it means.

You can't say to anyone (you'll drive 100,000 miles with no issues) didn't happen to me.

That is unfortunate about those issues and some cars certainly can be a problem but it seems that is not the norm.

I’m at 93,589 miles in my 2017 MS. Hopefully will reach the 100k miles (and beyond) without any major issue.

Here’s a model X with over 200k miles.

EVs are ranked low overall. Tesla actually ranks very high compared to other EVs in terms of reliability.

Nissan and Tesla lead... likely because they've been in the business longest.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanDi58 and GoVols!
Thanks - I can appreciate your perspective. I'm definitely not naive to think that this is the only car make out there that has issues but just the fact that it's brand new and already giving me issues is unnerving. Like I said, if we had been on the freeway when this happened, we could have been seriously injured or worse.
It does happen, with all types and brands of car - look at this 1-day-old Porsche Taycan bricked in the middle of the highway. I am sure there are gasser vehicles with similar stories. Hope that makes you feel a little better that this isn't a Tesla-thing and even happens with EVs costing 3x what yours did.

As others have suggested, work with Tesla, try to be a reasonable human being and I am certain part of resolving it will be establishing what happened and if it's likely to happen again once fixed. My bet would be something relatively trivial from factory and that it won't recur. I'm two Teslas and 200,000km+ with no issues like this, as are hundreds of thousands of other people.

Reactions: Pianewman and SO16
This morning I had the same fault as the OP with my 1 month old M3RWD with about 700 miles on it. There was a side road just ahead so I was able to get completely off the highway and was not in anyone's way. Called roadside assistance and a rollback arrived in about three hours and hauled the car away. I was only about a half hour drive from home and a friend picked me up. I always have a least one spare car so it has been just a bit inconvenient so far.

I'm old and have owned over 60 cars, most of which were old and cheap. Break downs happen but I was lucky to always find a way to fix the issue and get back home. Just after I bought the M3 I remarked to a friend that the worst thing about the car was I couldn't work on it myself and the best thing was that I couldn't work on it myself. I'm realistic about the reliability of complex machines but I will admit this has shaken my confidence in the car.

The recommended fix of exiting the car made me laugh. I tried it several times and each time I lifted my rear off the seat the warnings stopped and the display went back to normal. Unfortunately the car would only go a few feet before the warning reappeared. I suppose if I had the patience, time and energy I might have very slowly made it back home.

This morning I had the same fault as the OP with my 1 month old M3RWD with about 700 miles on it. There was a side road just ahead so I was able to get completely off the highway and was not in anyone's way. Called roadside assistance and a rollback arrived in about three hours and hauled the car away. I was only about a half hour drive from home and a friend picked me up. I always have a least one spare car so it has been just a bit inconvenient so far.

I'm old and have owned over 60 cars, most of which were old and cheap. Break downs happen but I was lucky to always find a way to fix the issue and get back home. Just after I bought the M3 I remarked to a friend that the worst thing about the car was I couldn't work on it myself and the best thing was that I couldn't work on it myself. I'm realistic about the reliability of complex machines but I will admit this has shaken my confidence in the car.

The recommended fix of exiting the car made me laugh. I tried it several times and each time I lifted my rear off the seat the warnings stopped and the display went back to normal. Unfortunately the car would only go a few feet before the warning reappeared. I suppose if I had the patience, time and energy I might have very slowly made it back home.

That's a bummer @OldEvo. If it were me I'd wait for the diagnosis before getting too shaken - stuff like this happens, it's new tech. Having said that in four years, two Tesla's and a couple of hundred thousand kilometres, I've had nothing like that happen. If there's a logical explanation (my money would be on loose connector, assembly issue of some kind) then I don't see a big issue. If it's "we dunno", which I doubt, then obviously a different story.

If it's any slight consolation, it's not a Tesla thing - here's a guy from a few days ago whose Porsche Taycan bricked after less than a month - that thing probably cost 3x your M3. So even "German quality/luxury" doesn't have all kinks figured out, even at their way lower volumes and claims of excellence, experience, yada yada. Sh&^ happens sometimes.