Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 week old 2021 Model Y - SHUT DOWN while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is quite scary. I don’t know of any brand ICE car where this is common nowadays. So I’m surprised at some of the nonchalant comments on here to suck it up and just accept it. This is quite unacceptable actually. But glad to know you were safe.

Kindly do update this thread and let us know what they find out happened. Gives me pause as I rely on my car heavily for daily work and commute on the highway mainly; it would be dreadful if this happened to me on my way to or from work.
It's not common on Teslas or other cars but it does happen and being brand new makes it more likely to have this type of failure in many cases. I see brand new ICE cars on the side of the road broken down, the ones that still have the temp plates. Things can fail and if someone at the factory does not put a harness in all the way it can come loose but pass a test. There are several plugs on a Tesla that can cause these issues and one small one that can pull the pack power completely. Unfortunate but being unexpected because it is brand new is less surprising to me.

Someone is short TSLA...
I have plenty of shares and never short but we all know the assembly is piss poor and so are some of the materials. I already have a new steering wheel and two dash boards that bubbled and an all new passenger seat. Other issues not even worth taking to service on my 3. They also left a nut under the dash that rattles and won't fix it under warranty. Not my first Tesla by any means but service went from world-class to no class.

Reactions: forumer
I have plenty of shares and never short but we all know the assembly is piss poor and so are some of the materials. I already have a new steering wheel and two dash boards that bubbled and an all new passenger seat. Other issues not even worth taking to service on my 3. They also left a nut under the dash that rattles and won't fix it under warranty. Not my first Tesla by any means but service went from world-class to no class.
Are you also EVHomie?

No and I also don't wear Tesla blinders. Tesla has great tech and horrible assembly for the amount of time they have had to resolve these issues Paint is also still inexcusable even for CA EPA standards. EV Homie has valid points but a Tesla is not "Garbage" but it is pretty sad where their priorities lie and this will bite them in time if it does not change soon. What is garbage is Tesla CS, the worst and modeled after Paypal with Paypal being superior.

Tesla quality is not where it should be. Even bigger problem is the poor service. They have sold a lot of cars but they have not invested in ramping up their service staff. When car breaks down the parts are not in stock, service centers don’t work over the weekends, you cannot talk to anyone but send messages in an app. I knew this before I purchased MY. I really wanted an EV and Tesla still makes the best EVs. There is not much competition at this time. I haven’t had any quality issues. I know others who have had problems but they were resolved.

AnaS,
I hope your car gets fixed soon and you don’t have any further problems. I hope you will get many years of satisfied ownership and this one incident will fade away in distant memory.

UPDATE: I received a phone call from the service center yesterday (Monday) morning and asked me what happened. After I described the situation (including the potential damage that the tow truck may have cause by pulling a vehicle with locked wheels as it was skidding on the road and I heard a loud pop from under the hood/bumper). His response was "OK, we will take a look and call you with an update this afternoon". I have yet to speak with anyone over the phone regarding the diagnosis or to receive any status updates. Only updates thus far have been through text on the app stating that they will need the car through Tuesday (today) and then an e-mail this morning that a part has been ordered and they'd notify me twice per week until the car is repaired.

I tried calling the service center multiple times yesterday and every time I do that, I just get a message stating that I need to communicate with them through the app. I'm all for text messaging but not literally for everything. This is completely absurd. I'm still in the dark even after a part has apparently been ordered. Can't even tell what the part is - "ASY, REAR, MOSFET-LC,GLOBAL". When I looked it up online, it said that its known to be "the newer AWD motor with less power".

p.s. If you're about to tell me to stop "flipping out" or that this is not a big deal - DON'T. Keep your useless, and borderline bullying, opinions to yourself.

Can't even tell what the part is - "ASY, REAR, MOSFET-LC,GLOBAL". When I looked it up online, it said that its known to be "the newer AWD motor with less power".

@AnaS I've seen a few instances in the community here of people whom have had electric motor failures, and I think it's typically the rear motor when it does happen. I'm pretty sure this is still very rare (given the small percentage of people posting here with the issue represent a small percentage of people even bothered to come to TMC out of the general MY owning population), but definitely not a great. I guess when it happens, the vehicle has to shut down quite quickly or risk damage from further operation. Really sorry this happened to you, and hopefully they have you back up and running quickly and for good. Please do continue to keep us updated!

Can't even tell what the part is - "ASY, REAR, MOSFET-LC,GLOBAL". When I looked it up online, it said that its known to be "the newer AWD motor with less power".
MOSFET is metal–oxide–semiconductor field-effect transistor, MOSFET-LC is an oscillator circuit to generate sine wave, so I guess this part is the circuit to generate the AC current for the rear motor that went bad. ASY could be either "Assembly" or "Asymmetric". "GLOBAL" is for global part (not region-specific).

WARNING TO DRIVERS: Last night I was driving on a local street when suddenly a warning came up on the screen saying "VEHICLE SHUTTING DOWN - pull over safely". While I was TRYING to pull over safely, the car just shook and stopped. I had less than 5 seconds to react and was still partially in the traffic lane. I couldn't even put the car in neutral to push it to a safe spot. Luckily this did not happen on the freeway or I for sure would have been stalled in the middle of whatever lane and more than likely been hit.

I put my hazards on and my husband looked up what could be the issue. He read that it could help to get out, walk away from the car and return. I tried this twice and it didn't work so I contacted "Roadside Assistance" on my app. Another alarming thing was that among options like "flat tire", there was an option to push "Car shut down while driving". What?! I haven't even had the car for 2 weeks and it just shuts down without any warning??? It took 10 minutes for a random number to text me and ask about the issue. I was prompted to troubleshoot, which did not work. I tried it 3 times. Finally, a tow truck arrived 1 hour later. When I asked if it could be quicker because I was in a lane of traffic, I was told that if I felt unsafe to call 911 and nothing else could be done by Tesla. All through random text.

I have had no leaks, and no service warnings. Nothing. This can't be normal and now I feel completely unsafe. What if it happens again on the freeway? I'm scared for my life in this car. To make matters worse, the service center is closed today and the dealership was less than helpful. I need to get to work this week and they told me that they could either reimburse me for Uber rides or "try" to give me a loaner fleet vehicle for 24 hours. That doesn't do me any good.

I'm in complete disbelief at the entire situation. It's absurd and the car I received is clearly defective and doesn't meet minimum safety standards in this condition. They are luck no one has died as a result of this. I feel helpless and so disappointed.
I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with your brand new car. Tesla roadside service can be patchy and not being able to push the car to a safe zone can be very unnerving when on a highway. I hope your car gets fixed soon and you can enjoy driving with peace of mind.

You have came to the right place... TMC has plenty of experts that will help address the issue for you. Soon you will be back on the road in no time. Keep us updated on what Tesla is concluding so the knowledgeable members here can continue with proper diagnosing.
Glad you are safe.

• Funny
Reactions: ToutSuite
If you don’t feel safe you may as well get rid of it. Nothing Tesla has to say is going to make you feel any better about why it happened or whether it will happen again.

But then again, that goes for any car. So maybe you should stop driving all together.
Weird reply. Kind of passive aggressive. This person obviously had a problem, and you reply with that kind of remark? This kind of issue needs addressing from Tesla, so that we are all safer. Childish retorts don't help.

Only updates thus far have been through text on the app stating that they will need the car through Tuesday (today) and then an e-mail this morning that a part has been ordered and they'd notify me twice per week until the car is repaired.

Just FYI - looks like you’re in California. CA’s Lemon Law kicks in if your car is in for repairs for a total of 30 days total during the new car warranty period. Sounds like this might be a while - and might eat up all of the 30-day clock. I’d be inclined not to bug Tesla - to see if they have it more than 30 days. Then - it’s a buy back.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Lot's of hysteria here. Sounds like a drive failure and a new drive/inverter will be installed. There are rare defects in manufacturing that happen with all cars. Many ICE cars have all sorts of failures. Ice cars do not have the same safety redundancies and intelligence to stop you safely. This is not likely a software bug but more likely a mechanical failure and a very rare one. They are quite possibly replacing the entire drive unit. That would include anything damaged and your car will be tested and under full warranty. Your car will be repaired and safe, unfortunate but again this sounds like an assembly/mfg defect and these issues usually happen early on. The cars software regulates systems based on speed etc to safely stop or assist you and the car has more redundancy than any vehicle on the road today. In fact your steering motor can fail on a Model 3 and the second motor will take over like the system son a plane. Forums are great for over-reaction, ignorance, bad information and FUD. Your car is no more unsafe than any other made nor more apt to failure, in fact it is MUCH safer than mosts cars on the road today. This FUD will go on for many more pages but in the end your car had an unfortunate event that will be repaired and not indicative of a wide-spread issue. Once a contactor failed on a model 3 and the internet FUD was Model 3 motors were poorly designed and blowing up. If this forum logged every untold story far worse than yours on other ICE cars your could read on here for months. They seemed to move on your car quite quickly. Ask to have all repairs documented as well as your tow concerns/ noises noted on the repair order and you should be good. Let's see what the final result yields.

Last edited:
"Equipment breaks??." What a childish reply. I certainly do not consider it "flipping out" to be concerned about a shutdown of the vehicle while driving. This is a major safety issue, and needs to be addressed by Tesla.
Are you you saying they are not addressing the issue or implying is a greater issue? If a mechanical defect failure it gets documented and sent to engineering if mfg there as well. It has been sated they are and of course they would address this issue.

Last edited:
I think some folks here are approaching this like engineers (product defect, resolution), while what we actually have is a customer experience issue (purchase high end large purchase, life put in danger, concerns about using product again) resulting from an engineering issue. If companies treat CX issues (especially with these stakes) like purely an engineering issue, they lose customers. Looking forward to seeing how Tesla responds.

That's pretty insensitive. "Any other car" would allow you to go into neutral and push out of oncoming traffic. "Any other car" wouldn't break 2 weeks after purchasing it. I've owned many cars and this has never happened to me before.
Actually my Cherokee suffered from a complete transmission failure while I was on the freeway. Warning light came on and tranny immediately disengaged. Jeep replaced the tranny under warranty (took 2 weeks). Funny thing is, it was able to be driven off the flat bed into a service bay. 3 months later the transmission control module failed, also replaced under warranty. No warnings with either incident and I never had any issues before or since. S#!t happens.

Reactions: Super Dave