Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 week old 2021 Model Y - SHUT DOWN while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The same thing happened to us during our first year owning a 2016 Toyota Prius. Car died in the middle of an intersection! Turned out it was a recall software issue. I was very, very glad I was not on the highway, but a busy LA intersection wasn’t exactly ideal either. Hope they can fix it and that this is your last one and only lousy experience with your Tesla.

I had a new Jaguar just stop running while I was going 70 mph on a highway. Thankfully, there were not many cars on the road. This is absolutely a scary experience, not limited to Tesla. Hope this works out in your favor. Any updates?

Yeah, that sounds like a horrible situation. Like you said, if it would have happened on the freeway then it could have been much worse.
I understand your frustration and I personally would have been as upset as you are, specially since Tesla customer service is so poor.
This seems to be a very rare failure and I am sure once it is fixed you should have no issues. Good luck.

I had this problem with a brand new RS6, an ICE. I was driving on the freeway at over 65mph when the car completely shut off and lost all power including steering. I was very fortunate to coast to safety. Re started car and it was drivable again. Made an immediate service appointment and they could not find anything. Sold the car in 3 days.

Being someone who has a model Y on order, i find the original story scarey.
First to have it shut down so quickly, and two to leave the owner in a dangerous situation.
What i find disturbing, is the poor customer dsupport.
Why weren't the texts from Tesla service, giving suggestions about what to try, identified on the phone screen as "Tesla Service".
Why wasn't Tesla Service more sympathetic to the Tesla owners situation? They should have said, as we have no loaner, we will rent you a car until your car is fixed. Call xxx rental, we have talked to them, and they are expecting your call.
To say "we will pay for Uber" rides does not always solve the situation.
Lastly, when your brand new, most expensive purchase after a house purchase breaks, you want to be able to talk to a person to get all the details. Ie you should be able to call and reach the Service Manager, and not have to rely on an app, and text messages!

I hope we find out exactly what went wrong, and hear that the customer service finally stepped up and gave this customer the service they deserve, on such an expensive purchase.
Andrew

Reactions: Mjrotor and AnaS
JulesVerne: Agree with DanDi58. Your questions about customer service are valid ones.

The only solution I've come to (and I've done this for every car I've purchased in 40 years!) is...DO YOUR RESEARCH. Get to know the product BEFORE you commit to buying it. Understand the strengths/weaknesses. Every vehicle has risks (VW/Audi: electronics, Ford: Electronics, 3rd Gen Prius: oil consumption, etc. etc. etc. ) I've also taken the time to get to know service departments PRIOR to the purchase. I've walked away from Honda and Toyota purchases because of indifferent service departments.

If the pleasure you receive from a car outweighs those risks, buy it, and enjoy it. Don't dwell on the small percentage of failures that are always posted on the internet. Those that don't have problems DON'T POST!

@JulesVerne Just keep in mind that the vast majority of Model Y's DON'T shut down while driving. Hopefully @AnaS will post an update, haven't heard from him/her in over a month...
@Jjrss I must admit to some mild curiosity about what led you to disagree with my post. The first statement IS true, and for the second, I think it would be helpful for everyone if an update was posted detailing what the resolution was....

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
@JulesVerne Just keep in mind that the vast majority of Model Y's DON'T shut down while driving. Hopefully @AnaS will post an update, haven't heard from him/her in over a month...
I agree. I haven't heard too many stories like this, so I am not TOO worried.
BUT given the rarity of the event, Customer Service should have sh0wn more concern, and treated the customer with kid gloves! Just my thoughts.

If the pleasure you receive from a car outweighs those risks, buy it, and enjoy it. Don't dwell on the small percentage of failures that are always posted on the internet. Those that don't have problems DON'T POST!
Exactly this... And yes, ICE cars have issues too... One time I bought a brand new Acura TL with less then 20 miles on the clock... This dealer was > 100 miles from my house... During the drive home, I found that there was a very loud pop/bang whenever you turned the wheel nearly all the way... Went back to the dealer... When I showed the service advisor, it scared the crap out of him when I did it in the garage.... The diagnosis? They told me that multiple bolts were missing on the steering rack, and that there was only a single loose bolt securing the steering rack... Can you imagine what the hell could have happened if the last bolt fell out on the freeway?

And as far as service goes... One time I took this same TL in to have a spoiler installed. They called me when all the parts arrived... Made the trek down... They gave me a loaner, and told me it would be done in a few hours... A few hours go by, and they call me and tell me, it will take about a week to finish the job... WTF? They said they ordered the wrong color spoiler...

UPDATE ON THE CAR:
Two months and some change after accepting delivery on my dream car, Tesla did a buy back and I am now renting a car until I figure out my next move. Basically, after the first shut down, the 12-day old car spent 2 weeks in the shop and received a new rear motor and a new 12V battery. I was told that the issue was resolved and that I "shouldn't have any more issues" with my vehicle. The day after it came back to me, my husband heard noises in the garage...it was a clicking sound followed by a loud thump a few seconds later. Each sound occurred once every 1-2 minutes - non-stop. The noises persisted for 1 week. The car then went back to service and spent almost 2 more weeks being repaired. The log showed the contactors repeatedly cycling on and off while the vehicle is idle. The "computer was causing the car to wake up and cycle the contactors repeatedly". The techs did a series of repairs including replacing the chargeport door, replacing chargeport ECU and updating filmware, replacing the 12V battery again, and replacing the USB cable / storage device in the glovebox. The issue was that "a bad USB cable from the glovebox to the car computer was falsely causing a bug". After this, Tesla agreed to a buy back.

First to have it shut down so quickly, and two to leave the owner in a dangerous situation.
Why weren't the texts from Tesla service, giving suggestions about what to try, identified on the phone screen as "Tesla Service".
Why wasn't Tesla Service more sympathetic to the Tesla owners situation? They should have said, as we have no loaner, we will rent you a car until your car is fixed. Call xxx rental, we have talked to them, and they are expecting your call.
Lastly, when your brand new, most expensive purchase after a house purchase breaks, you want to be able to talk to a person to get all the details. Ie you should be able to call and reach the Service Manager, and not have to rely on an app, and text messages!

I hope we find out exactly what went wrong, and hear that the customer service finally stepped up and gave this customer the service they deserve, on such an expensive purchase.
Hope you have better luck with yours! I absolutely loved driving the car...when it worked...and it's hard to find another car that is as fun to drive or as sleek.

Reactions: designrs
Hope you have better luck with yours! I absolutely loved driving the car...when it worked...and it's hard to find another car that is as fun to drive or as sleek.
Thank you for presenting the update, and yes, I hope my experience is better than yours. I just want it to go smoothly, and be the dream car I hope it is.
...and the main thing, that my wife learns to use and love it. I have watched ALL the youtube videos on Model Y, and she has watched none. We both at least did a test drive. Good Luck on your next choice. There are more and more options out there if you decide to go EV again. Polestar, VW,

UPDATE ON THE CAR:
Two months and some change after accepting delivery on my dream car, Tesla did a buy back and I am now renting a car until I figure out my next move. Basically, after the first shut down, the 12-day old car spent 2 weeks in the shop and received a new rear motor and a new 12V battery. I was told that the issue was resolved and that I "shouldn't have any more issues" with my vehicle. The day after it came back to me, my husband heard noises in the garage...it was a clicking sound followed by a loud thump a few seconds later. Each sound occurred once every 1-2 minutes - non-stop. The noises persisted for 1 week. The car then went back to service and spent almost 2 more weeks being repaired. The log showed the contactors repeatedly cycling on and off while the vehicle is idle. The "computer was causing the car to wake up and cycle the contactors repeatedly". The techs did a series of repairs including replacing the chargeport door, replacing chargeport ECU and updating filmware, replacing the 12V battery again, and replacing the USB cable / storage device in the glovebox. The issue was that "a bad USB cable from the glovebox to the car computer was falsely causing a bug". After this, Tesla agreed to a buy back.
Yikes..that sounds like a nightmare. But at least they agreed to a buy back and you *hopefully* didn't lose any money. I'm surprised they couldn't figure out the faulty cable; seems like QC continues to be an issue at the Fremont factory and I wonder if going back and buying once TX is online and with the newer battery would make sense for you? By that time they should have ironed these issues out.

Reactions: AnaS
@Jjrss I must admit to some mild curiosity about what led you to disagree with my post. The first statement IS true, and for the second, I think it would be helpful for everyone if an update was posted detailing what the resolution was....
Ive been following the thread for awhile. The comment in my opinion added nothing additional to the conversation. Most cars dont break. Most cars are great. Most cars have 4 wheels and a propulsion mechanism.

But there arent many icons for how I felt, so thumbs down is what you got.

Dont let it ruin your day, I've had several similar reactions to posts without commentary.

Yikes..that sounds like a nightmare. But at least they agreed to a buy back and you *hopefully* didn't lose any money. I'm surprised they couldn't figure out the faulty cable; seems like QC continues to be an issue at the Fremont factory and I wonder if going back and buying once TX is online and with the newer battery would make sense for you? By that time they should have ironed these issues out.

I don't agree with this. Austin, TX production will have (normal!) start-up issues, and the "newer battery", whenever it becomes available, will also have start-up issues. That is the reality of manufacturing with new equipment, new employees, new design, etc. etc.

Truly savvy buyers (that have even MORE patience than Tesla buyers...HAHA!) will never buy a first-year production of ANY car. It takes time for QC to improve, as we've certainly witnessed with the Model 3, and the Model Y. (I'm very impressed with paint, fit and finish of my VIN 88xxx MY, 12/26/20 delivery)

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
UPDATE: I received a phone call from the service center yesterday (Monday) morning and asked me what happened. After I described the situation (including the potential damage that the tow truck may have cause by pulling a vehicle with locked wheels as it was skidding on the road and I heard a loud pop from under the hood/bumper). His response was "OK, we will take a look and call you with an update this afternoon". I have yet to speak with anyone over the phone regarding the diagnosis or to receive any status updates. Only updates thus far have been through text on the app stating that they will need the car through Tuesday (today) and then an e-mail this morning that a part has been ordered and they'd notify me twice per week until the car is repaired.

I tried calling the service center multiple times yesterday and every time I do that, I just get a message stating that I need to communicate with them through the app. I'm all for text messaging but not literally for everything. This is completely absurd. I'm still in the dark even after a part has apparently been ordered. Can't even tell what the part is - "ASY, REAR, MOSFET-LC,GLOBAL". When I looked it up online, it said that its known to be "the newer AWD motor with less power".

p.s. If you're about to tell me to stop "flipping out" or that this is not a big deal - DON'T. Keep your useless, and borderline bullying, opinions to yourself.
I am sorry about your experience. The fact that you can not talk to a real person at the service center is horrible. Tesla really needs to up their customer service. There are times when you can communicate via text. However, sometimes if helps to be able to talk to a person.

Reactions: Andy O

Andrew
Don't expect great customer service from the service center. The lack of talking with a live person seems to be very common with Tesla. Some of us can deal with the incompetence, whole others can not. These forums will help everyone become more informed. It all comes down to personal choice.