Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 week old 2021 Model Y - SHUT DOWN while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Updated on my saga. 1 week in SC no update. MY went to SC on 6/18 no word. Complained and Tesla gave me a MS loaner on 6/29, 1.5 weeks later. Still no word on repair. The loaner was dirty but I guess I can’t complain bc most folks don’t even get a loaner let alone a Tesla loaner. Will update when I get more news.

So a dead 12v battery in your Jaguar caused a vehicle shutdown? I don’t think so.
Well a dead 12v battery wouldn't cause the Tesla to shutdown either, that's what the DC-DC converter is for. It powers the 12v system from the HV system. If it was simply the battery, the OP would be on his way from the SC already, but they are still trying to determine what happened..

As far as vehicle shutting down, on my first Infiniti, the throttly body and throttle position sensor had to be replaced when the car had < 1000 miles. It failed on my way to work... A bunch of warning lights turned on, and all I could do was coast to a stop... Pressing the throttle did nothing....

And as far as dangerous situations go... On my Acura TL, when I picked it up brand new, I was driving down the freeway, as I drove 110 miles to pick it up... On my way home, I noticed it made a VERY loud bang whenever I turned the wheel while stopped... I brought it back to the dealer... I showed them inside the service center garage. It was so loud, it startled a bunch of people.... They determined that a couple of my steering rack bolts were MISSING, and that only one bolt was left holding it in position, and and that it was loose... If that bolt came out on the freeway, I would have LOST ALL steering control of the car. At least when the tesla shuts down, you can try to safely pull over.... If your steering rack falls out of the car on the freeway, you most likely will crash, as you wouldn't even be able to even keep the car straight...

• Informative
Reactions: jsight
Uh huh. What was that “something else”?

It would have had to be a catastrophic failure like putting a rod through your block.

Even something as simple as a dead alternator can cause it. Once the battery drains, the car goes into limp mode and will no longer maintain highway speeds. Its not always something that would obviously be catastrophic.

Uh huh. What was that “something else”?

It would have had to be a catastrophic failure like putting a rod through your block.
I had an ignition module go out, on my Chevy Van. When the ignition module goes out, none of the cylinders will get spark, so the engine just went out on me on the 5 freeway... I also had a fuel pump resistor go out before. When that goes out, you lose fuel injection, which also means the engine will stop on you.

Same thing just happened to me in a 2022 Model Y with 5K miles on it. I couldn’t even put the car in neutral to push it out of traffic. Still waiting on the tow truck and now the hazard lights have stopped working. Starting to feel like we just purchased a very expensive toy when we thought we were getting a reliable and environmentally responsible vehicle.

Same thing just happened to me in a 2022 Model Y with 5K miles on it. I couldn’t even put the car in neutral to push it out of traffic. Still waiting on the tow truck and now the hazard lights have stopped working. Starting to feel like we just purchased a very expensive toy when we thought we were getting a reliable and environmentally responsible vehicle.
ALL EVs are toys or "want" type for people who can afford them.

ALL EVs are toys or "want" type for people who can afford them.
EVs are a lot more reliable than gas vehicles due to fewer parts, and require a lot less maintenance. Tesla has made more than 3M cars, and many have accumulated several hundred thousand miles. It’s true that for the time being they are quite a lot more expensive, but that will change in the coming decade.

WARNING TO DRIVERS: Last night I was driving on a local street when suddenly a warning came up on the screen saying "VEHICLE SHUTTING DOWN - pull over safely". While I was TRYING to pull over safely, the car just shook and stopped. I had less than 5 seconds to react and was still partially in the traffic lane. I couldn't even put the car in neutral to push it to a safe spot. Luckily this did not happen on the freeway or I for sure would have been stalled in the middle of whatever lane and more than likely been hit.

I put my hazards on and my husband looked up what could be the issue. He read that it could help to get out, walk away from the car and return. I tried this twice and it didn't work so I contacted "Roadside Assistance" on my app. Another alarming thing was that among options like "flat tire", there was an option to push "Car shut down while driving". What?! I haven't even had the car for 2 weeks and it just shuts down without any warning??? It took 10 minutes for a random number to text me and ask about the issue. I was prompted to troubleshoot, which did not work. I tried it 3 times. Finally, a tow truck arrived 1 hour later. When I asked if it could be quicker because I was in a lane of traffic, I was told that if I felt unsafe to call 911 and nothing else could be done by Tesla. All through random text.

I have had no leaks, and no service warnings. Nothing. This can't be normal and now I feel completely unsafe. What if it happens again on the freeway? I'm scared for my life in this car. To make matters worse, the service center is closed today and the dealership was less than helpful. I need to get to work this week and they told me that they could either reimburse me for Uber rides or "try" to give me a loaner fleet vehicle for 24 hours. That doesn't do me any good.

I'm in complete disbelief at the entire situation. It's absurd and the car I received is clearly defective and doesn't meet minimum safety standards in this condition. They are luck no one has died as a result of this. I feel helpless and so disappointed.
Ana
The just happen to me yesterday. I live in PR, a month old y Tesla model 2022.
In my way to my office, without any alarm, the car stop in a one way street. I was very anxious because of the unexpected situation.
Too more than 3 hours for Tesla road assistance help me.
I feel the same way, I don’t want that car anymore, I feel no sad, anxious, …
And the person who took care of the situation told me that is the first time he had this situation…then I started looking up, and that’s how I found about your experience..
What they did with your car? What they told you?
For me this is something I never thought will happen..
Sandra Viscal

My two year old 1958 Ford would not start in damp or rainy weather. After replacing the entire primary ignition system, points,plugs, distributor, coil,rotor, condenser, all ignition wires and then trips to two different Ford dealers, the problem remained. I was continually late in my senior year of high school. What a piece of *sugar* that vehicle was. :(

Looks like typical software bug issue with the car. For the battery SoC issues that she mentioned, it looks like typical battery drain for 2-3 days when the car's sentry mode is on.

According to Tesla, Sentry Mode drains the battery at the equivalent of one mile per hour. So, if you left your Tesla for eleven days while in Sentry Mode, you'd likely return to a dead Tesla.

And we all know Tesla's customer service, so that's not surprising.

Looks like typical software bug issue with the car. For the battery SoC issues that she mentioned, it looks like typical battery drain for 2-3 days when the car's sentry mode is on.

According to Tesla, Sentry Mode drains the battery at the equivalent of one mile per hour. So, if you left your Tesla for eleven days while in Sentry Mode, you'd likely return to a dead Tesla.

And we all know Tesla's customer service, so that's not surprising.
Yeah, that part of the story seems normal. Leave sentry on and it will drain pretty quicky. The Tesla employee's comments implying that the indicator is a GOM are ridiculously wrong. :facepalm

The support she's getting is incredibly bad and that's really the worst part of that story.