Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 week old MY, Multiple Errors whilst driving - All assist functions disabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not seen a thread about this being common on the MY, so posting.

I’ve had these errors whilst driving my 2 week old MYLR earlier this evening. All assist features were disabled and after a little scare realised the car could still be driven albeit no hold function so had to use the brake pedal quite heavily. The steering was also very heavy but manage to get back home fine. tried restarting several times and even a power off/power on with the problem not going away. Left the car for about an hour and it seem okay now.

I already have a separate service appointment booked for a panel gap and paint defect so don’t think I can request another service in the Tesla app. Any advice or should I be worried anymore seeing as the car appears to be working again? Just worried it could be a brewing problem.

Attachments

• 318EC8DF-0C07-49F1-922E-6B5B34565810.jpeg
    318EC8DF-0C07-49F1-922E-6B5B34565810.jpeg
    624.7 KB · Views: 1,003
You can simply add new issues to an existing service appointment within the app.

Open existing service appointment - Mange appointment - services (drop down arrow at top) - select service - click new issue type.

Absolutely no need to delete your current appointment, or you risk loosing the timeslot.

No need to add notes in an existing issue, or fudge it, the app supports doing it properly to update an existing service.

You can simply add new issues to an existing service appointment within the app.

Open existing service appointment - Mange appointment - services (drop down arrow at top) - select service - click new issue type.

Absolutely no need to delete your current appointment, or you risk loosing the timeslot.

No need to add notes in an existing issue, or fudge it, the app supports doing it properly to update an existing service.

Very helpful, thanks for that as I wasn't aware I could amend the existing appointment without jeopardising the date or having to cancel the already booked one. Got contacted by CS and told to call up the roadside assistance. As the errors have disappeared and not on display, they explained they couldn't really investigate it but have at least added notes on my case in the system so if it reoccurs, I can call them back again.

This is effectively the same issue that people (like me) had with the water ingress on the power steering loom. Basically any error in that part of the network causes it to disable all those features. Tesla agreed that it was a safety issue if I could lose ABS and power steering suddenly and took the car in to look over and I drove it to the SC as it wasn't far. Unfortunately for me I was one of the early people with this issue and it took them a month to get it sorted. It won't be the same water ingress issue on your Y but could be something as simple as a plug not being fully in. I'd be surprised if it went away without some sort of intervention.

This is effectively the same issue that people (like me) had with the water ingress on the power steering loom. Basically any error in that part of the network causes it to disable all those features. Tesla agreed that it was a safety issue if I could lose ABS and power steering suddenly and took the car in to look over and I drove it to the SC as it wasn't far. Unfortunately for me I was one of the early people with this issue and it took them a month to get it sorted. It won't be the same water ingress issue on your Y but could be something as simple as a plug not being fully in. I'd be surprised if it went away without some sort of intervention.
Yeah I would’ve been surprised too. 4 days on since it first happened, the errors popped up again and this time more consistently. They go away after awhile but come back almost within a few minutes of driving. Car being towed on Monday so will update once I get anymore news from Tesla. Have I been the only unlucky UK model Y owner with this issue? havent heard too many MY horror stories yet?

Same issues started for me on 18/03 on my 3 month old 3LR. Had no issues on the 19th and 20th, but intermintently since then. Took my car to Tesla SC on Friday, have been advised today that it's water ingress on steering rack...

I got all of these errors on my 2018 model 3 this morning as I was driving down the highway. @X-Cile what software version are you on? I just got 2022.8.2 and while I’ve never had an issue with an update I’m wondering if it’s related.
I had it before and after the 2022.8.2 install/upgrade so I think it is unrelated. If anything I thought the upgrade actually fixed the problem because the first time it happened was before I did the 2022.8.2 upgrade but the errors came back this past weekend and appeared to happen even more frequently. For me, I picked up on a pattern of when it is about to become a problem because the car shudders/stutters whilst driving just before all the alerts pop up.

Same issues started for me on 18/03 on my 3 month old 3LR. Had no issues on the 19th and 20th, but intermintently since then. Took my car to Tesla SC on Friday, have been advised today that it's water ingress on steering rack...

Out of curiosity, which SC did it go in and how long it took for them to fix the problem? Just wondering whether if it is the same place and whether they are picking up on a common theme of a problem. Mine went to Park Royal

I had fully expected the Water ingress in wiring loom explanation because it seemed like that was the most common issue but to my surprise, an update SMS from the SC had mentioned "Wheel Speed Sensor" as the suspected fault which will be replaced tomorrow....

I had it before and after the 2022.8.2 install/upgrade so I think it is unrelated. If anything I thought the upgrade actually fixed the problem because the first time it happened was before I did the 2022.8.2 upgrade but the errors came back this past weekend and appeared to happen even more frequently. For me, I picked up on a pattern of when it is about to become a problem because the car shudders/stutters whilst driving just before all the alerts pop up.
I noticed the shuddering about 5-10min before the errors popped up the first time I was on AP and approaching an overpass so I thought it was some new permutation of phantom braking. The second time I was driving the card and it just shuddered/lost power without me moving my foot on the accelerator. So far I have been unable to get the errors to go away and chat on my service ticket hasn't responded.

I had fully expected the Water ingress in wiring loom explanation because it seemed like that was the most common issue but to my surprise, an update SMS from the SC had mentioned "Wheel Speed Sensor" as the suspected fault which will be replaced tomorrow....
Ahh of course, now you come to mention it my brother had exactly this on his model X 3+ years ago. The wire to the wheel speed sensor hadn't been secured and the tyre had rubbed through it. Also amusingly the passenger seat harness also hadn't been secured and it tore the wires out of one of the plugs. As the wiring harness wasn't a spare on the parts list they had to replace the whole seat ....

• Informative
Reactions: X-Cile
Out of curiosity, which SC did it go in and how long it took for them to fix the problem? Just wondering whether if it is the same place and whether they are picking up on a common theme of a problem. Mine went to Park Royal
Mine's in Park Royal too! Although I took the car to them on Friday, it wasn't until today the service technician looked at it (Tommy), and he told me that he'd found the root cause I'd say within an hour. Not fixed yet, as they're waiting for parts.

Errors on display attached.

Attachments

• 20220322_195841.jpg
    20220322_195841.jpg
    473.9 KB · Views: 248
Mine's in Park Royal too! Although I took the car to them on Friday, it wasn't until today the service technician looked at it (Tommy), and he told me that he'd found the root cause I'd say within an hour. Not fixed yet, as they're waiting for parts.

Errors on display attached.

Ah that is great, hopefully that means they pick up on a common theme then and have both our cars fixed relatively quickly. The technician assigned to mine was Mark. As I said, they towed my car to Park Royal yesterday morning and had the diagnostic reasoning by yesterday afternoon (Wheel Speed Sensor). Parts supposedly being delivered today and an ETA to get it all done is eod tomorrow.

Reactions: Filbert1884
This is happening to me after I hit a dip in the road on the freeway. It wasn't a huge dip that made a jarring sound or anything, just an indention that caused the car to go up and down. The car immediately shut down steering assist, ABS braking, regen braking. I pulled over and turned the car off and on and the errors went away and functions were restored, however as I drove more there was another small dip which caused all the same shutdowns and errors again. When I drove this morning there was another dip and it happened all over again. I made a service appointment, but the earliest they can see me is a week from today. I feel that something might have pulled loose on the first dip that now makes the car shut down and have errors on any dip.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Mine turned out to be an issue with the left front wheel speed sensor. The wire behind the wheel well liner had corroded and shorted out. No answer as to why one out of four wheels having an issue would disable everything and make the car basically undriveable.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna