Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 Weeks In and Scheduled 1st Service Appt - TPMS Fault

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, it took 2 weeks but looks like I've got my first issue requiring a service appointment. Got the TPMS Fault last night and it's not going away. All tires are at the correct pressure per my gauge and the vehicles readings. I do note, however, that 3 of the 4 tires show the reading current as of a few minutes ago. The remaining tire (front right) shows a reading of "2 Days Ago". I'm guessing that wheel sensor has an issue. I tried deflating the tire by about 15psi and then refilling it. Drove it for about 15 minutes and the light is still on. Soonest available service is a week from tomorrow so I guess it's got a week to see if it corrects itself before the service.

Are the service visits typically fairly efficient or are you setting around waiting a lot? Just wondering what to expect.

I took delivery of my 23 MYLR on 12/31/22. The "Backlite" (rear windshield) glass was chipped in one corner and my rear seats would not fold properly when pushing the buttons in the trunk. Besides that the car was perfect so I accepted delivery in order to not miss the $8000 discount. Service Advisor recommended I make the service appointment before leaving the lot so everything was documented. I did so right away.

I made a service appointment for 01/14/23 as that was the earliest available. Around 01/03/23 I received a notification on the Tesla app that my service center appointment was being switched to a mobile appointment on 01/06/23. I was able to then go in the app and reschedule the mobile appointment for 01/05/23. I read the new mobile service request and noticed it was only for the Backlite glass. I messaged on the app again and they made a second mobile appointment for 01/05/23 for the seat concerns.

01/05/23 came along and the technician text me letting me know he would be at my house in about 35 minutes. He showed up on time. I thought he would be taking care of both issues but he was only there for the seat concern. He replaced the switch on the rear seats and while my seats do lower when you push the buttons it still doesn't do it the same way as other Model Y. My left rear seats lower very very slowly. The right rear seat practically slams down. He said it was working and left. He was very nice but I felt like unless the seats stop working altogether Tesla won't fix it.

I waited the rest of the day for the other appointment since the window was from 8am to 1pm. Never received a call or text or notification. No one showed up. Appointment displayed "canceled" later that evening.

01/06/23 made another service request for the Backlite glass. Appointment was at service center for 01/09/23. This time they did not switch it to a mobile appointment. I took the car in at 8am 01/09/23. They did not provide a loaner as it was a same day service type of thing. I was issued $100 Uber credit. My car was moved and it sat in their parking lot all day. I messaged before the end of day to find out the status and I was told that my charging port was broken and would require replacement. They would have the parts the next day. 01/10/23 all day I waited and no word. I messaged around 5pm requesting a loaner for today as the app was showing 1/13/23 completion. Tesla also canceled my Uber vouchers so I had to message and have them give me more Uber credits. They approved the loaner. I slept in today and did not Uber to get the loaner. My car was actually finished by 10am today 1/11/23. I picked up the car and the glass repair was done perfectly. Charging port looked fine. Wheels were fine. Paint was fine. I drove off the lot and went home. After the direct sun was gone I decided to do a quick rinse of the car with my pressure washer as it was quite dusty. I noticed on the right rear panel the tech left whatever black sealant was used for the glass on my paint. Was a pain in the ass to remove. Even claying didn't do anything. I had to use rubbing alcohol and a microfiber and finally was able to get it off. I was careful so no scratches.

Overall my service experience has been rather poor. I got better service from my Kia stealership and even then I thought they were poor. They are cordial and the app makes it easy to get information but there's no easy way to call and speak to someone if you want to. Sometimes it feels like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing at Tesla. At least my car is solid and I don't anticipate needing service anytime soon. That is until I get frustrated that the seats still aren't fixed to my satisfaction and decide to try again. I guess I shouldn't care that my left rear seats fold in 3 seconds instead of 1 second. But when I test drove a Model Y in 2020 and the ones I've seen at the Tesla stores... both seats fold equally fast.

TLDR; YMMV and you will either get great service or poor or something in between. May the odds be ever in your favor.

Last edited:
Was off today and got a call from the Service Center telling me they could get my car done today if I wanted to stop by anytime before 2pm. Thankfully I was working from home today so I stopped in. The ended up replacing one of the TPMS sensors. I was there about an hour with about half that time was them charging the car. Just glad I was able to get it done earlier than late next week.

Also noticed that all tires were reading 45psi. Think I need to lower those a bit. haha

I had one of my TPMS fail in about the same time period. No biggie and will be covered under warranty. Remember to adjust pressure when the car has been sitting a while and the tires are cold. +_ 3 psi is expected when the tires have been driven at highway speeds.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedSupraT