Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.X battery capacity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep us updated on that CAC value of 157 as you continue to drive the vehicle (if you do). I’m curious if the quality of the new packs will stand up. As @jfischer noted, the previous 2018 reman. packs began with a high CAC but dropped after they balanced from normal driving.

20201210_101254.jpg

Keep us updated on that CAC value of 157 as you continue to drive the vehicle (if you do). I’m curious if the quality of the new packs will stand up. As @jfischer noted, the previous 2018 reman. packs began with a high CAC but dropped after they balanced from normal driving.

My CAC is down to 134 after a year of mild use and a year of "repair" sitting in Seattle with Carl....

Lets hope the newer packs have a higher stability and less loss...

Reactions: DeedWest
Differences between batteries:
the 1.5ers had slightly less kWh than the later 2.x (153 kWh compared to 156 kWh).
also the 1.5 don't have a separate 12V battery, they get it from the 2 most right sheets in the battery pack which in some cases caused dead battery packs (12V power drainage over longer time period and no recharging)...

As fas as I am informed only one out of the ones who got a 3.0 pack doesn't have to deal with the unexpected high degradation.
Tesla Frankfurt/Germany made an exchange of an bricked 2.0 for around 14k Euros incl. labor using a refurbed pack.
Several third party companies are trying to get a replacement to market but nothing seen for sale so far.

One thing about the CAC:
Keep in mind that it is a CALCULATED value and therefore isn't (always) correct. For example Tesla papers mention that customers could experience a CAC value drop due to low amperage charging only and the value could go up again using a HPC...

It would be interesting to know if the software would have to been adapted when using newer cells with a different chemistry than the original laptop cells. Since the 3.0 pack also included modifications on the PEM (I am not aware of what's being changed and it would like to know!) I assume that there were also software adjustments to it...

Differences between batteries:
the 1.5ers had slightly less kWh than the later 2.x (153 kWh compared to 156 kWh).

I think you mean 53kWh vs 56kWh (and 80kWh for the R80 3.0 packs?).

Also, not certain that even that is correct. The documentation I have seen says that the sheets are interchangeable between 1.5 and 2.x cars, so long as the CAC is comparable.

In other threads different mAh types of batteries, even mixing them to gain some benefits have been discussed (doesn't mean the packs are really done in this way though!). Even the reduction of the announced kWh from 56 to 53 is mentioned....
And sheets are different since the 1.5er for example have rivets while later packs were spot welded. The question is if and if so how Tesla changed things in the pack. Maybe Carl Meadlock or/and Pete Gruber have further knowledge of this.
Assuming that for example in 2015/2016 an average of 25 changes per week were applied in the production of the Model S due to feedback from SeCs and engineering one could assume that in a probably lower rate this happened with the Roadster too. Especially in the early Signature 100 almost every car is a little different...
- just my two cents - ;)

I would love to pick early engineers brains (if they still remember...) to get more info about all this stuff...